Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Problems from cutouts (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87574)

LS3_Man 06-04-2010 06:38 AM

Problems from cutouts

I installed the QTP oval cutouts on my car a couple of months ago and now am having big problems. To start this whole thing off, earlier this week I had my car in competitive mode, dropped the clutch, and it is still at the dealer waiting for the broken axle to be shipped in and fixed. I got a call from my dealer the next day after they started looking at it telling me I needed to come look at my car. He said that they looked at my cutouts and that my car was “extremely dangerous” from those cutouts. I figured that it probably wasn’t something to worry too much about, and he was exaggerating it a bit since they was a modification to the car. It turned out that it was actually a big deal like they said. My driver’s side cutout was causing the floorboard under the back seat to start being discolored from all the heat thrown on it. The tech said that over time with this heating and cooling process that it would start to rust, which makes sense. But the bad part was the problems on the right side. The way this cutout was designed was blowing the exhaust back towards the 4 brake and fuel lines. It has actually melted one of the plastic clamps that mounts those lines to the floorboard, so they were barely attached. If those lines became too hot and melted, it would either be no brakes in the rear, or an explosion from hot exhaust and leaking gas…

I had an exhaust shop weld these cutouts on, and we followed the directions just like they said. And I have the 2 turndowns that go over the butterfly valves, too. I know that they’ve been put on the right way, so that’s why I don’t understand why there’s these problems. This has made me wonder why no one else has had these problems. Or do other people have them too, and don’t know it yet? Needless to say I won’t have those open until this thing can be fixed or taken off. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

v6sonoma 06-04-2010 07:34 AM

Well that's not good!

MoranoRacing 06-04-2010 07:42 AM

Have you been driving around with open headers for a while. It wouldn't be something you should do often. Its meant for the track or if you just want to show off a bit.

LS3_Man 06-05-2010 02:24 PM

I do drive around with them open pretty often, but that's the whole reason I bought them was to use them.

danhr 06-05-2010 02:33 PM

if you want something that loud 24/7, then just sell the cut outs and go out and get a muffler delete kit or a slp loudmouth 1 exhaust

tuner1 06-05-2010 02:35 PM

cut outs are always a problem, especially on a daily driver...next they will get stuck and not close or just leak...imo

Ditch the cut outs

BlaSSt Off 06-05-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danhr (Post 1949521)
if you want something that loud 24/7, then just sell the cut outs and go out and get a muffler delete kit or a slp loudmouth 1 exhaust

:facepalm: A muffler delete is not even close to being as loud as cut outs.

HaZe_X 06-05-2010 02:46 PM

I have QTP cutouts also, Had them on for maybe 3-4 months now and drive around with them open 99% of the time. Now your making me think twice about keeping them...

Wonder what QTP has to say about this?

danhr 06-05-2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off (Post 1949557)
:facepalm: A muffler delete is not even close to being as loud as cut outs.

maybe YOUR muffler delete isn't

mine is!

or as said before.... go with a slp lm1, which imo is even louder than cutouts