Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Camaro5 members take over FONTANA. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356795)

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 05:48 PM

Camaro5 members take over FONTANA.

9 Attachment(s)
Awhile back i started to organize a 1LE track day in that section of the forum with Speedventures. We had 6 but 3 had other commitments, invited a local guy but he decided to run autocross instead. We had 3 LE's, two ZL1's, and a couple SS's, and a couple RS's. Eleven Camaro's total, 10 are C5 members, quite a sight.

Last year sometime at one of the car shows i meet Redbolt(Byron)he has a ZL1, and my 1LE was the 1st he had seen,so obviously we started talking. He noticed my harness/belt set up and asked whats up. I told him what i do, and he needs to get that ZL1 on track. I was asked if i would like to join the Inland Empire Camaro Club, and of course i did.

When Redbolt drove up his wife got out of the car and said so i have you to thank for ALL this, we smiled then she says she hated me, she was only joking, and a very funny moment.I have only been able to make a couple of the events as im always working, but at one we all talked about doing a track day, well long story short that was yesterday. IECC glad you guy's showed up:thumb:

Im sure most know by now i used to race bikes, and both Fontana and Willow springs are my home track, so you could say i know them intimately. My best time in my 1LE was 2:00, which is very fast, i so wanted to break that barrier, well i shattered it with a 1:54.628 http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx I was 7th fastest of the day,but everyone in front wasn't in a "STOCK" car(except 1 Z-06) their all in race cars.

I knew there was no way i could improve my time in the infield as im as fast as you can go through there, i knew i had to let her fly through the banking. I usually run around 115 through there, but i ran around 130 mph. When i looked at my times i would have been just fine seeing a 1:58, but when i saw the 1:54 :confused0068:i was blown away. When you consider a stock(except CAI)2013 1LE can do this, well that's pretty cool.
I recently installed the Quantum brake cooling system, and had something to compare it to. With 2 1LE's right off track our rotors should basically be identical KRich2587 were in the 700 degree area mine were in the 500 range so it definitely works.

The 1st video is session #1 and the 2nd is part #2 of the 1st session.This was my fastest session of the day.In the 2nd session 3rd video after i dispose of the BMW im in the hunt for that yellow Vette, and at 2:43 i lose all that i worked for as i got sideways. I reeled him back in and at 5:10 of the video he bottoms out is splitter and it explodes all over, i had to dodge flying pieces. I didn't know what it was at the time. In the Mazda right in front of me when the splitter explodes is 1LE site member Balue, riding with his brother.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gje...yxezW8yHrxFvSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mECD...yxezW8yHrxFvSA

The 3rd video was fun as i got to pass a bunch of people, now this is the advanced group and open passing/race like conditions exist that i was running all day. There was a Z-06 slowly catching me, and at 12:04 with his superior power makes his pass. From this point on the video is really good as were going at it, and the footage is awesome. At around 14:45 you will see a huge pass under him on the banking around 135 mph, and then at 15:18 i throw it away again and cant get stopped. I drove straight to his pit after the session to let him know i wasn't trying to dive bomb him. I thought his wife was going to kiss me she was so happy, and we all said what a *ucking rush that was. In the download meeting they asked what i had in my 1LE and i said bone stock, they were blown away, and in front of everyone said man this guy can drive, that was very cool to hear.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOKb...yxezW8yHrxFvSA

The 4th video is just for fun, i wanted to get the camera as close to the wall at speed thought it would look cool, and it does.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp3A...yxezW8yHrxFvSA

In this video site member KRich2587 and i were in the same garage and thought how cool to shoot video of 2 1LE's running together. We were only probably running at 80% as we were shooting video not going for lap times. You will see Boss 302 pass us, he probably thinks he passed 2 LE's...believe me he didn't. Hopefully someone here(Norm Peterson :))can bust his bubble. KRich2587's 1LE has a cam, headers, no cat's and a tune, and is putting down some serious HP. His 1st time there and he is putting down 1:56, and im 1:54, believe me that Boss didn't pass us.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEhP...yxezW8yHrxFvSA

The last video is side by side NPP, one stock and one not.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEV_...yxezW8yHrxFvSA

BigBlock69RS 05-05-2014 06:00 PM

Wow looks like a great day. Video was really good thanks for sharing!

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 06:22 PM

My pleasure,glad you enjoyed.

Balue 05-05-2014 07:09 PM

Here is a link to the pics i took. Lots are close to the same shots! hahaha

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y2dyfifrkhb40c7/1cKVUjZjcx

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balue (Post 7639697)
Here is a link to the pics i took. Lots are close to the same shots! hahaha

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/y2dyfifrkhb40c7/1cKVUjZjcx

That's cause we were next to each other :):pound:
I know you wanted to ride with me, and i know i tried, but timing wasn't on our side, guess we'll have to do this again:thumbsup:

Balue 05-05-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 7639760)
he bottoms out is splitter and it explodes all over, i had to dodge flying pieces. I didn't know what it was at the time. In the Mazda right in front of me when the splitter explodes is 1LE site member Balue, riding with his brother.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gje...yxezW8yHrxFvSA

You should have seen this from our position! :confused0068: Good thing it was only splitter and not some heavy metal pieces!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 7639760)
That's cause we were next to each other :):pound:
I know you wanted to ride with me, and i know i tried, but timing wasn't on our side, guess we'll have to do this again:thumbsup:

Yeah didn't work out that day but for sure again! I am shooting for the sub 2:00. Will take you up on that ride then so I can find me some time.

90503 05-05-2014 07:54 PM

Mark, great vids...Thanks for setting this up....Will do it again next time...Had a blast...my best was a 2:05....I love that track...

Tom

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 07:56 PM

Hey Tom, thanks, yeah it was quite a blast. Cool your running Spring mountian, please let us know how it goes. My main goal this year is to run Miller motorsports complex. Can you believe the front stretch is like a mile long :)

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balue (Post 7639846)
You should have seen this from our position! :confused0068: Good thing it was only splitter and not some heavy metal pieces!

Yeah didn't work out that day but for sure again! I am shooting for the sub 2:00. Will take you up on that ride then so I can find me some time.

I have the time, but with my instructing duties, and you having to be in the blue group it just didn't work. Next time you wont be in that group, so there wont be any time restraints, and we'll rock the place again:thumb:

Jenner 05-05-2014 08:00 PM

Looks like a lot if fun. I've only done auto, but definitely want to try this soon!

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenner (Post 7639911)
Looks like a lot if fun. I've only done auto, but definitely want to try this soon!

Then your up for the next one?

KRich2587 05-05-2014 08:07 PM

What a blast that was and that track cause me issues I never had on any other track. I almost overheated and I truly see the need for an oil cooler after that. I ran chuckwalla same setup no issues. I had noise from my bushings overheated so I was glad I got my 1:56.098 before all that I spoke with Ryne @ CMS and I'll be installing a huge oil cooler and a lower temp tstat which should take care of these issues on a track like Fontana. Overall it was an amazing weekend I caught a Porsche GT3 and a Nissan GTR in the turns!!! I couldn't be happier and it was an amazing turnout!!

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 08:10 PM

Hey Kirk, was the overheating because of the mod's you did?

MBS 05-05-2014 08:10 PM

Great videos Cornerspeed !! Way to represent the Camaros , beating on stangs and ricers and beamers are great , The only thing that saved that Vette was his speed in the straights , You hammered him hard in the turns and he could not keep you off him . Thanks for posting

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 08:12 PM

Thanks man, it was a blast!

PYROLYSIS 05-05-2014 08:18 PM

Awesome. I always enjoy these threads. I watched the side by side video in the other thread and had no idea y'all were only at 80%. Nice driving.

Jenner 05-05-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 7639935)
Then your up for the next one?

Maybe in a few months. I don't think my car is ready for this.

Q'smuscle 05-05-2014 08:18 PM

Nice ! Man, that looks like fun in the sun!

Balue 05-05-2014 08:24 PM

Me and my brother are planning to run Willow in June with speed ventures.

Here are a few of my shots from yesterday. I still need to DL the videos and get them up.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/DSC_0490.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/DSC_0506.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/DSC_0460.jpg

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balue (Post 7640016)
Me and my brother are planning to run Willow in June with speed ventures.

Here are a few of my shots from yesterday. I still need to DL the videos and get them up.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/DSC_0490.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/DSC_0506.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/DSC_0460.jpg

Willow is a blast and you will have fun, just know Willow is brutal on tires.

KRich2587 05-05-2014 08:30 PM

Yeah I was getting super hot cause of the mods more power = more heat Ryne said he had heat issues then he changed the tstat and fixed it he also had a huge oil cooler on his 1LE so im going to wait until I do those upgrades before I track again

CHMSC 05-05-2014 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 (Post 7639956)
Hey Kirk, was the overheating because of the mod's you did?

I had that problem and I am stock. Last time I was there I couldn't go all out because my oil temps were too high and my oil pressure was way to low. Need an oil cooler and good oil.

KaBoom1701 05-05-2014 08:33 PM

Man this was a blast!

I was the BRM 13' RS. Best time was 2:11. I think good for a first timer. :)

I hit 128mph on the straight away once. During the 4th session my ACS T-5 splitter came loose and I felt a crazy vibration at over 100mph. I thought I blew a tire. I was on the last lap of the session so I just drove slow and gave everyone point by's. A quick fix in the garage and I was out for the 5th session. I got stuck behind a 45th edition Camaro with no courtesy point by....

It was good to see you and your 1LE in person. I can't wait to install my "Red" 1LE Brembo brakes soon. I was going to ask if I could ride along to see how you drive and learn some tips but I caught up in the moment and forgot to ask you. lol

You missed Bryon spinning out on the last session! I think he *hit some brinks thinking he broke his car. After a quick ignition restart he was off and running again.

Oh, and welcome to the Inland Empire Camaro Club! :)

cornerspeed92 05-05-2014 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHMSC (Post 7640049)
I had that problem and I am stock. Last time I was there I couldn't go all out because my oil temps were too high and my oil pressure was way to low. Need an oil cooler and good oil.

I remember you saying something about low oil pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 7640051)
Man this was a blast!

I was the BRM 13' RS. Best time was 2:16. I think good for a first timer. :)

I hit 128mph on the straight away once. During the 4th session my ACS T-5 splitter came loose and I felt a crazy vibration at over 100mph. I thought I blew a tire. I was on the last lap of the session so I just drove slow and gave everyone point by's. A quick fix in the garage and I was out for the 5th session. I got stuck behind a 45th edition Camaro with no courtesy point by....

It was good to see you and your 1LE in person. I can't wait to install my "Red" 1LE Brembo brakes soon. I was going to ask if I could ride along to see how you drive and learn some tips but I caught up in the moment and forgot to ask you. lol

You missed Bryon spinning out on the last session! I think he *hit some brinks thinking he broke his car. After a quick ignition restart he was off and running again.

You're more then welcome to ride along with me. I always wondered after we talked at Willow, how did you know this was me?

KRich2587 05-05-2014 08:43 PM

Yeah I run VR1 10w30 per CMS I didn't really have oil pressure issues as I have the melling pump. first day I had no issues at all. but after the second session day two I would start creeping up the temp scale.

KaBoom1701 05-05-2014 09:34 PM

Intuition.... :)

CHMSC 05-05-2014 09:46 PM

I spoke with Ryne at CMS who was at the track that weekend and he said get rid of the shitty oil and your pressure issues will be gone. Oil cooler would help as well. Just an FYI Mark.

Aero_Sport_Concepts 05-05-2014 10:11 PM

First Time out but will not be my last. Had a Blast. Most fun i had in a long time. I think i found a New Hobby. I'll be running with the big boys soon. Ordering my 1LE in late July. Can't wait. Love my LT/RS but i need MORE.

rgreene1971 05-05-2014 10:20 PM

Would love to be a part of this if you guys ever decide to hold another day like this one.

KRich2587 05-05-2014 10:52 PM

He told me straight up don't go so hard with the stock cooler lol

Jenner 05-05-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 (Post 7640051)
Man this was a blast!

I was the BRM 13' RS. Best time was 2:11. I think good for a first timer. :)

You ran with the stock brakes?

KRich2587 05-05-2014 11:32 PM

nothing wrong with taking a completely stock car out. People get caught up in making their car track ready but how do you know what improvements you've made without trying before hand? Just make sure your tires are good and have enough pad left and hit the track!!

Jenner 05-05-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRich2587 (Post 7640523)
nothing wrong with taking a completely stock car out. People get caught up in making their car track ready but how do you know what improvements you've made without trying before hand? Just make sure your tires are good and have enough pad left and hit the track!!

Oh ok. Brakes and tires were the only things holding me back

Orange Crush 1LE 05-06-2014 12:55 AM

Man, that is just awesome guys. Cornerspeed, you were cooking for a stock 1LE, I can't believe that time! I don't know the track but can tell by the cars you are mixing it up with, you were flat flying, LOL. :thumbup:

The yellow Z06 is driven by a friend of mine, Jesse. Good guy, I met him at Buttonwillow at his first ever tracking event, he's clearly come a long way and just barely edged you despite his HP and weight advantages. Jesse ran a 1:40 at Willow Springs when I was there, then recently a 1:34 with slicks the next time out. He's hooked like us.

And Kirk, kicking ass and taking names! Tell us the truth, this isn't really your 6th track day :clap2:

Cornerspeed, don't laugh but I bought a Roval track decal that was going on my back window next to Buttonwillow, Thunderhill and Willow Springs. Mark my words, I'll get a chance to apply that decal. I'll be running NASA time trials at Sonoma and Laguna Seca this year, along with Thunderhill and maybe Buttonwillow. Hopefully we will finally meet up and track one day soon.

Must have been cool to run with 11 Camaros. Good times gentlemen.

SS PANTHER 05-06-2014 03:46 AM

That was awesome. Can convertibles run if they have a roll bar system?

KRich2587 05-06-2014 07:34 AM

yes verts can run with roll bars... Todd don't take the one thing im naturally good at away from me lol although I maintain its the car not the driver I have a long ways to go

wakespeak 05-06-2014 11:19 AM

Hi guys. I ran in an HPDE at Texas world speedway in a stock SS this weekend. Oil temps were at the third tick but pressure was same as street use. 3rd gear on the track to redline with a 3-4 shift on the main straight.

I am using Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-30, which is a European spec oil with an HTHS of 3.7 (meaning it holds viscosity at high temps). I get it on Amazon. Might be worth trying.

KaBoom1701 05-06-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenner (Post 7640478)
You ran with the stock brakes?

I have Goodyear tires on. (See below in my sig) The tires alone made a HUGE difference in the corners.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRich2587 (Post 7640523)

Amen. I see too many peeps just have garage queens and modding the heck out of the cars waiting for the perfect track set up but they never go to the track! My main reason for staying with the OEM V6 brakes at my first real track event was to see and feel the difference when I upgrade to my SS Brembo's.

I also have a 1LE suspension track pack waiting to install but I want to install the Brembo's first, track the car, then install the 1LE suspension so I can feel what changes were made. :thumb:

Spoolin 05-06-2014 12:03 PM

Cornerspeed, this looks like a great little gtg that you put on! Please include me in your next round of invites if you would. I have a 2014 summit white 1LE that I have yet to take to the track but have been itching to. Only track event I ever did was in my race truck put on by truckin magazine, it was so fun that I went out and bought myself a real track car!! (my 1LE)

Thanks for the updates and sharing your experience!

cornerspeed92 05-06-2014 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickrichic (Post 7640336)
First Time out but will not be my last. Had a Blast. Most fun i had in a long time. I think i found a New Hobby. I'll be running with the big boys soon. Ordering my 1LE in late July. Can't wait. Love my LT/RS but i need MORE.

It was really good you guy's made it out, and glad you're coming back. I too had a 1LT/RS, wait til you feel the difference when you run your 1LE.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rgreene1971 (Post 7640360)
Would love to be a part of this if you guys ever decide to hold another day like this one.

Oh yeah it will happen again and would love to have you there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE (Post 7640621)
Man, that is just awesome guys. Cornerspeed, you were cooking for a stock 1LE, I can't believe that time! I don't know the track but can tell by the cars you are mixing it up with, you were flat flying, LOL. :thumbup:

The yellow Z06 is driven by a friend of mine, Jesse. Good guy, I met him at Buttonwillow at his first ever tracking event, he's clearly come a long way and just barely edged you despite his HP and weight advantages. Jesse ran a 1:40 at Willow Springs when I was there, then recently a 1:34 with slicks the next time out. He's hooked like us.

And Kirk, kicking ass and taking names! Tell us the truth, this isn't really your 6th track day :clap2:

Cornerspeed, don't laugh but I bought a Roval track decal that was going on my back window next to Buttonwillow, Thunderhill and Willow Springs. Mark my words, I'll get a chance to apply that decal. I'll be running NASA time trials at Sonoma and Laguna Seca this year, along with Thunderhill and maybe Buttonwillow. Hopefully we will finally meet up and track one day soon.

Must have been cool to run with 11 Camaros. Good times gentlemen.

Thanks Todd, yeah i brought my A game. I was 7th fastest overall, but that's mixing apples and oranges as the 1st 5 are actually "RACECARS" so on a level playing field i was 2nd fastest only to a Z-O6. I finished 2nd by like what...a lug nut.Here are the times, open the dates and click on May 4th. I too am in the same quandary.I have Miller motorsports park, but have to wait til Aug. to earn that badge. http://www.speedventures.com/results/Default.aspx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoolin (Post 7641505)
Cornerspeed, this looks like a great little gtg that you put on! Please include me in your next round of invites if you would. I have a 2014 summit white 1LE that I have yet to take to the track but have been itching to. Only track event I ever did was in my race truck put on by truckin magazine, it was so fun that I went out and bought myself a real track car!! (my 1LE)

Thanks for the updates and sharing your experience!

Of course, you are more then welcome to run with us. Maybe with getting the homepage again we will have 10 1LE's next time.