CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=234)
-   -   Any piston issues? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=530643)

notagto 06-03-2018 11:18 PM

Any piston issues?

Hey everyone,

In the market for a Camaro and have a love/hate relationship with the LTG. I currently have a 2015 Regal with the LTG and just cracked a piston at the ringlands. Warranty covered replacing the 4 pistons etc. I love the engine and have been driving turbo cars most of my adult life (Saab, Mazdaspeed, Regal)

I have read on here that the engine is different enough to avoid these issues in the Camaro. Anything to confirm that is the case? The potential in this engine is incredible! The fact that stock its almost as fast as my GTO is just icing on the cake lol.

Thanks for any info.

Evil-Bee-NH 06-04-2018 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notagto (Post 10207131)
Hey everyone,

In the market for a Camaro and have a love/hate relationship with the LTG. I currently have a 2015 Regal with the LTG and just cracked a piston at the ringlands. Warranty covered replacing the 4 pistons etc. I love the engine and have been driving turbo cars most of my adult life (Saab, Mazdaspeed, Regal)

I have read on here that the engine is different enough to avoid these issues in the Camaro. Anything to confirm that is the case? The potential in this engine is incredible! The fact that stock its almost as fast as my GTO is just icing on the cake lol.

Thanks for any info.

I haven't heard of any issues outside Jason@JacFab's but he's pushing limits for research so not an accurate basis to go off of for moderate bolt-on builds and daily use.

6th_gen_gino 06-04-2018 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 10207248)
I haven't heard of any issues outside Jason@JacFab's but he's pushing limits for research so not an accurate basis to go off of for moderate bolt-on builds and daily use.

What he said :amen:

Elite Engineering 06-06-2018 07:42 AM

The issue plagues all GDI engines, and especially forced induction versions. The issue is 2 fold, first is the poor design of the PCV system allows oil/water/gunk to accumulate in the intercooler and once it reaches enough it can be pushed into the combustion chamber and causes hydrolock. This we correct with our catchcan system designed for the 2.0T.

The second cause is LSPI. Low Speed Pre Ignition. This occurs when the excessive fuel pushed past the rings into the crankcase mixes with oil most and is pushed behind the top compression rings. If it ignites, it is a violent explosion and breaks the piston at the same area.
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6u3zcxy9.jpg

This can also bend a rod and you will most likely not know aside from slight miss:
http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/...psq0umpo8t.jpg

This is also eliminated with our dual valve E2-X system as we provide full time evacuation flushing and removing these compounds and more from the crankcase.

Then, Amsoil has reformulated all of their street oils to render these vapors non explosive. Mobile one recently did as well, but those are the ONLY oils were currently aware of that address this.

And GM starting in model year 2016 made the piston thinker in that area so they are stronger and less prone to the common failures prior.

Hope this helps all understand even more these are NOT the engines of the past, and the shortened warranty periods on GDI engines also reflects this.

dekes1 06-06-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH (Post 10207248)

In addition to Jason, don't forget that @SUN blew up his LTG, @Coolest Courier did as well, and at least 2 guys with 17/18 ATS. But, in every one of those cases, there was aftermarket tuning. Keep it stock and you have a very very low chance of any problems. Go for more power and the odds get worse.

Evil-Bee-NH 06-06-2018 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekes1 (Post 10209778)
In addition to Jason, don't forget that @SUN blew up his LTG, @Coolest Courier did as well, and at least 2 guys with 17/18 ATS. But, in every one of those cases, there was aftermarket tuning. Keep it stock and you have a very very low chance of any problems. Go for more power and the odds get worse.

Forgot about @SUN but @Coolest Couriers wasn't a piston issue at all. It was caused by something else alot less catastrophic but still shitty.

cooper1965 06-06-2018 01:40 PM

OP, I can tell you GM global warranty LTG claims on piston related issues dropped significantly after the 2015 model year. This includes Cadillac, Chevy, and Buick. Some of that could be chalked up to mileage, but not to the extent of almost non-existence.

Jason@JacFab 06-09-2018 12:38 AM

Right, Sun was pushing it, and so was I... I personally don’t know that I believe the coolests video of the blown boot... when I saw it I was like “wtf, this is your mechanic???” As he was Reving it multiple times to show the “issue”. More for YouTube drama i would hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason@JacFab 06-09-2018 12:43 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...308d5a1688.jpg

Here’s my broken piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eos 06-09-2018 05:03 AM

Hi Notagto!,
just for your info, GM has released a service bulletin (17-NA-039) that suggests some strict kind of engine lubricants (low calcium oils)..

"General Motors has identified an issue with the use of certain oils in the 2.0L turbo engine (LTG) that could result in premature engine piston failure. When performing an oil change on the 2.0L turbo engine, it is required to use a low calcium oil, ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30. If ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is not available, use Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil or Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30.".

See you!!,
Eos

6th_gen_gino 06-09-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eos (Post 10212815)
Hi Notagto!,
just for your info, GM has released a service bulletin (17-NA-039) that suggests some strict kind of engine lubricants (low calcium oils)..

"General Motors has identified an issue with the use of certain oils in the 2.0L turbo engine (LTG) that could result in premature engine piston failure. When performing an oil change on the 2.0L turbo engine, it is required to use a low calcium oil, ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30. If ACDelco Dexos1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 is not available, use Mobil1 Full Synthetic 5W-30 oil or Mobil1 Extended Performance 5W-30.".

See you!!,
Eos

Sweet that's the only stuff I used

SUN 06-20-2018 02:29 AM

Yes at this time it s againe i think the 4 pistons... it s the third time i will open my enginefirst time 1-2 pistons second 4 and again 90psi on 4 , my Camaro is to. Paint shop at this time ( win fight with racoon, but with dommage) after that i will re open the engine to see the domage... maybe it s my error...the second time i blow engine is because i missed water/ meth in my tank...

Thandel 06-20-2018 05:48 AM

Anytime elite pushes their cans and designs to you remember one thing their design is flawed and when you show them it is flawed ask questions they will delete their thread. They make a great but very expensive can. Their system design is flawed and they do not list any install instructions on their site for the ltg motor. One very big why is this needed starts at their “you also need the clean side separator” just remember if their design was correct you should have no issue using the factory fresh air in port. They are just trying to sell bs.

Evil-Bee-NH 06-20-2018 09:05 AM

I think people generally know about elites can on here for now. Although people keep buying rpm as well.....