Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Check Your Front Air Deflector! (Loose Fasteners!) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103433)

Banshee 08-31-2010 11:58 AM

Check Your Front Air Deflector! (Loose Fasteners!)

Was helping send some parts to a few guys in Canada who were missing retainers for front air deflector. Two SS models with a total of 17 of 36 two piece retainers missing.

Both had hit a piece of carpet on the freeway, got underneath and checked for damage. No damage to fascia or air deflector (enlarged holes or tears in fascia) but were missing the retainers.

So I went out to my car to make sure I had the right part to send and low and behold, I am missing 9 of 16 with 3 retainers on the last 3 threads. I have not hit any objects and have 8900 miles on car. It appears that they are backing out on their own.

I called 3 local dealerships for warranty work and none had any of these retainers on hand and would take a week. Will be repaired on warranty.

Suggestion...Get underneath and tighten them up. Dunno if Loctite makes a plastic friendly threadlocker, but highly recommended!

Peace!

mhood 08-31-2010 12:10 PM

I had the same problem. Mine actually fell off while my wife was driving it. She noticed and put the air deflector in the trunk. I took it over to my dealer and they put it back on. It's good to hear I was not alone and that it was likely caused by missing retainers. I blamed my wife for running up on a curb when she parked it. LOL

Fireyodm 08-31-2010 04:42 PM

Count me in, got under to change oil and found six missing and all of the others loose. Tightened up the loose ones and went to the dealer. I thought I might be able to just get the replacements and put them in myself. Had to wait for them to take it back and put it on a lift to verify (about an hour) and tell me they did not have any and would order the parts. Zero fun.

BUMBLE-B-TUNA 08-31-2010 10:22 PM

How important are these air deflectors? Mine is gone, dunno where. Its only $30 to replace but does it actually do much? :iono:

MillerTime 08-31-2010 10:38 PM

Personally i don't like the look of mine...it's already deformed from the heat here in az.... already had to tighten the nuts up once and I NEVER run over curbs to crush the deflector either...

Silver2SSRS6spd 08-31-2010 10:43 PM

My car was built in Feb of 2010 and I checked mine while changing my oil the other day and they were all loose. Better that then the loose spoiler bolts.

blake-b 08-31-2010 11:11 PM

I had 2 missing, with the rest being loose, that I noticed when changing the oil. I found a Cadillac dealer that had 10 bolts and 2 nuts in stock. I bought two of each (It was around $24!!!!). When I installed them, I tightened all of them and used green loctite. I'll recheck them in a month or so to make sure they are still fastened.

Chobbs11 09-01-2010 07:37 AM

Read this thread so I checked mine. Almost all were loose! And I've only had the car for a week!

Silver2SSRS6spd 09-01-2010 07:41 AM

You have to love this forum, so much useful information.

Russell James 09-01-2010 12:40 PM

Probably designed by the rear spoiler engineer. Maybe Loctite is just a US thing, Canada and Austrailia are probably going - Loctite, wtf is that :iono:.

BUMBLE-B-TUNA 09-02-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 2285815)
Probably designed by the rear spoiler engineer. Maybe Loctite is just a US thing, Canada and Austrailia are probably going - Loctite, wtf is that :iono:.

Ya up here in Canada its all about Toques and Duct Tape, eh!:canada:
ps: Soooory if I offended anyone, lol.

KnightRiderSS 07-08-2012 01:48 PM

Anyone have a link where you can purchase them online?

Avenging Orange 07-08-2012 07:24 PM

I was missing 6. Just went to the hardware and picked up some nylon nuts n bolts.........cost like $2

i007spectre 07-08-2012 10:33 PM

I had to have new fasteners in mine about 10 months after I bought my car.