Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   110 in Phx and my A/C is acting up! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233355)

jaggedx 06-26-2012 10:56 AM

110 in Phx and my A/C is acting up!

it has happened a couple times now. After driving my car I have stopped and parked for a few minutes and when I re start the car the A/C blows warm. It is still on and in the same setting as when I parked. After getting back on the road it suddenly turns cold again, instantly. This is not normal for GM A/C I have owned nothing but chevys for a long time.

I hate dealers like no other. I would rather stab myself in the face with a fork than to deal with a service writer, But AC is a must for me here in the desert.

armysig 06-26-2012 11:00 AM

You don't have to go to a dealership. You can always find a shop that ASE certified to do the work. Check out Loud Pedel Motorsports, they might be able to help you out.

http://www.loud-pedal.com/

69NMYSS 06-26-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggedx (Post 5191751)
it has happened a couple times now. After driving my car I have stopped and parked for a few minutes and when I re start the car the A/C blows warm. It is still on and in the same setting as when I parked. After getting back on the road it suddenly turns cold again, instantly. This is not normal for GM A/C I have owned nothing but chevys for a long time.

I hate dealers like no other. I would rather stab myself in the face with a fork than to deal with a service writer, But AC is a must for me here in the desert.

I had the same problem when we hit 110 in Fresno. Remember, the engine bay is scorching with the boosted motor in 110 degree weather, so its going to take a second to get cold air moving again.

HalinSS 06-26-2012 11:55 AM

I am in PHX as well and I have a similar condition with my AC. I am pretty sure its normal. Your car is black as well so it will be/stay heat soaked quickly.

AZ-ZL1 06-26-2012 12:07 PM

Only 500 miles so far, but no problems.

Sven59 06-26-2012 12:18 PM

You could give me the car, it is a little cooler in Tucson!

Blown355 06-26-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggedx (Post 5191751)

The exact same thing just happened to me. 97 degrees here. Seemed to work fine after I started moving again. This sucks. I absolutely hate taking my car to the dealership.

FNBADAZ06 06-26-2012 12:27 PM

As an FYI.......for Corvette's, it was found that the A/C systems were overfilled with refrigerant at the factory. When the internal line pressures reached critical during use in the summer heat (I'm in Phoenix as well), the pressure switch will disengage the compressor.
Have a technician check for an overfilled refrigerant status in the A/C system.

Steve at Loud Pedal in Tempe could probably check this for you :)

BoostedX2 06-26-2012 01:49 PM

Same thing happened to me several times. It seems that it will not work until a certain point is reached....perhaps the coolant has to cool down after you stop and turn the car off (at which point it gets real hot) and then starts flowing again...it did not do this in my 2010 SS...

jaggedx 06-26-2012 02:56 PM

Thanks for the input guys, At least it's not just me. That should actually make a diagnosis easier. The refrigerant rail pressure makes sense. I know that GM knows how to make A/C systems. My Black Duramax will freeze your nuggets off on a long trip.

FNBADAZ06 06-26-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggedx (Post 5193310)
Thanks for the input guys, At least it's not just me. That should actually make a diagnosis easier. The refrigerant rail pressure makes sense. I know that GM knows how to make A/C systems. My Black Duramax will freeze your nuggets off on a long trip.

I'm willing to bet you a beer on it.....then I can check out your ride when I collect on it :D

ZL1Dave 06-26-2012 03:10 PM

134 refrigerant requires air flow over the condersor to circulate properly at times. I wouldnt sweat it sounds like its operating normally.

BoostedX2 06-26-2012 03:17 PM

Sure is hot in Louisiana 100+ weather while its "getting ready" to work....

:mad0259:

FNBADAZ06 06-26-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr T (Post 5193466)
Sure is hot in Louisiana 100+ weather while its "getting ready" to work....

:mad0259:

I was born in New Orleans......I feel for you when it get's that hot.
FYI.....113 here in Phoenix yesterday, 111 today ........and it's all heading your way:yikes: