Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Second and Fourth gear noise (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315323)

SSpartan117 08-27-2013 01:48 PM

Second and Fourth gear noise

Hey guys, the other day I was driving my SS and I had switched off my radio on my way back home to hear the engine note. I noticed that under moderate to heavy acceleration, as I shift from first to second gear, there is a noise that seems to be coming from in front of the firewall. It sounded like a belt squeal so I switched off my AC to see if it would stop and it didn't seem to affect the problem. The sound is pretty easy to reproduce, I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I kinda want to have an idea of what I am working with here as far as time away from my baby. I also noticed today that the sound was present, though fainter, shifting from 3rd to 4th. Any ideas? Is this the infamous grind issue that the Tremec TR-6060 are known for? (I always imagined it to be a much harsher sound if it is). Anyways, your help or advice is much appreciated my Camaro brethren!

06_warrior 08-27-2013 02:32 PM

The grinding issue people had was from 1st to 2nd gear but a noticeable grinding sound. Do a search and there are videos of people's cars with the grinding sound.

Chevrolet Customer Svc 08-27-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSpartan117 (Post 6952289)
Hey guys, the other day I was driving my SS and I had switched off my radio on my way back home to hear the engine note. I noticed that under moderate to heavy acceleration, as I shift from first to second gear, there is a noise that seems to be coming from in front of the firewall. It sounded like a belt squeal so I switched off my AC to see if it would stop and it didn't seem to affect the problem. The sound is pretty easy to reproduce, I haven't taken it to the dealer yet because I kinda want to have an idea of what I am working with here as far as time away from my baby. I also noticed today that the sound was present, though fainter, shifting from 3rd to 4th. Any ideas? Is this the infamous grind issue that the Tremec TR-6060 are known for? (I always imagined it to be a much harsher sound if it is). Anyways, your help or advice is much appreciated my Camaro brethren!

SSpartan117,

Greetings and sorry to hear about the gear noise you're hearing. I know that can certainly be frustrating for you. If you'd like, I can schedule an appointment for you to have this diagnosed at your local Chevrolet dealer. Feel free to contact me privately if I can be of further assistance.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

SSpartan117 08-27-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06_warrior (Post 6952448)
The grinding issue people had was from 1st to 2nd gear but a noticeable grinding sound. Do a search and there are videos of people's cars with the grinding sound.

Ok so it's definitely not the grind. Thanks, still no clue as to what that noise is though:noidea:

Marc ss 08-27-2013 10:59 PM

Check the (small) AC belt. Make sure it's not partially off the pulley.