Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Insurance for Modified Cars (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595419)

Armyavi8r 07-27-2021 12:26 AM

Insurance for Modified Cars

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Camaro nation,

I'm looking for recommendations for primary or supplemental auto insurance that covers performance modifications. I'm sure this has come up in a forum, but I was unable to find a thread covering this question.

Thanks!

morepowerjoe 07-27-2021 02:41 AM

Hey buddy I just asked a similar question about a month ago.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593881
Yeah like I said in one of the post in there I have geico, so I gave them a call and told them I was going to do some mods. Then the lady asked me if I have done the mods already 🙄 and I didn't want to lie so I said yes. She then asked me how much in mods have I done so I just threw a number out there and $5000. I asked her if I could call back, she then told me that I had to add the extra $5000 because I had already done the mods. So I went ahead and added the extra coverage because it was only like $20 more a month. I didn't want to tell her that I had 12k in mods because I wasn't sure that I wanted to insure that much because of price. But now if I total my car now I will get 19k instead of 14k. Not bad I guess but I think that next term I might increase it to 25k total because I actually have 12k in mods and repairs.

What insurance carrier do you have?

TheFlyingBananaSS 07-27-2021 06:27 AM

Hagerty

Armyavi8r 07-27-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS (Post 11045905)
Hagerty

I ran a quote. Not too bad, might give them a call. Thank you!

Armyavi8r 07-27-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morepowerjoe (Post 11045884)
Hey buddy I just asked a similar question about a month ago.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=593881
Yeah like I said in one of the post in there I have geico, so I gave them a call and told them I was going to do some mods. Then the lady asked me if I have done the mods already 🙄 and I didn't want to lie so I said yes. She then asked me how much in mods have I done so I just threw a number out there and $5000. I asked her if I could call back, she then told me that I had to add the extra $5000 because I had already done the mods. So I went ahead and added the extra coverage because it was only like $20 more a month. I didn't want to tell her that I had 12k in mods because I wasn't sure that I wanted to insure that much because of price. But now if I total my car now I will get 19k instead of 14k. Not bad I guess but I think that next term I might increase it to 25k total because I actually have 12k in mods and repairs.

What insurance carrier do you have?

I have USAA and they aren't interested in covering modifications. I ran a Hagerty quote; I'll try Geico too and see what I get. Thanks!

Car Nation Videos 07-27-2021 12:41 PM

Call back and ask if you do $7000 more in mods, what would your payment be..

Armyavi8r 07-27-2021 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS (Post 11045905)
Hagerty

Hagerty for the win! Very reasonable quote with enough coverage for my mods! Thanks for the lead!

TheFlyingBananaSS 07-27-2021 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armyavi8r (Post 11046366)
Hagerty for the win! Very reasonable quote with enough coverage for my mods! Thanks for the lead!

Sweet. Glad I was able to help out.

Aqua Blue RS/SS 07-27-2021 10:09 PM

Hagerty here as well, 25K agreed value. you won’t regret it!

Vicster 07-28-2021 05:31 AM

Progressive

I have progressive and my ZL1 is insured for $95,000. I totaled my last ZL1 and they did pay out for the mods (but they depreciated the pay out price from the coverage date). So they paid out like $89,000. They will not pay out for your time working on your own car. I had a spread sheet of all mods with prices and all the receipts. My insurance broker also took pictures of the car and obvious mods.
Hagerty needs for the car to be in a locked garage and limits mileage driven. I do not have a garage, but during the winter when the car is not driven I lower my rates by putting it into storage.

TheFlyingBananaSS 07-28-2021 05:57 AM

Hagerty does NOT limit mileage or require a locked garage. They insured my SS and now my Z06.

morepowerjoe 07-28-2021 06:44 AM

Hagerty asked me how many miles I drive a year and I told them about 7k. So I asked them what if I go over and they told me to just call them and let them know my actual mileage at the end of the year so they could update my records. And they asked me if my car would be parked on the street, under a carport, or in a garage and I told them a garage. So it was unclear whether those were requirements or not. But since the way they asked me I'm guessing no.

Vicster 07-28-2021 07:02 AM

Hagerty

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS (Post 11046480)
Hagerty does NOT limit mileage or require a locked garage. They insured my SS and now my Z06.

Good for you, That is what they told me... When they asked me street, carport or garage I told them carport. They told me no for the carport, but they were working on adding carports.

I remember the main reason they turned me down, I told them I have 1,000hp and modified suspension. Even my insurance broker could not talk them into insuring the car.

All of you saving money on ins. more power to you! I am jealous! Keep it between the lines...
:grayvertshift:

Aqua Blue RS/SS 07-28-2021 07:07 AM

I’ve got Hagerty on my 72 K20 as well and it’s parked in the driveway in front of the house. The Camaro stays in the shop but it wasn’t a big deal if it was outside either. I’ve had them for about 2 years now. I’ve got my Camaro insured for 3K miles a year and the truck for 7K. They told me when I started out with them that it I went over the mileage caps it wasn’t a big deal.