Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Continued off topic discusions. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10411)

zebra 12-08-2008 06:32 PM

Continued off topic discusions.

don't it help your rear traction if you fill the gas tank 1/2 way up with sand to make it heavier over the axle?

DGthe3 12-08-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 212331)
don't it help your rear traction if you fill the gas tank 1/2 way up with sand to make it heavier over the axle?

Sand in the gas tank to add weight over the axle. Hmm well, that would work. Can't say the same about the engine . . .

Camaro_Corvette 12-08-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 212331)

Zebra, thats the craziest thing i have ever heard.

This is the simplest method, okay, First of all check if the temperatures are below freezing or anywhere near it, if they are, expect ice. Now if you expect ice, now this is important, SLOW DOWN! Allow yourself extra space to slow down.

Just yesterday i was going 10 mph and i tried to stop at a stop sign, i started slowing down much earlier than usual and i still sailed through the stop sign. Thank god nobody was there cuz cross traffic didn't have to stop. i have never used chains on a car, nor would i even know where to get them. Add weight to the back of your stang, 100-150lbs should be good that will help a little. But the biggest tip i can giv eyou is to slow down.

zebra 12-08-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 212462)
Sand in the gas tank to add weight over the axle. Hmm well, that would work. Can't say the same about the engine . . .

that's why you fill it with just enough water to cover the sand & let it freeze. that holds the sand together. then top it off with gas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro_corvette (Post 212489)
zebra, thats the craziest thing i have ever heard.

i can keep going with this one. the next step is to drain the oil and run it with a water hose in the block to flush out the summer oil. replace with winter oil for best results

DGthe3 12-08-2008 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra (Post 212533)
that's why you fill it with just enough water to cover the sand & let it freeze. that holds the sand together. then top it off with gas.

i can keep going with this one. the next step is to drain the oil and run it with a water hose in the block to flush out the summer oil. replace with winter oil for best results

don't forget to route the exhaust back into the intake (DEI). Not only does that provide lots of boost, but it also keeps the engine nice and warm.

Back on topic . . .

zebra 12-08-2008 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 212550)
don't forget to route the exhaust back into the intake (DEI). Not only does that provide lots of boost, but it also keeps the engine nice and warm.

Back on topic . . .

exactly! ;) now i digress.

EMB135Driver 12-08-2008 11:15 PM

Guys, I am not much of a mechanic, but am eager to learn. I was wondering if I should maybe use Spring Water to flush out my block....our water has high iron content in it and I dont want it to cause internal rust.

Would it be best to flush it out while the engine is running, or start it up after it's full of water? Do you think that adding some bleach would help to clean it out inside....I really want the inside of my engine to sparkle.

DGthe3 12-08-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMB135Driver (Post 212692)
Guys, I am not much of a mechanic, but am eager to learn. I was wondering if I should maybe use Spring Water to flush out my block....our water has high iron content in it and I dont want it to cause internal rust.

Would it be best to flush it out while the engine is running, or start it up after it's full of water? Do you think that adding some bleach would help to clean it out inside....I really want the inside of my engine to sparkle.

The extra iron will help replenish metal that has been worn away. And you have to drain the oil first, then fill it with water, then start the engine. That will help ensure that all the oil will be removed. Don't add bleach. If anything, add some soap. Laundry detergent is best. Soap bonds oil to water allowing for things to get extra clean. :thumbsup:

DGthe3 12-08-2008 11:28 PM

Continued off topic discusions.

I, and other mods/admin, will periodically move off-topic discussions from other threads here. It saves on the 'back on topic' posts.

TonytheTiger 12-08-2008 11:36 PM

what the hell is going on here?

DGthe3 12-08-2008 11:42 PM

oops. I made this thread after those posts were made. When I moved them from their original thread and merged with this one, I forgot that they get added in chronological order.

zebra 12-08-2008 11:55 PM

didn't mean to derail the winterizing discussion - people just went with it

TAG UR IT 12-09-2008 01:09 AM

If anyone actually follows any of this advice...I'm gonna....

The topics and views expressed in this thread are not that of Camaro5. they are of Zebra & co. :laugh:...make sure I get that disclaimer in there!

DGthe3 12-09-2008 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 212741)
If anyone actually follows any of this advice...I'm gonna....

The topics and views expressed in this thread are not that of Camaro5. they are of Zebra & co. :laugh:...make sure I get that disclaimer in there!

Are you saying that putting sand in the gas tank won't help with traction?