Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   4th Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   P0300 Misfire Code Help (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63022)

black-knight 01-28-2010 12:15 PM

P0300 Misfire Code Help

New member, looking for some insight here.

I have a 1998 Chevrolet Camaro, 3800 V6, five-speed manual transmission, 123,000 miles and bone stock. This makes my second 3800-powered F-Body after my 1998 Firebird which was totaled by an idiot driver. I haven't had the car a month yet and it's giving me the dreaded P0300 Random Misfire code.

So, I replaced the obvious, simple culprits: the plugs, plug wires, and one coil pack that had corrosion on the number one cylinder contact point.

That didn't fix it.

I had a compression test run. Every piston checked out.

So, after driving the car a bit and looking for clues during and after the drive, I notice my catalytic converter was getting red hot. I thought, Ah-ha! So the either the catalytic converter is going bad or it's burning raw gasoline somehow.

So I replaced the cat itself because I sort of figured it would be a least likely culprit sort of thing.

Nope, still nothing.

Then I tried to see if it could be a fuel delivery problem and bought the best synthetic fuel injector cleaner I could buy.

Nope, still runs like s-h-i ... you know the word.

And it's strange because the car did it in the middle of a trip going to town. No warning, no provocation. The car was running excellent, basically like new; plenty of horsepower, no hesitation, never skipping a beat. Then -BAM. It's running worse than some of the other F-Bodies I had test driven before it.

So I am reaching wit's end with this car. And with money running very low, I'm honestly getting close to finding a way to get rid of it.

If anyone can lend any insight as to what might be causing it, I'd appreciate it. I know the only parts left to check are the 02 sensor, which I'm about 90 percent sure isn't bad, the fuel injection system which I also doubt is going bad, and the EGR, which again I don't think is bad.

Dave Coyle 01-28-2010 01:06 PM

I don't know if this will help you but my son-in-law has an 03 Tahuo and had the same problem and it ended up being one of the 4 O2 censers. The thing ran like S@#T, missing and running black soot out the rear exhaust. I really thought it was something worse then that! 3 days in the shop and $300 later, she runs like a dream. As I said, not sure if this will help but if you have not checked the O2's out, it may be worth doing. Good luck.

CamaroSpike23 01-28-2010 02:19 PM

whats your fuel pressure? have you changed the fuel filter? did you check or replace your o2's

black-knight 01-28-2010 03:26 PM

Ran a fuel injector psi test and it's returning 43 - 48 psi. Factory specs are 48 - 55 psi. It's on the low end of the spectrum but nothing that would really suggest a dead injector to me.

black-knight 02-08-2010 01:45 PM

I solved the problem a few days ago and replaced the ICM. No more P0300 code, but now the muffler is rattling like a tin can ... no big deal. It's looking like I'll replace the whole exhaust system from the cat back with a Flowmaster or Borla system.