Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY remove door handle (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116016)

overhaulengines 11-17-2010 04:17 PM

DIY remove door handle

11 Attachment(s)
Attachment 816717

hello, had a request by a member to do a post on removing the door handle. so here it is.

1. tape as in the pic, put some tape also on the end of a flat blade screw driver, carefully pry up the cap that cover the key mechanism.
Attachment 184641

2. remove plug from inside door, use a #20 torx bit and begin to turn counter clockwise until it stops, while turning the screw, wiggle the key lock and lift it out. you might need to pull on the door handle just a bit for the lock to come out.
once the lock is out, screw the torx screw in until it stops, if you look in the hole you can see the 2 teeth move that hold the lock. this is important.
Attachment 184642

Attachment 184643
Attachment 184644
Attachment 184654

now with the lock out of the way, you will have to pull the handle out, like if you are going to open the door and toward the rear at the same time, on the next pick you can see the little lever arm that the handle is pulling on. you will here a snap as it clear and the little lever pops back in. remove door handle.

Attachment 184655

ok now to get the handle back it, i took some thin wire and pulled the little lever forward and pushed the handle in and once it was in i pulled the wire out.
Attachment 184656
Attachment 184657
Attachment 184658

now you can screw the torx bit counter clock wise again and see the teeth going back, you might have to wiggle the door handle a bit the get the lock to seat, once it seats, screw the torx bit in until it stops. Put the cover back on, again you might need to wiggle the door handle a bit.

lupe

Chewy 11-17-2010 06:13 PM

not sure why anyone would need this besides shaved handles, but you can never have too many DIY's

Thanks for taking the time to help people out!

overhaulengines 11-17-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 2555943)
not sure why anyone would need this besides shaved handles, but you can never have too many DIY's

Well, not sure why he wanted to take them off, but the reason I know how is when I painted the car we pulled the door handles off. Maybe he has a messed up lock or maybe pin stripping the car. But it is fun for me to share wat I have learned.

Lupe

buzzy56 11-17-2010 09:25 PM

thanks for sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by overhaulengines (Post 2556443)
Well, not sure why he wanted to take them off, but the reason I know how is when I painted the car we pulled the door handles off. Maybe he has a messed up lock or maybe pin stripping the car. But it is fun for me to share wat I have learned.

Lupe

Thanks for sharing this.You never know when you might need to do this.

VcrusaderV 11-18-2010 12:22 AM

Thanks. Very good instructions.

khabboub 11-23-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewy (Post 2555943)

+1

shy68 02-20-2011 05:13 PM

I had to remove mine.Thanks

overhaulengines 02-20-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shy68 (Post 2865798)
I had to remove mine.Thanks

Glad this helped. Did I miss anything or would u add anything to make it easier?

shy68 02-21-2011 10:03 PM

I removed it just fine,with the instructions you listed.Never seen one like this before.

EpileptikRobot 08-19-2011 02:46 PM

Im thinking about removing mine to paint them. Hope i can follow directions lol.

coolxxx 07-20-2012 06:30 AM

hello man,
can you please explain how could you get the cable out, if you want to install a small led strip from the inside part of the handle?

yzark99 07-21-2012 10:05 AM

Will the passenger's side cover fit over the driver's side lock? I am thinking about deleting the handle lock.

SS 2NV 07-24-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yzark99 (Post 5322899)
Will the passenger's side cover fit over the driver's side lock? I am thinking about deleting the handle lock.

Yes the Passenger side cover works on the Drivers Side. :thumbup: I've had it done for a couple years now and love it.:headbang:

cntryman77 07-24-2012 11:12 AM

there have also been guys who have bought Cruze door handles for a different look...they are a direct replacement...see this thread

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228685

destroyerofu2 07-25-2012 06:19 AM

ok that is so cool

now for the question,,,,

I have an IOM and want black door handles, for a orange and black look.
does anybody with a black camaro want to trade thier black handles for my orange handles. I live in northern central Indiana. (prefer close to meet and swap)

Mazzoni1 10-04-2012 06:16 PM

Okay, so i took my door handle and lock off, but when i go to put it back, i get the door handle in, but when i put the lock thing, its not flush. Also with the screw on the inside, i can no longer twist it all the way, so my door handle is stuck in place. Its either i can use my handle and the lock falls out or vice versa.. No idea how to fix this.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 10-04-2012 07:55 PM

Great writeup! Excellent pics sir!

Yeah, for those who saw the preview at C5F3 and have been watching SEMA builds, there are a bunch of different things that you can do with those doorhandles.

Thanks Lupe for taking the time on this one....
Ivan :headbang:

2011*Camaro*SS 10-07-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS 2NV (Post 5336463)
Yes the Passenger side cover works on the Drivers Side. :thumbup: I've had it done for a couple years now and love it.:headbang:

Where can I get a passenger side door handle for the drivers side?

yixuan 08-22-2013 10:02 PM

Hi, do u know how to open the door without handle ? Cuz I shut the door during the door without handle . Well , I can t put the handle back ,Cuz i can not open the door and I tried open the door inside but the lock was open but can not open the door , Plz give me some help!

overhaulengines 08-24-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yixuan (Post 6931130)
Hi, do u know how to open the door without handle ? Cuz I shut the door during the door without handle . Well , I can t put the handle back ,Cuz i can not open the door and I tried open the door inside but the lock was open but can not open the door , Plz give me some help!

just saw the post, did you figure it out yet?

lupe

SSmokinSS 02-25-2014 10:44 PM

Just a quick note on this, if anyone cares. :)
There is no need to pop of the cover. Just start with the torx screw. Back it off until you can wiggle out the lock by pulling on the cover. It will come out in one piece.
For putting it back together, I couldn't get the wire to work very well. I used a thin screwdriver near the top of the latch lever, then popped the handle in and removed the screwdriver.
Less chance of scratching or denting the door.

I would have never attempted to take them off if it weren't for this thread!

MjrStfy 02-06-2016 06:06 PM

Old thread but needed this today trying to figure out how to re-install the drivers side handle ! thanks

TECHTURTLE 02-06-2016 11:26 PM

There is an instructional video on the Phastek site.. No need to pry on anything.