Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Bad news for us next batch of 87 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258238)

snickerdoodle 10-29-2012 02:55 PM

Bad news for us next batch of 87

http://www.cawlocal.ca/222/ seat manufacturer for the Camaro is on strike :( ughhhhhhhh

Doglife1LE 10-29-2012 02:57 PM

The link didn't work for me. This is terrible news. Let's hope it gets resolved ASAP.

tramtwo 10-29-2012 03:17 PM

Humm wonder what "sequence seats" means? Wonder how long the line can run before this affects it?

Lumino1LE 10-29-2012 05:21 PM

Crap! No wonder mine has not moved in a week. I was 3400 on 10/22; that's also my TPW, but nothing as of this morning. This is such a drag.

I have an HPDE scheduled for 11/17. Damn, damn.

snickerdoodle 10-30-2012 12:28 AM

i cant get a working link... but the actual news comes from the head metal fabricator at the plant

tramtwo 10-30-2012 12:51 AM

CAW Local 222 Reaches Tentative Agreement With Lear Whitby

A tentative agreement has been reached between CAW Local 222 and Lear Corporation. The deal came late in the day on Monday, October 29, almost 48 hours after the workers at Lear Whitby went on strike.

A ratification meeting will be held this coming weekend. Details of the agreement will not be released until after ratification.

Negotiations began in early August, but were suspended on account of the contract talks with the Detroit Three. Talks between the CAW and Lear Whitby resumed in early October.

Nessal 10-30-2012 02:18 AM

Fire them all and hire new workers not in the union.

grocerygetter 10-30-2012 06:45 AM

Right to work states ftw!

SUKXOST 10-30-2012 07:18 AM

that sucks

tramtwo 10-30-2012 08:27 AM

The strike ended four post back! :D

Bhobbs 10-30-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessal (Post 5753399)

This.

Close the plants and open them non union.

INTENSS 10-30-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5753779)
The strike ended four post back! :D

I don't think they're listening. :laugh:

snickerdoodle 10-30-2012 10:17 AM

Thanks guys I am glad this has been resolved =]

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nessal (Post 5753399)

Did you know without unions you wouldn't have an 8 hour work day and weekends? Just a fun fact for you.

fzm84 10-30-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doglife1LE (Post 5754166)
Did you know without unions you wouldn't have an 8 hour work day and weekends? Just a fun fact for you.

I'm without a union, and I work 5 days a week at 8 hours a day...

Unions had their time - but it's come and gone.

On topic: It's sad to see that this kind of stuff can halt production down an entire assembly line, and not only affect their own jobs - but the jobs of people who are also held up because of this.

rrpilot 10-30-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

To bad your fact its in fact not true. I see another person has been feed the union line without looking up the facts for themselves. I would state the true fact but I wasn't to see were this conversation may go. I hope others might know the truth and post here.

Mikes SS 10-30-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fzm84 (Post 5754641)
I'm without a union, and I work 5 days a week at 8 hours a day...

Unions had their time - but it's come and gone.

On topic: It's sad to see that this kind of stuff can halt production down an entire assembly line, and not only affect their own jobs - but the jobs of people who are also held up because of this.

AMEN!! There was a time and a place, but now they basically just serve against darwins theory of natural selection. If you need a job you'll show up to work on time all the time and give at least 80% while you are there. Not going on strike because you want a .10 cent raise. Every time I got a raise I earned it by working hard and sometimes harder than the next guy and I deserved it.

Angrybird 12 10-30-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

My wife was in a union, and every time they went out on strike the only one that came out on the deal was the union it's self. Whatever they got for the workers usually ened up being ate up with increased union dues... They are a ripoff to the worker now.

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrpilot (Post 5754755)
To bad your fact its in fact not true. I see another person has been feed the union line without looking up the facts for themselves. I would state the true fact but I wasn't to see were this conversation may go. I hope others might know the truth and post here.

I'm not in a union now, but I was Union Carpenter for 5 years. I'm not saying it was perfect by any means. One thing I hated about it was during elections they would try to tell everyone who to vote for. I like to form my own opinions on candidates. From what I have read and not fed our ancestors formed unions for labor laws that helped bring you days off of work and scheduled work hours less than Sun up to Sun down. If I'm wrong show me some proof I will gladly read it and form an opinion. I will also state I was wrong. I have no problems with that.

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikes SS (Post 5754773)
AMEN!! There was a time and a place, but now they basically just serve against darwins theory of natural selection. If you need a job you'll show up to work on time all the time and give at least 80% while you are there. Not going on strike because you want a .10 cent raise. Every time I got a raise I earned it by working hard and sometimes harder than the next guy and I deserved it.

I agree that people should have to work hard to keep your job and/or receive an increase in pay or a promotion. When I was a carpenter I saw a lot of guys get the boot because there production wasn't up to par. I'm not saying it's like that everywhere because it's not. I also was not talking about current times in my first statement.

rrpilot 10-30-2012 01:59 PM

I appreciate your comments and especially calm reply, to many people jump straight to being offended and flame on. Debate and conversation its what its all about and of course being respectful, which sometimes I need to remind myself.

I will give a hint though, "Henry Ford".

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrpilot (Post 5754857)
I appreciate your comments and especially calm reply, to many people jump straight to being offended and flame on. Debate and conversation its what its all about and of course being respectful, which sometimes I need to remind myself.

I will give a hint though, "Henry Ford".

Thanks. I'm not offended by any means. I don't defend unions or bash them. I've worked Union jobs and non-union jobs. I'm currently working Non-Union as a Network Admin. I was just under the impression that's how weekends were formed. I'm actually trying to research this to get my facts straight.

tramtwo 10-30-2012 02:16 PM

This thread has gotten WAY too political. Glad my 1LE will have seats!! :D

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 02:19 PM

So I found this article and read it. I still need to look further into this because he does not list his sources.

http://www.libertyreborn.com/2011/03...ot-the-unions/

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5754914)
This thread has gotten WAY too political. Glad my 1LE will have seats!! :D

Indeed this is the best thing and the most important. I apologize for starting this.

tramtwo 10-30-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doglife1LE (Post 5754943)
Indeed this is the best thing and the most important. I apologize for starting this.

Your sense of humor reminds me of steven wright. :sm0:

rrpilot 10-30-2012 04:24 PM

Hey it is a good discussion after all.

2014 will mark the 100 year anniversary of when Henry Ford revolutionized the auto industry by implementing the assembly line concept in addition he doubled his workers salary and reduced the work day from 9 hours to 8. This was unheard of and Ford was highly criticizer, but it paid off in spades. This was done many years before any auto union existed. This is well documented in many articles published over the years. Henry Ford was a true pioneer and innovator and we all owe some gratitude for what he did. Good article from FoMoCo, http://corporate.ford.com/our-compan...650-henry-ford

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tramtwo (Post 5755425)
Your sense of humor reminds me of steven wright. :sm0:

I was actually being sincere :laugh: . Plus I have no clue who Steven Wright is. :facepalm:

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 04:30 PM

I take that back, I just looked up Steven Wright. I know who he is, I just didn't remember his name. The guy on the couch!

tramtwo 10-30-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doglife1LE (Post 5755447)
I was actually being sincere :laugh: . Plus I have no clue who Steven Wright is. :facepalm:

Now that was the post of the day!! :D

Doglife1LE 10-30-2012 04:45 PM

License and registration please! :sm0:

Nessal 11-02-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Hard to make that assumption since it could have been done without unions. In fact, there is no saying that we couldn't of had 6 hour work days and weekends off without unions.

Fact is that the job market should be a free market. If you want to work 80 hour weeks, go right on ahead. If you want to work 7 days a week, go right on ahead. I don't need a union to bargain those "rights" for me. The "average" work week should be set by the market supply and demand. Companies that offer better working hours will attract more qualified candidates. It will pit the companies against each other. The fact that unions "bargained" for 8 hour work days is no measure in any good being done because the market may have been less.

Nessal 11-02-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doglife1LE (Post 5754932)
So I found this article and read it. I still need to look further into this because he does not list his sources.

http://www.libertyreborn.com/2011/03...ot-the-unions/

Great article. Pretty much proves my point. Companies will offer better incentives to attract or maintain qualified workers. Government or union intervention need not apply. :w00t:

OUR72GTO 11-02-2012 09:45 PM

Henry Ford also thought Hitler was a good guy. Henry was no Saint.:paddle:

oldfriend 11-02-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

B S .

Doglife1LE 11-03-2012 11:53 AM

Welcome to the party. I'm sorry to inform you we all kissed and made up already.

scubadoo7 11-03-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doglife1LE (Post 5769257)
Welcome to the party. I'm sorry to inform you we all kissed and made up already.

:clap::thumbsup:

Elykson 11-03-2012 12:29 PM

While some jobs may not look like they need to be union, I challenge all you RTW advocates to try my job. It has a 50% fail rate right off the bat. Then you have to deal with unfair production standards, constant harassment from management and an unforgiving public. You have to fight for every inch constantly. Without my unions backing, my employer would just fire us all and hire scabs at half the cost. 8 hour work day? Please, try 11-12 hour days on your feet hustling the whole time. You work in the elements no matter what.

Now the benefits are very good and there is a retirement package. Without a union, there wouldn't be. It's a great job once you learn how to protect yourself and the union has helped me learn that. Your union is only as strong as it's membership.

The average American worker can't afford a 1LE, so although I'm glad your seats are back in production. I hope you all keep in mind that without union labor, you wouldn't have as high of a quality product.

Without collective bargaining, I wouldn't be resting my sore legs today. I would be trudging to your doors, obtaining signatures for your iphone 5's and your wives HSN, Amazon.com, Zappos purchases. :)