Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   How To Wire Dual Halos On Single Switch (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63300)

kismyss 01-30-2010 12:32 AM

How To Wire Dual Halos On Single Switch

13 Attachment(s)
Attachment 89625
Well I figured out how to wire my dual color halos with a single switch so i dont have to put 2 switches in the dash or use an ugly toggle switch that doesnt lite up when in use.:headbang: I used the single throw switch that comes with the halo kit. They dont give you a double throw switch they say because they give you that one free but I think it sucks for the money you spend for the lights, How freakin hard is it to get an On-Off-On thats not an ugly toggle

Attachment 89624

Go to Oreilly, Napa, and pick up a 5 pole 12vdc relay and wiring harness. These are very common and easy to get. It needs to have 2 terminals for the coil, 1 terminal for the common and 1 Normally closed contact, 1 Normally open contact. Terminal 85 & 86 are the coil either can be ground or 12vdc-
#30 is Common or Ground to the body-#87a is Normally closed (white)
#87 is Normally Open (Blue) The only circuit not fused is the coil for the relay everything else is fused through the Halo Circuit
Attachment 89653

Attachment 89652

I mounted the switch undr neathe the cowl for convenience with a few wire ties
Attachment 89641

First wire the Red positive wire for all the Halos to the existing Halo 12vdc wire. If you dont know take a volt meter and check each wire to a ground bolt if you get 12vdc with the parking lights on then Bingo thats the one. (This is not part of the relay) Install your on/off switch with a 5/8" paddle bit or hole bit in the dash, run your wires through the hole and solder to the switch. I ran the ground from the switch to a bolt in the cabin above the fuse box. (This energizes the light on the switch so you know when its on)

Attachment 89624

Drill small hole through the firewall and run (2) 22 guage wires into the engine compartment. I hid the wires under the engine compartment seal foam along the radiater cover and this is a great place to hide wires it's not glued and comes off real easy. The Middle terminal of the switch I ran over to the the engine fuse box Positive Terminal outside the fuse box (Hot all the Time) This only gives energizes the coil not the lights (control circuit). This also allows you to change the color anytime even without the key in the ignition.

Attachment 89640

Attachment 89642

The Other wire goes From the Top terminal of the switch to either side of the Coil of the relay and solder. Then Take all four White Halo Ground Wires and Solder them to the normally Closed side of the Relay. (This is so the White halos are the default and operate as normal with the headlights and parking lights.
Then take all four of the Blue Halo Ground Wires and wire them to the normally open side of the Relay (Blue will only work when you flip the switch)

You then will have 2 Terminals left on the relay, I wired both of these together to wire terminals and mounted them to a body mounting bolt inside the engine compartment (This is Ground) This supplies ground for the color of the Halos Its really quite easy to do and is a simple concept and works like a Charm.:thumbup:

This is just a Gratuitis Shot of My Footwell lighting connected to the dome light but I had to put it on here because it looks so freakin sweet
Attachment 89628:happyanim:

TJ91 01-30-2010 01:52 AM

Great write up! Thanks alot, going to show this thread to my installer when i do the fogs (Going to disable the auto headlights and wire the fogs to the switch)
Thabks again, this DIY thread will be very helpful to others

FwyFlyer 02-07-2010 01:58 PM

Harness part#?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kismyss (Post 1431088)
Go to Oreilly, Napa, and pick up a 5 pole 12vdc relay and wiring harness. These are very common and easy to get. It needs to have 2 terminals for the coil, 1 terminal for the common and 1 Normally closed contact, 1 Normally open contact. Terminal 85 & 86 are the coil either can be ground or 12vdc-
#87 is Normally Open (Blue) The only circuit not fused is the coil for the relay everything else is fused through the Halo Circuit

Did you get the harness (pigtail?) at Napa too? Do you have a part number for it? Thanks.

calinkaos 03-02-2010 02:01 PM

damn wish I saw this thread this morning. I just changed from my rocker switch to a toggle. DAMN DAMN DAMN!

Kilo-9 03-02-2010 06:26 PM

Maybe it's the picture playing tricks on my eyes, but do you have dual color halos in the fogs, too?

cowboy1948 03-02-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kismyss (Post 1431088)
Attachment 89625
Well I figured out how to wire my dual color halos with a single switch so i dont have to put 2 switches in the dash or use an ugly toggle switch that doesnt lite up when in use.:headbang: I used the single throw switch that comes with the halo kit. They dont give you a double throw switch they say because they give you that one free but I think it sucks for the money you spend for the lights, How freakin hard is it to get an On-Off-On thats not an ugly toggle

Attachment 89624

Attachment 89653

Attachment 89652

I mounted the switch undr neathe the cowl for convenience with a few wire ties
Attachment 89641

First wire the Red positive wire for all the Halos to the existing Halo 12vdc wire. If you dont know take a volt meter and check each wire to a ground bolt if you get 12vdc with the parking lights on then Bingo thats the one. (This is not part of the relay) Install your on/off switch with a 5/8" paddle bit or hole bit in the dash, run your wires through the hole and solder to the switch. I ran the ground from the switch to a bolt in the cabin above the fuse box. (This energizes the light on the switch so you know when its on)

Attachment 89624

Drill small hole through the firewall and run (2) 22 guage wires into the engine compartment. I hid the wires under the engine compartment seal foam along the radiater cover and this is a great place to hide wires it's not glued and comes off real easy. The Middle terminal of the switch I ran over to the the engine fuse box Positive Terminal outside the fuse box (Hot all the Time) This only gives energizes the coil not the lights (control circuit). This also allows you to change the color anytime even without the key in the ignition.

Attachment 89640

Attachment 89642

The Other wire goes From the Top terminal of the switch to either side of the Coil of the relay and solder. Then Take all four White Halo Ground Wires and Solder them to the normally Closed side of the Relay. (This is so the White halos are the default and operate as normal with the headlights and parking lights.
Then take all four of the Blue Halo Ground Wires and wire them to the normally open side of the Relay (Blue will only work when you flip the switch)

You then will have 2 Terminals left on the relay, I wired both of these together to wire terminals and mounted them to a body mounting bolt inside the engine compartment (This is Ground) This supplies ground for the color of the Halos Its really quite easy to do and is a simple concept and works like a Charm.:thumbup:

This is just a Gratuitis Shot of My Footwell lighting connected to the dome light but I had to put it on here because it looks so freakin sweet
Attachment 89628:happyanim:

That is cool. Great work. :thumbup::clap:What grille is that you have on there?:headbang:

daphatgrant 03-05-2010 08:57 PM

:w00t:

iBK3000 03-13-2010 04:23 PM

That is a sexy front end, kudos!

SuperSport17 03-13-2010 04:57 PM

Sweet setup! red would look killer too but i like the blue. gewd job!

Wvallediego 03-13-2010 06:50 PM

:popcorn:

CynAgain 03-13-2010 07:28 PM

Nice Job on the write up. :thumbsup: I love the dual color.

fighterace34 03-14-2010 12:01 AM

does the camaro come with the halos or hid?

Kilo-9 03-14-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fighterace34 (Post 1586991)
does the camaro come with the halos or hid?

If the Camaro is equipped with the RS package, it comes with both.

Muscle Master 03-14-2010 03:13 AM

This is gonna piss cops off !!! Lmao

There gonna Pull you over for blue halos

Drivers reaction ... "What Blue Halo's", .. Officer you look tired, there's a Dunkin-Donuts down the road, lol