Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   PLEASE HELP Driveline Vibration (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419163)

SlowSS 08-09-2015 03:47 PM

PLEASE HELP Driveline Vibration

Okay so I have searched and searched on the forums to find an answer to no avail. I have a 2013 1LE with a Pfadt 1.25 drop. The drop was done at 2k miles and I never went and got the alignment done, at 12k now. Well after going through a set of tires on the rear I got a set of 305 F1's and got the alignment done. Since I got that done, 2 weeks ago, I have a vibration when under acceleration above 3k rpm in the steering wheel, pedals, and shifter. I know it's not the tires out of balance because I can let off the accelerator an no vibrations. I do have CAI and headers, but don't think that's the issue. I push the clutch in and rev the motor up to and hold at any RPM and no vibration. Please help as the dealer is giving me crap about the headers and doesn't sound like they want to work on the car. I saw something about the carrier bushing but usually they make a clicking sound when they give out. My car is dead quite. Would the alignment have done this?

UPDATE:
Hey folks, hate bring up this older thread but I am still dealing with this issue and now I'm on a deadline as I was surprised with a cam for Christmas. Install date is February 15th. I have found that the vibration I am feeling is during 50-60mph not RPM specific. Doesn't seem to get any worse. I have had the tires rebalanced put new tires on the front. Even thought maybe it was the wheels. Well swapped them with completely stock factory fresh, meaning brand new, wheels and the vibration was still there. Checked the driveshaft bolts and all was good. Thought maybe pinion angle but I see that with these cars that shouldn't be a problem. Took the car back to the dealer and they have seemed to wash their hands of it. I am at a complete loss. Thank you for any help!

UDPATE 2/5/16:

Dealer replaced the driveshaft and still feeling the vibration. Please any input is appreciated.

Thanks for any help!

Camarotobeornottobe 08-09-2015 05:17 PM

Well, let's follow changes to the logical conclusion.

It drove with no vibration, then, what changes were made immediately before the vibration began? It's not 100% clear from your original post.

SlowSS 08-09-2015 05:40 PM

I didn't realize my op was long and kind of a run on. That's my fault.

Here is the shorter version.

I got 2 new rear tires and had the car aligned. Since then I have had the above described vibration. Took it back to the alignment shop and they said that they can feel the vibration but the alignment wouldn't cause that. The tires are balanced as the vibration doesn't seem to be speed related.

Also to describe the vibration....it's almost more of a pulsing shutter.

I hope that can give a little more clarification.

SlowSS 08-09-2015 05:42 PM

Also I noticed on my alignment sheet it says FE2 and I know our cars have the FE6. Is there different alignment specs between the 2?

SlowSS 08-10-2015 11:45 AM

Anyone? I'm at a loss.

Camarotobeornottobe 08-10-2015 11:50 AM

I don't have a good theory. But, you might be forced to have a different shop re-align it and rebalance the tires -- just to be able to rule that out. Sucks, but without a working theory to your particular symptom, you will have to start experimenting with fixes, and the last change before the problem seems to be the best place to start.

Jpnyhc1le 08-10-2015 01:04 PM

Maybe one of the weights fell off....check and make sure lug nuts real tight. Maybe tires are rubbing when you eccelerate due to bigger tires plus drop in height :iono:

SlowSS 08-10-2015 05:33 PM

Checked the lugs, all good. Weights seemed to be intact from what I can tell. I looked under the car yesterday to see if there was any rubbing of the tires and found nothing. I have put a couple hundred miles on the car since it began for testing and would think I would see some kind of sign of rubbing by now. I'm at a loss, but found a "mod friendly" dealership that is going to look at it tomorrow. They said if it is the motor, which they doubt, then I can just put the stock manifolds back on and bring it back. Going to suck to have to do that if needed.

What sucks is I don't drive my car hard, never been to the track, change the oil myself every 3k etc, and now this. I have a feeling that it will be something really simple though.

If the tires are out of balance would they only give a vibration under acceleration? In past vehicles it always been speed oriented for me.

gen6waiter 08-10-2015 06:50 PM

Make sure the wheels were balanced with high speed balancing machine. I would invest in having a different shop re-balance. Also, it could also be a warped brake rotor.

Southern Comfort 08-12-2015 05:52 AM

Does the traction control light flash when this happens?

SlowSS 08-12-2015 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcat (Post 8579105)
You might want to mark the tire and rim so you can see if the tire is spinning on the rim.

I hadn't even thought about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gen6waiter (Post 8579149)
Make sure the wheels were balanced with high speed balancing machine. I would invest in having a different shop re-balance. Also, it could also be a warped brake rotor.

The dealer is looking at that today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southern Comfort (Post 8582110)
Does the traction control light flash when this happens?

Hey Chris, no, the TC light does not flash. What you thinking it might be?

I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and had the S. Advisor drive the car. He said something is definitely not right and that it doesn't feel like the tires and that its not the alignment. He is going to call me today once the tech gets in it and comes up with a solution. I did mention the mid-shaft bearing and they are going to take a look at it. Another person from the dealer gave the text book answer, "Well if those tires are bigger than what originally came on the car, then that is your problem". :sm0:

So I should be getting a call today to find out what the issue is. So we shall see.

GMUSA#1 08-12-2015 09:38 AM

When you get tires re-balanced, if your able and I think it's a must, have them road forced balanced(What gen6waiter said). Could it be a rear half shaft? On the other hand, I know the alignment specs have been posted on this site, You could compare the specs. I will search and see what I can find. It would be interesting to see the difference between FE2 and FE6...

Brent

SlowSS 08-12-2015 09:44 AM

Yes they were going to road force balance the tires to see if that is the issue. I looked everywhere to find out if there was a difference between the alignment spec between the FE2 and FE6.....couldn't find anything. With that being said there is a million things going through my head of the possibilities, with the worst being at the forefront. It's now all starting to look the same lol.

Thank you for any help!