Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   '12 LFX Cat Delete (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214040)

bvcamaro 04-03-2012 08:15 PM

'12 LFX Cat Delete

Anybody heard anything about this? Would it really be beneficial? Since it bolts directly to the cyl. head, improving flow here would be similar to adding headers...but then again, it might not improve much. Thoughts?

KMPrenger 04-03-2012 09:52 PM

In my opinion it would definitely be beneficial, and I think someone like SOLO needs to offer this soon. Their HFC + resonator kit for the 2010 and 2011s was dyno'd at an additional 15 HP over stock.

Have you looked at the tube before the cats? Is there a flange there that could be unbolted, or does the tube go straight to the cat as one piece? You'd think GM would have put a flange there to make changing the cats easier, but maybe not :iono:

Anyways, I think this is really the LFX's best chance at getting gains similar to LT headers on the LLT engine. May not be quite the gains, but you guys area already starting out with more power anyways. I'd bet 10 to 15 rwhp with something like a SOLO HFC would be doable.

bvcamaro 04-03-2012 10:58 PM

Well there are four NUTS (so even after soaking them with PB we're gonna break those rusty studs lol) and then the cat unbolts from the head. Then obviously disconnect O2's and the whole thing drops out. (Only a muffler clamp connects it to the rest of the exhaust.)

bluecam805 05-02-2012 07:53 PM

well its alot cheaper too. im gonna get my cats taken out and ask to get the biggest down pipe for maximum air flow.. $120 for BOTH . hopefully i get alota gains

JohnnyBfromPeoria 05-03-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecam805 (Post 4902477)
well its alot cheaper too. im gonna get my cats taken out and ask to get the biggest down pipe for maximum air flow.. $120 for BOTH . hopefully i get alota gains

Good luck.

I'd like to see your theory proven, rather than accept the "butt-dyno" results. Frankly, I'm skeptical. Why do you suppose bigger downpipes will help? Why are the stock downpipes the size they are now?

John B.

JohnnyBfromPeoria 05-03-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvcamaro (Post 4752582)
even after soaking them with PB we're gonna break those rusty studs

I don't miss growing up in Peoria, IL. Nothing seems to rust here in Phoenix. I can unbolt exhaust systems that are 20 years old without problems here...as long as they haven't been 'there.'

John B.

bluecam805 05-03-2012 02:06 AM

yeah im skeptical myself . not too big but probably 2.5 or so. im not sure the size now. ill see tomaro

KMPrenger 05-03-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecam805 (Post 4902477)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecam805 (Post 4903884)
yeah im skeptical myself . not too big but probably 2.5 or so. im not sure the size now. ill see tomaro

I really don't think I'd go with bigger than stock pipes to replace the cats, and instead go with the stock size. I can't say forsure, but I'm guessing it is the same size as the beginning of the catback...which is 2.5"

I don't see how you couldn't get gains from removing the cats, or at least adding HFCs. Its been proven on the LLT.

bluecam805 05-03-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMPrenger (Post 4904690)
I really don't think I'd go with bigger than stock pipes to replace the cats, and instead go with the stock size. I can't say forsure, but I'm guessing it is the same size as the beginning of the catback...which is 2.5"

I don't see how you couldn't get gains from removing the cats, or at least adding HFCs. Its been proven on the LLT.

Yeah ima go 2.5 all the way down eventualy . rite now cat delete , later cat-back. i oredered a trifecta tune so hopefully with tune and all ill see some noticable gains

bluecam805 05-08-2012 12:33 AM

just had them istalled. RASPY! would mufflers like a magnaflow or flowmaster help eliminate the raspy noise?? i want DEEEEEP tone

lscamaro 05-08-2012 12:43 AM

Magnaflow maybe, flowmaster.... Uh no.

Have you thought about a magnaflow resonated x pipe? It will probably do exactly what u want

bluecam805 05-08-2012 12:53 AM

yeah i was told flowmaster sounds bad and that resonater would muffle the sound nice.. but i didnt want to put more ristriction but its better than putting the cats back on. what magnaflow though?? i wana try gettn the largest maybe? for that DEEP tone

lscamaro 05-08-2012 01:23 AM

The one I'm talking about is a dual in dual out that people replace the h pipe with. It reduces rasp drastically. I'm sure if u do a quick search you'll find it since so many have used it. I'll try to get a part number

bluecam805 05-08-2012 01:25 AM

thanks that would be great! i read em but cant find a part number. u think i can make due without the resonator? kind of on a budget. so like just an axle back with tips?