Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   LLT Engine Internals Build (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120079)

The_Blur 12-14-2010 10:40 PM

LLT Engine Internals Build

The LLT-powered Camaros have hit several bumps in the road to high-performance. From vendors backing out of projects to tuning woes, we are not where we want to be on the forced induction front.

It will happen eventually.

In the meantime, we should compile some build options. I am not familiar enough with the engine internals of the LLT to do this alone, so let's get together and help a few members build up their LLT powerplants.

Please contribute any aftermarket parts that will help our forced induction guys build their engines.

noisemker 12-15-2010 12:00 AM

:popcorn:

rtcat600man 12-15-2010 04:45 AM

subscribed

bmwdon 12-15-2010 06:14 AM

Looks to be around $1k for a engine pulled from a traverse/arcadia/cts, getting one of those to a reputable engine performance shop to tear down and learn specs on it would be the best bet for finding out if there are any kind of real options already in place (rods/pistons) and if anybody has the ability to create a crank as a stroker....if the block has enough wall to handle a reasonable bore. So would a LLT community shop be willing to take that 1K hit, or could you find enough members to chip in on a purchase like that? My guess is no, it kinda sucked absorbing the $$ for a used set of heads on my own to try something nobody else has done....might gain squat, might make nice gains....if I do, then I'm sure I'll be able to sell my stock heads to somebody, otherwise, its money out the window I'll never get back. nervous!!

Beauwulf 12-15-2010 10:54 AM

I have heard the stock engine internals are good for 650 HP. This was from supposedly a GM engineer. I have read elsewere that the LLT already has a forged crank, sinctered rods and beefy main journals. That said...

The torque rating for the tranny seems to be the limiting factor at some 430 ftlbs. The torque management system will help soften the shifts and reduce shock loads to some extent but, for the strip, that's not such a good thing. For my intended use, road course stuff, it should be OK.

We'll have to keep an eye on the diffy as well. The guys running NO2 and DRs will give us a pretty good read on that. Any of you guys looked at your axle seals lately?

Demon Hunter 12-15-2010 11:38 AM

Subscribing to this one....

rtcat600man 12-15-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beauwulf (Post 2640175)
I have heard the stock engine internals are good for 650 HP. This was from supposedly a GM engineer. I have read elsewere that the LLT already has a forged crank, sinctered rods and beefy main journals. That said...

The torque rating for the tranny seems to be the limiting factor at some 430 ftlbs. The torque management system will help soften the shifts and reduce shock loads to some extent but, for the strip, that's not such a good thing. For my intended use, road course stuff, it should be OK.

We'll have to keep an eye on the diffy as well. The guys running NO2 and DRs will give us a pretty good read on that. Any of you guys looked at your axle seals lately?

GM HIGH-TECH performance Feb. 2009 edition. yes on the crank, rods and journals.

Tried to upload the article, but not having luck.

The_Blur 12-15-2010 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtcat600man (Post 2640629)
GM HIGH-TECH performance Feb. 2009 edition. yes on the crank, rods and journals.

Tried to upload the article, but not having luck.

When you get that loaded, I'll post it to the Wiki. :)

Edge.128 12-15-2010 02:19 PM

hopefully some info comes our way in time. suscribed.

Milk 1027 12-15-2010 02:29 PM

;)

MATERIALS

Block: Sand cast aluminum (319) with cast in iron bore liners

Cylinder head: Cast aluminum ( 319 semi permanent mold )

Intake manifold: Aluminum ( 319 Upper, and Lower )

Exhaust manifold: High-silicon moly cast iron

Main bearing caps: Sintered steel ( CU infiltrated )

Crankshaft: Forged steel ( 1038 V )

Camshaft: Cast nodular iron

Connecting rods: Sinter forged steel

Additional features:
Four-cam continuously variable cam phasing
Internal exhaust gas recirculation ( EGR )
Pressure-actuated piston cooling jets
Torque-based engine management system
Secondary throat cut inlet ports
Direct injection fuel system
High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump with stainless steel fuel rails
Internal front cover damper plates
Cartridge style oil filter
Extended life spark plugs
Extended life coolant
Extended life accessory drive belts
7.7mm IT chain system for all HFV6 applications
Coil-on-plug ignition
Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
5W30 GF4 Mineral Oil
Synthetic Oil for Cadillac applications

The_Blur 12-15-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk 1027 (Post 2640851)
;)

MATERIALS

Block: Sand cast aluminum (319) with cast in iron bore liners

Cylinder head: Cast aluminum ( 319 semi permanent mold )

Intake manifold: Aluminum ( 319 Upper, and Lower )

Exhaust manifold: High-silicon moly cast iron

Main bearing caps: Sintered steel ( CU infiltrated )

Crankshaft: Forged steel ( 1038 V )

Camshaft: Cast nodular iron

Connecting rods: Sinter forged steel

Additional features:
Four-cam continuously variable cam phasing
Internal exhaust gas recirculation ( EGR )
Pressure-actuated piston cooling jets
Torque-based engine management system
Secondary throat cut inlet ports
Direct injection fuel system
High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump with stainless steel fuel rails
Internal front cover damper plates
Cartridge style oil filter
Extended life spark plugs
Extended life coolant
Extended life accessory drive belts
7.7mm IT chain system for all HFV6 applications
Coil-on-plug ignition
Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
5W30 GF4 Mineral Oil
Synthetic Oil for Cadillac applications

:thumbsup: This is great information, but I'm also seeking some aftermarket options. Those of us wanting cams and all the other goodies upgraded need to know that we have some options. The OEM build is great, but we want more. :evil:

Milk 1027 12-15-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 2640903)
:thumbsup: This is great information, but I'm also seeking some aftermarket options. Those of us wanting cams and all the other goodies upgraded need to know that we have some options. The OEM build is great, but we want more. :evil:

Just letting you know what you have to work with. It's a start

rhd 12-15-2010 04:41 PM

as of right now there isnt much, anything you would want you would have to have it custom made.....i have been looking at some custom cams(a big maybe) and a custom intakemanifold. but still its nice to see a thread about something other than intakes and exhaust!

SDCamaro10 12-15-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 2640903)

I doubt we'll be seeing anything reasonable for cams anytime soon since we have 4 cams. would likely be too expensive.