Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   STS Remote Mount Turbo Kit for V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31068)

ZNOLMT 07-06-2009 12:10 PM

STS Remote Mount Turbo Kit for V6

Has anyone considered doing an STS Remote mount turbo or twin turbo kit? They seem really cool, and probably an easier mod than a regular turbo mount. The difference (if you are not familiar with remote mount turbos) is that they don't go under the hood. Instead they replace the muffler, or attach somewhere on the exhaust pipe, then send boost all the way back to the engine. Seems a bit strange, but apparently it works great!

I think I might save up and help Nikki get one of these twin turbo kits for her 2LT.

They already have bolt on kits for several cars (mustangs, challengers, 350z), and I am sure they'll have one for our Camaros soon. This could even be a good possibility for the v8 guys, since they've already done kits for the corvettes and gto.

Here is the link: http://www.ststurbo.com/home

Also! They sound pretty awesome!

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG2j-...eature=related

Xanthos 07-06-2009 12:18 PM

Yeah, there has been much discussion (and much controversy) on the STS kits. I think its a wonderful idea, but a lot of people don't like the idea of having their turbocharger down under the car, exposed to the elements and to potential thieves.
- X

patriotpa 07-06-2009 12:18 PM

It would help keep the heat out of the engine compartment.

blackedout010 07-06-2009 12:20 PM

rear mounts are junk stay away

Xanthos 07-06-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotpa (Post 652571)
It would help keep the heat out of the engine compartment.

This, and the extra intake length provides the same cooling effect on the air charge as an intercooler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackedout010 (Post 652574)
rear mounts are junk stay away

Care to cite any evidence for this? I'm not really taking a stand one way or the other, but I don't see how the mounting location automatically makes it "junk" and have even seen evidence that points to the contrary.
- X

patriotpa 07-06-2009 12:27 PM

Cooler air=Denser Air. Denser Air=MORE POWER!

ZNOLMT 07-06-2009 12:28 PM

The theft thing could be an issue, but I have also heard that exposing them to the elements could be a big issue, such as if you're driving in the rain or snow with a heated up turbo, but maybe some kind of splash plate or something could be fabbed up to protect it.

From what I've seen they seem great! Is there any other concerns besides the ones talked about so far?

blackedout010 07-06-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 652584)
This, and the extra intake length provides the same cooling effect on the air charge as an intercooler.

Care to cite any evidence for this? I'm not really taking a stand one way or the other, but I don't see how the mounting location automatically makes it "junk" and have even seen evidence that points to the contrary.
- X

ive had several buddy's (3 camaro and 1 c5) whom all had sts kits. ranging from stock motors to strokers. all had continous problems. all changed and went differnt routes within a year of builds. i wouldnt touch em but thats my opinion. to each their own

blackedout010 07-06-2009 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZNOLMT (Post 652596)
The theft thing could be an issue, but I have also heard that exposing them to the elements could be a big issue, such as if you're driving in the rain or snow with a heated up turbo, but maybe some kind of splash plate or something could be fabbed up to protect it.

From what I've seen they seem great! Is there any other concerns besides the ones talked about so far?

problems with that and serious turbo lag. on the c5 they completely wraped exhuast which helped out a bit but not much.

speedster 07-06-2009 12:48 PM

STS Turbos -

It seems people either love them or hate them, no "grey" area here.

My neighbor down the road had an 04 GTO with an STS kit. Made 487 RWHP. Ran it for years, never a problem.

But then it sounds like blackedout010's buddies had it and it didn't work out for them, so that's not a good thing.

There are pros and cons with anything. Pick what you like and go with it. :)

Xanthos 07-06-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackedout010 (Post 652629)
ive had several buddy's (3 camaro and 1 c5) whom all had sts kits. ranging from stock motors to strokers. all had continous problems. all changed and went differnt routes within a year of builds. i wouldnt touch em but thats my opinion. to each their own

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion - just wanted to make sure you weren't just spouting off what you've heard others say just because you heard them say it.

Personally, I think its a good idea in theory. I don't like the muffler replacement part of it though - if I did one, I would use a single turbo and put it where the H-pipe is. Run a Y-pipe into the turbo, and a Y-pipe off of the turbo. It would serve as an X-pipe, but also give the turbo itself a bit better spool from the scavenging of the Y-pipe, and from it not being QUITE so far back.

And I would put a metal shield under it to keep it from getting hit by rocks, water, etc.
- X

P.S. - Of course, this is all academic because if I ever did go forced induction, it would be through an eaton or similar blower.

blackedout010 07-06-2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 652674)
STS Turbos -

My neighbor down the road had an 04 GTO with an STS kit. Made 487 RWHP. Ran it for years, never a problem.

But then it sounds like blackedout010's buddies had it and it didn't work out for them, so that's not a good thing.

agreed!! with that said all of the setups i mentioned were done several years ago. perhaps they have improved the setup now. i just know id stick with proven setups if it were me. theres nothing as bad as a new car sittin 24/7 due to performance mods:(

Xanthos 07-06-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 652674)
STS Turbos -

:word:

As with anything, your mileage may vary.
- X

blackedout010 07-06-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 652681)
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion - just wanted to make sure you weren't just spouting off what you've heard others say just because you heard them say it.

Personally, I think its a good idea in theory. I don't like the muffler replacement part of it though - if I did one, I would use a single turbo and put it where the H-pipe is. Run a Y-pipe into the turbo, and a Y-pipe off of the turbo. It would serve as an X-pipe, but also give the turbo itself a bit better spool from the scavenging of the Y-pipe, and from it not being QUITE so far back.

And I would put a metal shield under it to keep it from getting hit by rocks, water, etc.
- X

P.S. - Of course, this is all academic because if I ever did go forced induction, it would be through an eaton or similar blower.

correct in theory it does. but you gotta expect clearence issues as well.

Xanthos 07-06-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackedout010 (Post 652688)
correct in theory it does. but you gotta expect clearence issues as well.

Yep. Would take a bit of fabbing, but personally if I was going to spend 6000+ for a turbo, I'd do the work to make sure it was done right.
- X

nal 07-06-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 652681)

- X

i was thinking about STS for my 1lt and your idea sounds like a really good idea.

derin11 07-06-2009 05:41 PM

I think its a great idea, ill probly do the twin setup when it comes out, I guess it means no warranty void?

derin11 07-06-2009 07:07 PM

Just talked to STS, we signed a faxed contract and they are gonna do a turbo system for free for me in 2 weeks time, ill be posting videos then

blackedout010 07-06-2009 07:13 PM

let us know how it works out for sure!!!

derin11 07-06-2009 07:41 PM

couple problems im seeing, but yet again, im no car expert in the least.

1. Does this system have anything to do with the CAI?
2. Does it replace the pipes all the back to the headers?

THE EVIL TW1N 07-06-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriotpa (Post 652592)
Cooler air=Denser Air. Denser Air=MORE POWER!

cooler air most certainly does NOT mean denser air all the time. Cooler air USUALLY means denser air.

Mr. Wyndham 07-06-2009 09:01 PM

I really like the STS systems. Extremely innovative, and they put out some crazy numbers.

Let us know how it goes if you do it! :D

MadMaxx 07-07-2009 09:15 AM

Just build one yourselves... it's not all that complicated. There are benefits to using rear mount systems - mainly the ability to go back to stock rather quickly and keeping the engine bay clear. You do have to solve logistical issues of the oil return (140$ shurflow pumps work great) and the minor fab work to get everything mounted. On a 6psi kit, you wouldn't even need a front mount, although you could if you wanted to.

I don't like STS because they rebadge cheaper gear as being "special" with a hugely inflated price tag. Seriously -- spend 2K and build yourself a far superior setup than having them build one.

Grape Ape 07-07-2009 10:42 AM

I still say that if it was half as awesome as STS says then at least one manufacturer would use rear mounted turbos. But as far as I know, they all tuck them in really close to the exhaust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by XanthosV6 (Post 652692)
Yep. Would take a bit of fabbing, but personally if I was going to spend 6000+ for a turbo, I'd do the work to make sure it was done right.
- X

That does sound like a good location. It would probably get less splash than under hood or rear mounts and you could probably still run a CAI up to the grill for clean, dry air. But, I think you might have to fabricate a new lump in the floor to get enough clearance.

If I was installing a rear mounted turbo I would want to fab up a finned stainless (or aluminum) pipe to bring the compressed air back to the intake and do some charge cooling without adding any extra lag like a separate intercooler would. But the last time I looked at STS's website they seemed to be using a plastic pipe... :iono:

Xanthos 07-07-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grape Ape (Post 655348)
I still say that if it was half as awesome as STS says then at least one manufacturer would use rear mounted turbos. But as far as I know, they all tuck them in really close to the exhaust.

That does sound like a good location. It would probably get less splash than under hood or rear mounts and you could probably still run a CAI up to the grill for clean, dry air. But, I think you might have to fabricate a new lump in the floor to get enough clearance.

If I was installing a rear mounted turbo I would want to fab up a finned stainless (or aluminum) pipe to bring the compressed air back to the intake and do some charge cooling without adding any extra lag like a separate intercooler would. But the last time I looked at STS's website they seemed to be using a plastic pipe... :iono:

Yeah, that was the plan. I think it should be possible - if this car is anything like my 86 was, there will be plenty of gap between the center console and the floor.
- X

ZNOLMT 07-07-2009 02:04 PM

Just noticed! STS has 2010 Camaro kits listed as "coming soon" !

Installing them would probably mean voiding the warranty though, wouldn't it?

MadMaxx 07-07-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZNOLMT (Post 655937)

V8 kits will be first... they may handle 6's later.

Xanthos 07-07-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZNOLMT (Post 655937)

Yes, quite likely voiding the warranty.
- X

Mohrg Beast 07-07-2009 09:46 PM

i need help finding/purchasing a V6 turbo/twin turbo/supercharger. Im dying to put one on so if anyone could help me id appreciate it. Nobody else seems to be daring enough yet to try. so i dont have any thing to go by. Just want to see how much it beefens up the car..And this is no lie at all..Those old school Cyclone air flow systems that used to be on infomercials all the time actually worked on my car..LOL..it wasnt much but just goofing off the other day i stopped at Auto Zone and bought one for 35 bucks..put it right before the air filter box, and at the first stop light without revving up the engine i stomped the gas and the tires barked a bit..i know that doesnt sound like much..but no matter what ive did before i have never, not even on an incline,been able to bark the tires just by 'stomping' on the guess without revving the engine up..LOL..didnt get to do much after that cause i had to drop it off to get the finishing touches on the clear coat for my racing stripes i had added last week. but back to what i was saying, if any of you know anything about getting a turbo/ twin turbo/ super charger for my V6 i would very much appreciate it. Capa in Aus. from what i seen in another thread had some but i sent them emails with no reply..they even had gretts on there for 1500 that "added 500 hp..dunno myself to the turbo/supercharging deal..please help. thanks

JTinFL 07-10-2009 10:19 AM

STS kits are junk in my opinion. This isnt just a opinion without facts backing it up. I have tuned many of rear mount kits. The problem is that turbos NEED heat. They must have heat to spool up and build boost. Heat is a bad thing when it comes to intake air temps and engine temps but with no heat to a turbo, well no power.

This being said, you must do a few (3 to 5) pulls on a dyno to even make any power using them. By the time you have the turbo heated up to the temperature needed, well everything else is completely heat soaked and can be damaging to your engine.

Also, at the track, well forget it. !st gear will make a little boost, say 1 psi on a 10 psi spring, then second gear will make 2 or 3 psi, 3rd gear finally starts to get heated up and might make 7 psi, then finally when you hit forth gear, well you possibly have reached 10 psi.

There will be a lot of options here soon for the Camaro. Make sure you use high quality components, stainless steel piping, and proper tuning and you will have a blast for the lifetime of your car. Thanks and pm me if you have any questions.

MadMaxx 07-10-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTinFL (Post 665911)
STS kits are junk in my opinion. This isnt just a opinion without facts backing it up. I have tuned many of rear mount kits. The problem is that turbos NEED heat. They must have heat to spool up and build boost. Heat is a bad thing when it comes to intake air temps and engine temps but with no heat to a turbo, well no power.

This being said, you must do a few (3 to 5) pulls on a dyno to even make any power using them. By the time you have the turbo heated up to the temperature needed, well everything else is completely heat soaked and can be damaging to your engine.

Turbo's don't need heat - they need volume and velocity. Heat is just the factor which plays a large part in velocity of the exhaust gases from source to destination.

You compensate this natural reduction of velocity and volume of having a remote mount system by changing the A/R on the hot side...it's not that difficult really. What you give up in response time you gain in overall turbo life and a reduction in engine bay temps vs. bay-mounted turbo setups.

As for your dyno statements - that's not really correct. The turbo may become slightly more responsive as the EGT increases (from the boost load being placed on it) but doesn't mean the system is unusable prior to that event. It's just an added bonus... and EGT's will reach their safe ranges in moments under load.

In addition - heat soak will affect many factors, but as long as the oil and intake temps stay well within tolerances there is no issue (aka "engine damage" as you stated). My road course engine bay temps far exceeded those experienced on a few static dyno pulls even with limited downtime between pulls.

Remote mount systems are fine, it's the quality of components (or lack there of) that STI uses that is the real issue. I don't like them re-branding some components and marking up the price 500% for their kits. Recommend folks source out the components and build their own.

JTinFL 07-13-2009 08:02 AM

My statements come from hours and hours and hours on a dyno with a pyrometer checking the temperature of every pipe on the turbo kit to see why it won't make power on the first 3 pulls. When I refer to heat on the turbo, that is the only way I have of checking it is with the pyrometer and when the turbo gets close to 350-450 degrees is when the car makes the most power. Now with that being said, it takes around 4 to 5 pulls on the dyno to get it to that temperature and then the engine is heatsoaked. I have tuned hundreds and hundreds of turbo and single turbo cars and the STS kits always put down less power with the same size turbo on the same car due to the fact that it takes 4 or 5 pulls to get it to temperature. On most turbo cars that I tune in Florida I would never do 4 or 5 back to back pulls in fear of damaging the engine.

I understand completely what you are saying though with the heat, I just didn't have a way of measuring velocity on every STS kit that came in but could easy associate it with the heat on the exhaust housing for a reference.

trudawg660 08-03-2009 09:53 PM

is anyone still interested in buying a STS turbo?

davidj 08-04-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 653991)
cooler air most certainly does NOT mean denser air all the time. Cooler air USUALLY means denser air.

:facepalm:

Mohrg Beast 08-05-2009 01:53 PM

he he..i was going to get an STS kit but opted for the under the hood deal. i think someone should try it out though. i really was going to till i got a good offer from a very reputable company.. but STS was telling me that they would try and work out a discount for me since id be one of the first Camaros they got. Someone should get the STS system on their camaro and compare dynos with me once i get my turbo back from florida. and then we can put to rest any questions about which is better. im talking V6 turbos if anyone really wants to do this. ill have my car back around the middle of September. So if anyone wants to get the STS kit then order them put em on and well compare dynos.

Fire 08-05-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N (Post 653991)

I thought Mr. Wizard died. On earth, in typical atmospheric conditions, yadda yadda yadda it's pretty reliable as a rule. We're not going to the moon here.
:fighting0040:

HaveBlue 08-05-2009 09:40 PM

It all seems unimportant until someone cracks the tuning on this motor.

Primus 08-07-2009 04:14 PM

So, this is the turbo they are putting in the V6 vs. the GT-R. Interesting. Maybe it will be available soon for the public.

ZNOLMT 08-07-2009 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Primus (Post 772791)
So, this is the turbo they are putting in the V6 vs. the GT-R. Interesting. Maybe it will be available soon for the public.

:word: This is very promising toward a release of a V6 bolt on kit in the near future.

scrming 08-07-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaveBlue (Post 764878)
It all seems unimportant until someone cracks the tuning on this motor.

Exactly!!! Plumbing is easy... but without being able to tune... well....