Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   13 1LE TR6060 - Monster Twin Disc Clutch Woes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563660)

Silver02ws6 10-14-2019 08:11 PM

13 1LE TR6060 - Monster Twin Disc Clutch Woes

14 days into owning the new car my throwout bearing gave way causing the trans to needed pulled. Car was already heads, cam & full exhaust so I decided to upgrade and future proof.

The mechanic talked me into a Monster Twin LT1-SC which is good to 1k horsepower. I also had him do a TSW shifter as I loved the one that was in my C6Z.

Break-in was not great as expected. I ended up trading emails with Monster and the return spring had not been removed. Monster suggested I remove that and it really made it a different car. Still, a fair amount of chatter but that's expected with this clutch from what I have read.

The problem is I am experience several issues and I can't find info. I'm not sure how much of it is TR6060 common problems vs. a potential hydraulic issue or things were not installed correctly.

The issues:

*I've bled the clutch twice.

1. The clutch hangs - When turning and riding it out it will literally hang which causes the car to buck, if I dump all the way it grabs and goes. Makes turning a bit scary when in traffic and is something i have never experience with another manual car.

2. Car is getting hung in gear. Happens in 1st, 2nd 3rd and reverse. Low speeds in 1st or second it's like the car doesn't want to come immediately out of gear when I push the clutch in... if I coast a bit seems to slip right out. Will get stuck in reverse and i will have to let the clutch out to where it starts to grab and then push back in to release.

3.Car doesn't want to go into second sometimes when driving hard but from my research, this seems to be a TR6060 issue. Shift fine into all other gears.

I have no clue where to even start. The shifting is either buttery smooth or feels a bit like driving a tractor-trailer rowing through the gears. Heat in the trans has little to do with this. It happens cold / hot and in between.

Clutch has 2500 miles on it now. 1000 of that was a long highway drive.

Clarkstar 10-14-2019 08:21 PM

I have a spec stage 2.... similar mods. I'm having the same problem getting into second at high rpm. Already had Tick rebuild the trans and upgrade to carbon blockers. It's no better... I'm getting frustrated.

lemontwist 10-14-2019 08:41 PM

:pop2:

Clarkstar 10-14-2019 08:44 PM

I have the tick braided line. Ideal garage master cylinder.. separate reservoir. It feels like it just doesn't flow enough fluid to quickly disengage the clutch at high rpm.

Silver02ws6 10-15-2019 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkstar (Post 10640449)
I have a spec stage 2.... similar mods. I'm having the same problem getting into second at high rpm. Already had Tick rebuild the trans and upgrade to carbon blockers. It's no better... I'm getting frustrated.

From what ive read this is a TR6060 issue. That's actually the thing that concerns me the least based on my problems and what I've been able to find.

Firefighter 10-15-2019 09:08 AM

Did you change the throw out bearing? Also how many miles on the car/trans? Lastly what fluid are you running in the trans? I'm especially interested because I'm intending to buy the LT1-S (level below yours) clutch which hopefully has more reasonable driveability.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Silver02ws6 10-15-2019 09:17 AM

I did the billet throwout bearing they offer. Not sure the fluid but it was changed by the shop that did the work.

Clutch has around 2500 miles on it... trans has just over 30k.

Firefighter 10-15-2019 10:26 AM

One thing maybe to suggest just to rule it out is a fluid change. For some reason these trans are sensitive to the fluid. It uses an ATF for starters and that screws with an old timers head to be sure. I personally run the Valvoline Maxlife ATF and it works well. If you're really looking to rule out any chance of fluid related weirdness Tremec recently came out with a fluid specifically for their trans Summit has it. Also make sure the clutch/brake fluid is fresh and at least DOT4.

If problems persist after that then you gotta look at the clutch again. I hope it works out.

608RS 10-15-2019 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter (Post 10640835)
Tremec recently came out with a fluid specifically for their trans Summit has it.

interesting, is this the fluid you're speaking of?

http://www.tremec.com/not_am_detalle...mission-fluid/

Clarkstar 10-15-2019 11:25 AM

I've tried mobil 1 atf, redline and now amsoil... all the same. I changed the throw out bearing and have the monster billet slave bearing support.

Firefighter 10-15-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 608RS (Post 10640905)
interesting, is this the fluid you're speaking of?

http://www.tremec.com/not_am_detalle...mission-fluid/

Yeah, that's the stuff. It's expensive as hell though.

Firefighter 10-15-2019 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkstar (Post 10640917)
I've tried mobil 1 atf, redline and now amsoil... all the same. I changed the throw out bearing and have the monster billet slave bearing support.

I noticed the transmission was less "finicky" after I did the fluid swap to the Valvoline MaxLife ATF Synthetic fluid. I'm getting ready to swap out the fluid again I'll probably do the Tremec MTF this time.

The reason I'm suggesting the fluid swaps is to rule out the 6060 fluid quirks.

Silver02ws6 10-15-2019 01:16 PM

I confirmed that Amsoil Torque Drive was used in mine. Per the research, I have done people seem to have had good luck with that fluid. Mechanic is suggesting the car needs a separate reservoir which seems like a good idea in theory.

Afraid with the sticking in gear and floating issue that the trans is going to have to come back out. The thought of that is pretty discouraging considering the cost of the clutch install the first time around.

Firefighter 10-15-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver02ws6 (Post 10641055)
I confirmed that Amsoil Torque Drive was used in mine. Per the research, I have done people seem to have had good luck with that fluid. Mechanic is suggesting the car needs a separate reservoir which seems like a good idea in theory.

Afraid with the sticking in gear and floating issue that the trans is going to have to come back out. The thought of that is pretty discouraging considering the cost of the clutch install the first time around.

If you look around in my thread (see signature) you can see where I did two different separate reservoirs. Initially I did the GTO one and it helped but the Tilton reservoir is better. I believe I posted the template if not I might be able to locate it still. I got it from another member but it was an excellent base for the bracket I made.