Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Broke intake manifold bolt (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208701)

IndeedSS1 03-10-2012 04:15 PM

Broke intake manifold bolt

I was doing the fuel line relocation mod today. All was going well until torqueing the intake manifold bolts. For some reason my torque wrench stopped clicking on the second bolt from the back on the drivers side:facepalm:. And about the time I realized something was wrong the bolt snapped.

The car is idling fine but haven't taken it out for a drive yet. What are the chances I can run without that bolt and not have problems?:iono:

hypurone 03-10-2012 06:24 PM

Personally I wouldn't risk it. But it depends on which bolt it is. If it is an end bolt chances are worse than if a center bolt which has bolts on either side supplying some torque holding value.

carbon8 03-10-2012 06:39 PM

Just go get another bolt. And chances are you over torqued some of the other bolts.

Fastest camaro in OKC

IndeedSS1 03-10-2012 08:26 PM

Thanks guys.

I'm not sure why it was that one bolt but the rest torqued fine. A local builder said since it wasn't an end bolt it would likely be fine. The car idlles and drive fine and the fuel trims look good. I am going to spray some carb cleaner around that area while the engine is running to check for any leaks. Fingers crossed. Even if it's good, eventually the bolt will be replaced.

2SSRS@Gen5diy 03-10-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 (Post 4624461)
Thanks guys.

I'm not sure why it was that one bolt but the rest torqued fine. A local builder said since it wasn't an end bolt it would likely be fine. The car idlles and drive fine and the fuel trims look good. I am going to spray some carb cleaner around that area while the engine is running to check for any leaks. Fingers crossed. Even if it's good, eventually the bolt will be replaced.

Take the time to fix it, the intake manifold is plastic, in time it will leak, do it next week and get all new bolts you dont know that there torqued right.

IndeedSS1 03-11-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSRS (Post 4624763)
Take the time to fix it, the intake manifold is plastic, in time it will leak, do it next week and get all new bolts you dont know that there torqued right.

What is connected to the back of the intake manifold? I wanted to remove it too, just out of curiousity, but something was connected that i couldn't see.

mbrusco103 05-16-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 (Post 4625783)
What is connected to the back of the intake manifold? I wanted to remove it too, just out of curiousity, but something was connected that i couldn't see.

Brake booster hose is wrapped around another connector its a PITA to get out unless you have and extra set of hands to help you out

429 05-16-2013 07:56 PM

surprised the bolt let go before the aluminum threads in the head

pnyklr 05-17-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 429 (Post 6552939)
surprised the bolt let go before the aluminum threads in the head

True, unless the bolt was defective to begin with.

-Funk

IndeedSS1 05-17-2013 01:22 PM

Wow old thread. I put 50k on my car since the discussion and sold it.:facepalm:

black79ta 05-19-2013 10:24 AM

Just curious, did you ever fix the bolt, or did it run fine for another 50 k miles?

IndeedSS1 05-19-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black79ta (Post 6562426)
Just curious, did you ever fix the bolt, or did it run fine for another 50 k miles?

My SS was a daily driver that sometimes made multi-state trips so I was too paranoid to run without an end bolt. Chad Barton (CBI) was able to extract the recessed end of the bolt. He basically was able to weld enough tiny beads on top of each other until it was high enough to weld the top on and then back out the entire thing and install a new one. It was pretty impressive to me because it was recessed in the head enough that I wouldn't have thought it possible.:thumbup:

bw26ss 05-19-2013 07:30 PM

:facepalm:lmao