Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Updated GFX (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38987)

Mayhem 08-24-2009 02:30 PM

Updated GFX

Are people with the updated GFX generally problem free? Or are the new ones still causing a lot of grief ???

Really considering ditching mine before I pick up my car if they are gonna be that much of a hassle.... Although I prefer the look with them on....

I don't wanna be one of the "my dealer douched up my GFX and now I am waiting for a front lip" posts a few weeks from now.

:help:

PS - It would be helpful for those with problems/without problems if they could post the dates you got your ride with the GFX installed... to give an idea of how long until the problems surfaced. Thanks

BalogUK 08-24-2009 02:47 PM

there is no re-design. they clarified the install instructions on exactly how to attach the front splitter. problems surfaced almost immediately upon sustained highway speeds.

TeddyP25 08-24-2009 02:50 PM

NO issues with mine, mine have the updated install. Been well over a 100mph for long distance without any issues....(knock on wood)

lbs13 08-24-2009 02:55 PM

I really want the GFX but due to current funds I opted to due it later on. Is it best just to forget them or is it a small problem. I live on a gravel road so I don't want to trash the bottom of the car.:stang:

Mayhem 08-24-2009 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BalogUK (Post 838060)
there is no re-design. they clarified the install instructions on exactly how to attach the front splitter. problems surfaced almost immediately upon sustained highway speeds.

Yeah I meant, since the new manufacturer & the new instructions...
More or less wondering for the most part if even with the "proper" instructions being brought to dealers attention more often because of the problems.... if the problems are still frequently occuring or if it was an adequate solution...

Mayhem 08-24-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddyP25 (Post 838071)
NO issues with mine, mine have the updated install. Been well over a 100mph for long distance without any issues....(knock on wood)

Good to hear , thanks for sharing ;)

Curious, how long since attatched?

CGM2SSRS 08-24-2009 04:27 PM

If installed correctly there should be no problems. Problem is dealers get paid 3 hours for the job and it takes like 8+. Which means the car wash guy is getting the job. No knock on the car wash guy intended. Pay the right person to do the job. The first time.

Spaceballone 08-24-2009 04:41 PM

1 month`

1 month problem free, had her up pretty high and had no issues. right, there was no fix, it is just some of the dealerships were being lazy or not fully reading the instructions. GFX were getting installed without all 16 rivets/ screws. I looked under mine before i drove it off and you can see where they bolted that sucker on good!

stretchfe 08-24-2009 05:52 PM

I just had mine put on. According the dealer's body shop, they are slightly different than the original ones that came out with the way they tuck under the other body pieces. I opted not to have the front installed anyways.

2032Ceta 08-24-2009 06:52 PM

I'll say it again, dealerships were taking shortcuts putting on the front splitter. The front bumper must come off to install rivets from the back side in the center of the splitter. Dealerships were not doing this and thinking the two sided tape would hold it. As we all know, it doesn't. They have updated the instructions, however even the copy I have from Feb 09 explain the procedure for the bumper removal. Long story short, it was an install issue.

2010SSRSM6 08-27-2009 01:59 AM

Mine came with 2 right side hangers for the rear covers. Had to wait an extra day while the correct hanger was located at another dealership. Over 3K miles and speeds over 100+ m.p.h. with ZERO issues since install. Highly recommend them! I had to drive for 2 weeks with out them and you wouldn't believe the mess it made out of the rocker panels from rubber off the very soft PZero's and gunk off the roads. Worth every penny!

capebretoner 09-04-2009 10:43 AM

my dealer still took the shortcut installing my second gfx front lip, now i have 2 destroyed gfx pieces, and ugly clips and urethane attached to my bumper..

dougcanuck 09-04-2009 11:54 AM

all depends on the Dealer putting them on...the guy's at Lakewood took extra time and care to make sure installation and fit were the best they could do...it's all about the people! thanks.

ffrcobra_65 09-04-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougcanuck (Post 884590)
all depends on the Dealer putting them on...the guy's at Lakewood took extra time and care to make sure installation and fit were the best they could do...it's all about the people! thanks.

You nailed it. I totally agree. Folks, keep in mind, dealers are just learning to install the Camaro GFX. It is a learn on the job process as far as installation and final fit are concerned. I just picked mine up the other day and the dealer did as best they could but these GFX are essentially after-market add-on and fit is not 100% perfect. I am obssessive so a 100% to someone else may not be for me. I posted a couple of pics thread below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...d=1#post885309