Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   zl1 axles (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287833)

Kodis16 04-07-2013 07:46 PM

zl1 axles

looking for new axles and not wanting to spend to much money and been thinking of the zl1 axles... does anyone know if they directly fit?

bannonm 04-08-2013 09:36 AM

They do not fit into the SS diff. The outer spline will work in the hub, just not the inner one into the diff. Only the 1LE axle will fit, though no one has confirmed the SS hubs will work. When I swapped mine we tested fitment and they looked fine. The 1LE/ZL1 hubs look to be physical the same as the SS hubs.

jmss 04-08-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bannonm (Post 6397653)
They do not fit into the SS diff. The outer spline will work in the hub, just not the inner one into the diff. Only the 1LE axle will fit, though no one has confirmed the SS hubs will work. When I swapped mine we tested fitment and they looked fine. The 1LE/ZL1 hubs look to be physical the same as the SS hubs.

How much power can 1le axles handle?

Kodis16 04-09-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bannonm (Post 6397653)

how much does the 1le axles cost and where would be the best place to find them? and also just to clarify they would be a direct fitment with no modifications or interchanges? and what are they rated at? THANKS!

Tyler360 04-09-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodis16 (Post 6402310)
how much does the 1le axles cost and where would be the best place to find them? and also just to clarify they would be a direct fitment with no modifications or interchanges? and what are they rated at? THANKS!

+1

bannonm 04-09-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodis16 (Post 6402310)

The 1LE axle can be had for around $220 a piece or less. The shop I work with can get them but he's not going to sell just the axles. If you had him do the install you would get them discounted. The only additional things you would need are the new axle nuts, and optionally 1LE/ZL1 hubs. It's a good idea to have the axle removal tool to protect the diff seals when you remove and reinstall the axles. If you nick a seal you'll wish you bought the tool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmss (Post 6397750)
How much power can 1le axles handle?

More than the SS that's for sure. Find a post by me where I posted a picture of the outer CV joint. It's larger than the stock SS. No one can tell you for sure what they are rated except the GM engineer that made them. I got them because I was lead to believe you had to swap axles if you wanted the 1LE/ZL1 heavy duty hubs. I don't believe that is case. We looked at both hubs and saw no difference in size, anywhere. The 1LE axle fit into the SS hub spline just fine, and vice versa.