Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Best Exhaust (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297226)

Faster12 05-23-2013 02:18 AM

Best Exhaust

I searched this forum and I found questions about specific exhaust systems, but not quite what I was looking for. I want to know what's the best exahust system. I'm looking for the biggest gains, not neccessarily the most sound. I'm not looking to do anything soon, but when the time comes to ditch the factory exhaust, what's the absolute best cat-back system out there?

supercharged zl1 05-23-2013 02:20 AM

Borla atak is the best IMO.

TripleBlkZL1 05-23-2013 02:24 AM

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think the best exhaust set-up is Longtube Headers and stock cat back. For what you have to pay for an aftermart cat back system is just to damn high and in my eyes not worth it. Just my opinion.

Faster12 05-23-2013 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 (Post 6578248)
I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think the best exhaust set-up is Longtube Headers and stock cat back. For what you have to pay for an aftermart cat back system is just to damn high and in my eyes not worth it. Just my opinion.

I don't disagree with what your saying, but this question is being posed based on the idea that eventually the stock system will have to be replaced.

TripleBlkZL1 05-23-2013 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster12 (Post 6578251)
I don't disagree with what your saying, but this question is being posed based on the idea that eventually the stock system will have to be replaced.

Gotcha

I would go with Borla Attack

SlingShot 05-23-2013 07:09 AM

But why replace a non restrictive OEM catback system with an aftermarket one that does the same thing ? If you were to buy the OEM system, it would run around $1200. You would be better off just replacing the exhaust manifolds or CATS ... IMO

npd337 05-23-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingShot (Post 6578520)
But why replace a non restrictive OEM catback system with an aftermarket one that does the same thing ? If you were to buy the OEM system, it would run around $1200. You would be better off just replacing the exhaust manifolds or CATS ... IMO

+1

swizlstik 05-23-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 (Post 6578253)
Gotcha

I would go with Borla Attack

This

Happy_Dan 05-23-2013 08:37 AM

Why would you have to replace the stock?
Headers and stock cat back seems to be quite good to me.

2012-1822 05-23-2013 09:56 AM

I know this isn't what you asked, but a member or two on here posted videos of long tube headers and factory mufflers and factory cat back and it didn't necessarily sound loud loud, but it sounded real good, and there will be gain from it, plus if you are going to do any serious work on the car down the road, that and a CAI would be a good foundation.

So anyway, that's whay I've done, American Racing Headers and high flow cats are in my den now waiting to get put on, Rotofab CAI is already on the car.

hognutz 05-23-2013 02:29 PM

normally when you look at HP and flow numbers from the more know exhaust companies they are all good so that is why people check down to sound, fitment, drone, etc.

IE billy boat, Coarsa, Magnaflow, Borla there is not much differnce.

biggest gains will come from longtubes first then catback second.

1.borla flows awesome but will drone
2. Corsa works well does not drone but i don't like the sound at idle as much as borla
3. magnaflow uses 409 pipe so I don't use them
4. billy boat is a dual mode exhaust like factory so you can tone it down if need be.
5. stinless works sounds great with there headers but some have complained of fitment issues.

my .02 is start with headers and if you still want catback go from there.

My buddie just did heads and cams on his Z06 and the Billy boat system was a god send on calming down the drone as it went off the charts bad.

CROWN 05-23-2013 09:49 PM

Recently installed Kooks Long tubes and hi flow cats and corsa cat back on a customers car, sounds great.