Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Trade-offs when buying first camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426812)

SharkBoyEI 10-18-2015 08:22 PM

Trade-offs when buying first camaro

Near the end of this year I am hoping to trade my truck in on a v6 camaro. I am wanting to get the camaro because when I graduate school this year I will be commuting around 100 miles to college per trip. Anyways, looking at the Camaro, there are a few trade-offs that I need your help with. Research shows for around $20,000 I can get a newer camaro, say 2014 with about 10,000 miles but it would be a base model. On the other hand, I could get a 2011-2012 lt with around 35-40,000 miles. Lastly, I could go for a 2lt, but it would have even more mileage like around 45-50,000. Which would you choose? I know the newer the camaro the more HP the v6 cranks out, but I would really love a 2lt or 1lt. I really have my heart set on a 2lt though. I want the HUD and the Boston acoustics sound system.

ajohnson 10-18-2015 09:07 PM

The newer model v6 camaros getting more HP is only on paper. So dont let that sway your decision. I personally bought a 2010 and absolutely love it.

norf 10-18-2015 09:12 PM

I would recommend a used honda accord or the like. Something more economical would be better for a college student. You need to focus on school, girls and having fun. worrying about a nicer car detracts from the college experience. get a nice new SS when you graduate.

JLSuperfly 10-18-2015 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norf (Post 8690751)
I would recommend a used honda accord or the like. Something more economical would be better for a college student. You need to focus on school, girls and having fun. worrying about a nicer car detracts from the college experience. get a nice new SS when you graduate.

This.

EMB135Driver 10-18-2015 09:21 PM

I'd recommend a brand new Toyota Corolla or Hyundai Elantra....find a leftover 2015 and save $$$$$.....much better for your needs and a warranty to minimize maintenance expense while in school.

caverman 10-18-2015 09:26 PM

Don't crush the dude's spirit. I had a sports car in college and the only issue I had was scraping up the money for the expensive tires but I wouldn't have traded it for a honda or corolla.

I would go for the used 1LT or 2LT. It's up to you as to you to decide if the leather seats and bluetooth are worth the extra money.

glider1 10-18-2015 09:34 PM

Being a new college student, you're going to have a lot of expenses just for that. If you have a certain amount of money available to buy a car, I would buy a new car for $20K before I spent the same amount for a 5 year old car with 50K miles. With the new car, you get a warranty. The 5 year old car, you get nothing and if it breaks, you will need to come up with unbudgeted cash to fix it.

When you graduate college and get a job, then go for the biggest baddest car you can afford.

norf 10-18-2015 09:35 PM

not to mention your friends aren't going to want to sit in the back for road trips.

SharkBoyEI 10-18-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 8690767)
Don't crush the dude's spirit. I had a sports car in college and the only issue I had was scraping up the money for the expensive tires but I wouldn't have traded it for a honda or corolla.

I would go for the used 1LT or 2LT. It's up to you as to you to decide if the leather seats and bluetooth are worth the extra money.

Thanks. I really have my heart set on the camaro. Honestly if I don't get a camaro I'd just get a little beater car to drive. I know people will say about a teenager and not being responsible etc. here's a picture of my truck... http://i59.tinypic.com/fdzpkh.jpg
I've owned it for almost two years now and you can see I keep it in pristine condition. I also work my butt off in school. I'm currently taking ap calculus and ap chemistry with the hopes of being a nuclear engineer... I think you can tell I'm not a normal teenager. Plus my parents have a 2008 g8 gt that I get to drive to school, so I know the power from the v6 isn't going to get to me.

SharkBoyEI 10-18-2015 09:42 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention it's very likely that I won't have to pay for college thanks to my dad serving in combat. About 5 people got the full scholarship from my highschool last year. I am far above them academically and we meet all of the requirements

norf 10-18-2015 09:51 PM

Well thats cool.

For 20k you should be able to get a brand new 1LS.

Synyster 10-18-2015 09:59 PM

I'd keep the truck, personally. College girls love trucks. If the gas mileage really matters that much, I'd be looking at a reliable economy car.

mckinney 10-18-2015 10:22 PM

Camaro all the way

1 Attachment(s)
I would go with the Camaro..
Solid car with very few issues

A 2013 with 30~40 miles should run around ~$12K like the one I turned in..

stock block 10-18-2015 10:40 PM

2010 SS can be found cheap with low miles , you only live once and tommorow is not a guarantee