Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   ZL1 / CTS-V Brakes (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71401)

600hp-lpe 03-16-2010 10:33 PM

Nice mod Pete.. Excellent write up. I like it!

They look like they will do the job nicely.

Mark H 03-17-2010 06:19 AM

Very nice brakes

radz28 03-17-2010 09:41 AM

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!

JusticePete 03-17-2010 09:55 AM

The best part is they are all GM OEM engineered and validated. It is cost effective braking solution that works really well as proven with a 'Ring' record.

radz28 03-17-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 1600312)
The best part is they are all GM OEM engineered and validated. It is cost effective braking solution that works really well as proven with a 'Ring' record.

:word: and :word: . So far, this solution makes the most sense. When I buy parts, I try to anticipate what I'll need to do when it comes time to service them; in this case, for brakes, what happens when I need pads, or what happens if I need to replace a piston or something. Well, that's easy, because I can go straight to a Cadillac dealership with this solution. (I'll admit that I don't know what, if any, parts are servicable on these calipers, but knowing that they are GM parts, with part numbers, gives me confidence that I won't have to chase my tail trying to find parts if the need arrises).

Well done, and brilliant thinking, IMVHO.

radz28 03-17-2010 10:00 AM

Also - isn't there a brake upgrade from Cadillac too, for the rotors and pads; cross-drilled or something? That should work too, I suppose.

JusticePete 03-17-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radz282003 (Post 1600333)
Also - isn't there a brake upgrade from Cadillac too, for the rotors and pads; cross-drilled or something? That should work too, I suppose.

There are SUPPOSED to be two piece (aluminum hat bolted to an iron rotor) rotors. They were sold as the J63 option for the CTS-V in 2009. The option was discontinued for 2010. The calipers were red, but the same as the silver in function as were the pads. Only the front rotor was different. They are NOT a GM part. They are supposed to be available from Brembo and are not. After much research into the mystery of the missing two piece rotors (thank you Witt Buick Pedders and my secret sources) I can tell you they are not currently available, BUT will be down the road.

Cadillac recommends the rotors be changed with the pads (there is a surprise for performance brakes LOL) so my guess is that some time later this year or early next year we will all be updating pads and rotors based on wear and the availability of the two piece rotors.

As for slots and holes -- I am not a big fan. Modern pads do not gas like the older pads making the slots and holes of minimal value. Granted some high end designs like the carbon ceramic ZR1 have holes. I run no holes and no slots for maximum clamping heat tolerance. Crude brake ducts are critical on our cars as there is little air flow to cool the brakes. This is just my opinion and not absolute certain fact as would be my opinion on anything suspension related ;)

radz28 03-17-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 1600503)
There are SUPPOSED to be two piece (aluminum hat bolted to an iron rotor) rotors. They were sold as the J63 option for the CTS-V in 2009. The option was discontinued for 2010. The calipers were red, but the same as the silver in function as were the pads. Only the front rotor was different. They are NOT a GM part. They are supposed to be available from Brembo and are not. After much research into the mystery of the missing two piece rotors (thank you Witt Buick Pedders and my secret sources) I can tell you they are not currently available, BUT will be down the road.

Cadillac recommends the rotors be changed with the pads (there is a surprise for performance brakes LOL) so my guess is that some time later this year or early next year we will all be updating pads and rotors based on wear and the availability of the two piece rotors.

As for slots and holes -- I am not a big fan. Modern pads do not gas like the older pads making the slots and holes of minimal value. Granted some high end designs like the carbon ceramic ZR1 have holes. I run no holes and no slots for maximum clamping heat tolerance. Crude brake ducts are critical on our cars as there is little air flow to cool the brakes. This is just my opinion and not absolute certain fact as would be my opinion on anything suspension related ;)

AAAHHHHH!!! Thanks for the info' :thumbsup::clap::bow:

76CamaroLT 03-17-2010 11:29 AM

Great post! Thanks for your efforts.
I have a feeling it would only make sense that these show up on the Z28. :D
And I love that they fit under 19" wheels!

camaro4mybday 03-17-2010 11:41 AM

just throwing it out there but wouldnt the z06/zr1 brakes fit as well like gm did on the jay leno camaro:iono:

radz28 03-17-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76CamaroLT (Post 1600717)
Great post! Thanks for your efforts.
I have a feeling it would only make sense that these show up on the Z28. :D
And I love that they fit under 19" wheels!

Yes... They should fit under the ZR1 rims I'll have to stick on my SS/Z28 :D Having that shorter tire will shave some weight and loss too :D

JusticePete 03-17-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro4mybday (Post 1600760)
just throwing it out there but wouldnt the z06/zr1 brakes fit as well like gm did on the jay leno camaro:iono:

There is a big difference between the Z06 and ZR1 brakes. Leno's camaro is on my coilovers, but I don't remember which brakes are on the car. Did it have ZR1?

radz28 03-17-2010 11:57 AM

So, I remember the Z06 brakes, at least used to have seperate pads for each piston and I think the ZR1s went to single pads per side of the disk. These look kinda' like ZR1 calipers; is that right?

JusticePete 03-17-2010 12:26 PM

ZR1 Brakes are not what most would consider cost effective.

In what must be a very sweet moment for a longtime Corvette engineer, Juechter notes that the monster 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units.

Juechter says, "The only vehicle I know of that has these brakes as standard equipment is the 1,000-hp Bugatti Veyron." Then he adds with a grin, "Although I think you can get them as a $20,000 option on the Ferrari 599."