Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Fun With A CTS-V Coupe This Morning (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346916)

BigBoyBlue 03-11-2014 08:37 PM

Fun With A CTS-V Coupe This Morning

Driving into work today, some guy in his 50's (I'm 41)in a CTS-V coupe starts egging me on to race. Since we were in DC traffic, I decided not to engage, although I did give him a little exhaust in case he thought I was a regular Camaro.

My question is: What are the differences between his car and a ZL1? I'm assuming that they have a slightly upgraded interior, while we have a little more HP. I used to think the CTS-V Coupe was ugly, but it looked good in this red that looked like CRT.

Are most of the internals the same in both cars?

2012-1822 03-11-2014 09:51 PM

I think I read there were basically two differences that upped the hp from the CTS-V to the ZL1, exhaust was one. And intake or something was the other. So I think internally they should be the same.

BPG 03-11-2014 10:04 PM

The V has a different supercharger lid too. I know the V guys are always looking for our lid.

ZMEnow 03-11-2014 10:46 PM

Unique components to the ZL1's LSA (versus the Cadillac CTS-V's):
&bull Black intercooler housing with unique heat exchanger and plumbing to accommodate the Camaro engine compartment
&bull Cast stainless steel exhaust manifolds for enhanced thermal management
&bull Camaro-specific oil pan
&bull Revised accessory drive with unique alternator and air conditioning compressor
&bull Idler pulley in place of the conventional power steering pump pulley, because of the use of electric power steering
&bull Special engine cover in red.

Read more: http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...#ixzz1dWZiMaOO

JamesMyBoy 03-11-2014 11:07 PM

There's a YouTube video out there where a CTS-V wagon and a ZL1 race at a drag strip. The CTS wins. They try it again, and the CTS wins again. They line up a third time, and three guys jump in the V Wagon... So now there's four guys in the CTS-V wagon, and it wins again! Not sure how hard the ZL1 was trying, but it was pretty funny!

SargeantSarcasm 03-11-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy (Post 7487916)
There's a YouTube video out there where a CTS-V wagon and a ZL1 race at a drag strip. The CTS wins. They try it again, and the CTS wins again. They line up a third time, and three guys jump in the V Wagon... So now there's four guys in the CTS-V wagon, and it wins again! Not sure how hard the ZL1 was trying, but it was pretty funny!

Isn't that the video where both cars have the Hennessey packages...? Definitely not stock vs stock if it is

cvp33 03-11-2014 11:55 PM

I've owned both and it's a driver's race. My CTS-V coupe just ran 11.74@121mph with CAI and drag radials. That was with a 1.77 60'. 11.60's are definitely doable for both cars with good air, good track prep, good tires and good driver. IMO

Whos_Drivin 03-12-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy (Post 7487916)

Both the Z and V had LPE packages. The V had a driver mod advantage too.

Todd in Vancouver 03-12-2014 12:22 AM

What a great world and time we live in when we discuss these two cars and it being a drivers race and both in the 11's.

Who would have believed it 20+ years ago.

OldScoolCamaro 03-12-2014 12:53 AM

...before we get into the mechanical differences, what's age got to do with it...just sayin....'oh here we go LOL....:smiling1:

BigBoyBlue 03-12-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro (Post 7488043)
...before we get into the mechanical differences, what's age got to do with it...just sayin....'oh here we go LOL....:smiling1:

I didn't think a 50+ guy would want to race in traffic. At 41, I'm already a curmudgeon. Haha. Seriously, I didn't think it was safe. I guess I was surprised by his lack of maturity.

vcyclenut 03-13-2014 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked up a v coupe, car is amazing!!

the v is about 100 lbs heavier and is rated I think 25 hp less, so I would think the zl1 should have an advantage not huge but an advantage non the less

obligatory pic :)

BigBoyBlue 03-13-2014 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcyclenut (Post 7492053)
I just picked up a v coupe, car is amazing!!

the v is about 100 lbs heavier and is rated I think 25 hp less, so I would think the zl1 should have an advantage not huge but an advantage non the less

obligatory pic :)

Really nice!! I think I'd rather the CTS-V than my ZL1.

vcyclenut 03-13-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBoyBlue (Post 7492497)
Really nice!! I think I'd rather the CTS-V than my ZL1.

thanks, well my thought process was first I wanted a Camaro, then I saw for $35k you can get a really done up Camaro so I thought ill get that , then I saw that there were v's available for a bit over 40. seemed like a no brainer, I think resale value will be much better on the V but the zl1 is one bad ass car for sure!!!