Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Police decals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270448)

=Stephens= 01-11-2013 11:45 AM

Police decals

My friend has a Mustang and wants to make it look like the one in Transformers 1. He called the local police and they said as long as it is not the same font he could and that was the Cpt who told him this. I find this hard to believe. Any LEO out there with experience on this issue?
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps7d7541cb.jpg

Caspers2SSRS 01-11-2013 11:47 AM

Well as a citizen.................I do~ Yeap prefectly groovey.......so long its a trailer/ car show queen. Otherwise........here comes the real Fuzz~

=Stephens= 01-11-2013 11:48 AM

He is going to drive it everyday.

Ringo64 01-11-2013 11:51 AM

One of my friends on a G6 forum actually did this to one of his Mustangs, let me find the link.

Ah found it! http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12844

darkrider01 01-11-2013 11:52 AM

Probably a very bad idea. It could very easily be considered "Impersonating a Law Enforcement Officer." That is a misdemeanor. Maybe he could just paint the car like Barricade and then use magnetic decals for shows?

Edit: Read through the other forums - that guy made a replica and drives it around. If you clear it with the police (That means local and state police) then you should be golden. Just hope you catch a cop on a bad day.

Forcer 01-11-2013 11:56 AM

Honestly.. its a great idea, but dont paint or vinyl it on, get a big door magnet that says police.. ive done alot of research into making my own transformer mustang version, thats the best idea i had was make a white magnet to stick on the doors, and they can be removed. best advice i can give. i look forward to seeing him around here.

Scalded Dog 01-11-2013 12:01 PM

The definition of "impersonting a police officer" can be very broad, and subject to interpretation. One cop might think that a black car with white doors is a violation, while a police chief might verbally offer, "Sure... write 'Police' on the door, just change the font from ours!" I would NOT want to touch that nebulous gray area under any circumstances, as the wrong cop, the wrong judge, and the wrong lawyer would, at a miminum, create a costly legal battle, and at worst, well, there is no boundary.

40years 01-11-2013 12:07 PM

Seems to me that some just ASK for trouble.

MMC 01-11-2013 12:09 PM

Whats he plan on doing when someone flags him down for help or if a bad guy spots him at the wrong time? Bad idea, regardless of the legality. :chevy:

SIM Curly 01-11-2013 12:11 PM

I remember reading that the guy who has one has the Police painted on but when he drives it around he has a magnet that says police in decepticon language however you can translate that from poilce.

FenwickHockey65 01-11-2013 12:14 PM

It's a bad idea all around. I'm all for making your car look like a police car (I plan on doing it to an Impala in the future) but the "police" script on the door is just asking for it.

And even if his local PD said it was fine, what happens if he drives it outside their jurisdiction?

mr_honez 01-11-2013 12:20 PM

As long as the car is on the roadway, I would not do it.

Fiveg56 01-11-2013 12:33 PM

Ok for a show car.....NOT for a daily driver. It's a danergous plan...Cops get shot at all the time for no reason....

I know some who have show cars that are made to look like old squads....they place magnets over the police decals that say "out of serivce" or "not in service" to drive them on public roads.

Scalded Dog 01-11-2013 12:44 PM

Story time, kiddos: Many years ago, the headlights on my Cutlass looked just like the cruisers in my town. One evening, I saw Gene "Gene Gene the Smokin' Machine" Walters bombing down the road, so I whipped a u-turn, got behind him, and placed a red light on my dashboard (had a Mag-Lite and a red shop rag)... just to have a little fun with my buddy. Moments later, I saw small objects come flying out the windows of his car... both sides. Lots of small objects. Gene finally pulled over, and when I walked up to the window, and said, "Hey, man... Whassup?!?" he was so relieved--- and stoned--- that I was NOT the po-po, that he and his buddies just laughed and laughed and laughed. They are probably still on the side of the road now, laughing about their good fortune, 25 years later. I have no idea how much stuff they pitched out the window that night... but I sure am glad they never had the thought process capabilities to draw the conclusion that ME "impersonating a police officer" was the reason they threw all of their dope out.