Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Break in period for MGW short throw shifter? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171574)

papawattz 09-15-2011 05:49 PM

Break in period for MGW short throw shifter?

I just installed a MGW short throw shifter in my SS and was wondering if their was a break in period? I've only put about 15 miles or so on it but it just seems to be abnormally stiff and notchy, especially 2nd and 6th gear. Don't get me wrong the shifter's got great short throws, feels very solid and looks awesome with the red SS gripper shifter, But I just can't get over how much effort you need to change gears! Plus it seems a little more noisy than the stock shifter?:iono:

Eric Baker 09-15-2011 05:56 PM

Yes it will break in slightly. And yes it is a little noisier than the stocker, especially if you tend to rest your hand on it while driving, which you shouldn't do anyway.

faSSt 09-15-2011 06:00 PM

I've had mine in for about 4000 miles, the centering spring may have gotten a little bit looser (hard to tell when you drive it daily/weekly) But if it seems like its a bit notchy or hard to get into gear you might want to make sure that it is installed nice and level under there. As far as noise, i think mine has less road noise coming through than stock but when it come to actually engageing the gear its probably a little louder.

I talked with George at MGW and he said he was making a replacement knob shaft to make it a little taller. (more leverage/easier on your forearm)

papawattz 09-15-2011 06:19 PM

2nd version of shifter

I'm wondering, do you have the first version where the front support arms are straight, with one hole at each end and require you to leave the bolt loose until yhe end for leveling purposes? Because I got a revised version where the two front support arms have a slight angle to them and have a second hole on top of the bolt hole, where they now have a guide pin that eliminates having to leave the bolt loose for leveling.

Good2go 09-15-2011 06:20 PM

I've had mine now for around a thousand miles, it is a bit stiff, notchy even, no change so far since the install. I haven't experienced any noise issues though.

papawattz 09-15-2011 06:23 PM

1000 miles,huh....this might suck! maybe I'll get used to it,did you?:(

papawattz 09-15-2011 06:38 PM

I also don't understand why so noisy? all the extra insulation and padding this thing should have been quieter?

papawattz 09-15-2011 06:44 PM

I don't mind the effort so much,I do work out and drink my milk! But the notchyness sucks. I'm just wondering if this purchase was worth it? I guess I'll just have to give it some time.

faSSt 09-15-2011 07:51 PM

I have the original version. That's cool though, no need to level new setup

njdad61 09-15-2011 07:58 PM

The TR6060 is notchy in the first place, it's just harder to feel it with the sloppy stock shifter. You have the new version, so no need to worry about leveling it. I have the composite race knob and there is a little more noise due to the materials used, especially when resting your hand on it. Which bushings did you use? The hard, black race ones come installed but there are gray, softer bushings in a plastic baggie that are made for street use that soften it up some. Those are the bushings I used and it's definitely not as harsh while still having a "firm" feel. I've never missed a shift or had any sort of discomfort with them installed.

SSE 4 2SS 09-15-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papawattz (Post 3759360)
1000 miles,huh....this might suck! maybe I'll get used to it,did you?:(

The centering spring does loosen up quite a bit... More so than most realize...

The reason I say this is I thought mine was still tight and I tried one that had just been installed in a friends car... Wow, what a difference...

You'll learn to hold the shifter different and soon loose any discomfort and concern with it...

When going into 2nd and 6th, since you mentioned them, I don't hold the shifter, I cup it with my palm on the passenger side, thumb on top, and pull it towards me... then slide it up to third with my palm...

Going into 6th, I have my palm on the side of the shifter, drivers side, thumb down, and push it away from me as I'm sliding it down into 6th...

My 5th 09-15-2011 10:10 PM

I had my MGW installed a little over a week ago and noticed the same stiffness and notchiness. Also frequently end up in 4th when trying to go from 5th to 6th. It has seemed to loosen up a little since then. BUT...just today I received and installed the optional retro shifter lever and ball with the red SS, I think that lever is a little bit longer than the standard one for the stock leather ball and so far, in an around-the-block test, it seems to decrease the shift effort slightly (also seems to make the throw seem a little longer). I think it will help with the 5th to 6th shifts because the ball is perfectly round and my palm seems to pivot better on it than the irregular stock leather knob.

I also noticed increased road noise through the shifter and console area. I thought all those foam pads would make it quieter. But I noticed when installing the new lever and ball that those pads are a loose fit in there. I think noise is coming around the edges, so I stuffed some new, clean polishing cloths around the sides and packed them in a little better, and I think it's a little quieter now. Only time will tell though.

papawattz 09-16-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdad61 (Post 3759833)
The TR6060 is notchy in the first place, it's just harder to feel it with the sloppy stock shifter. You have the new version, so no need to worry about leveling it. I have the composite race knob and there is a little more noise due to the materials used, especially when resting your hand on it. Which bushings did you use? The hard, black race ones come installed but there are gray, softer bushings in a plastic baggie that are made for street use that soften it up some. Those are the bushings I used and it's definitely not as harsh while still having a "firm" feel. I've never missed a shift or had any sort of discomfort with them installed.

Hey thanks for the feedback, I too have the gripper shift knob, and it's funny you said that about the sloppy factory shifter,a guy at work basically said the same thing! You know I read in the instructions about the different bushings, but I didn't recieve the softer ones as an option? I Drove it around quite a bit today and it seems to be loosning up,or I'm just getting used to it? I also just noticed today it seems to rattle and clunk around more(when cold or low speeds), not the mgw,but something else, any clues anybody?:iono: