Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sponsors Camaro Builds / Project Cars (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Carbon Fiber Front Splitter (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582584)

Army of Wuzzy 10-02-2020 09:46 PM

Carbon Fiber Front Splitter

7 Attachment(s)
As I found myself finishing my second year of college (mechanical engineering) during Covid-19 season, I needed to fill my time. I had just finished a fluid dynamics class which covered aerodynamics and wanted to see what improvements I could make on my Camaro. I also have a huge interest in composites, although my only experience has been with respect to FSAE.

To keep a long story short, I created a front splitter out of carbon fiber, and I'm in love with it. I hand laid the entire thing, so while there are errors, I think it turned out fantastically. Here is some production photos

Attachment 1046018
Attachment 1046017
Attachment 1046019

Here it is on my Camaro

Attachment 1046020
Attachment 1046021
Attachment 1046022
Attachment 1046023
I don't want to write a whole process of how I did the whole setup, although I am more than happy to discuss the process with anyone interested.

ariZona28 10-03-2020 11:46 AM

Gotta say BEAUTIFUL WORK!!! Almost too nice for street use. Watch out for curbs, rain channels and other road abnormalities. I've been considering getting the "Sliplo" protection for my Z. You may want to do the same to protect your excellent fab work.

xstuntman 10-05-2020 10:59 PM

Wow, very nice.
The rods mount to the steel bumper it looks like?
I want to build a similar setup but the idea of removing the nose has put me off so far.

Army of Wuzzy 10-06-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariZona28 (Post 10878684)
Gotta say BEAUTIFUL WORK!!! Almost too nice for street use. Watch out for curbs, rain channels and other road abnormalities. I've been considering getting the "Sliplo" protection for my Z. You may want to do the same to protect your excellent fab work.

I appreciate it a lot. While the roads in STL are terrible, I haven't had any issues scraping even while being on coilovers. Maybe after the sideskirts. I definitely could use more work involving carbon fiber. I've toyed with the idea of recreating them in a batch to sell, although I'd definitely need to refine my process, and eliminate as much error as possible.

Your Z is absolutely gorgeous. Definitely a dream car of mine for sometime after I finish my undergrad.

Army of Wuzzy 10-06-2020 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xstuntman (Post 10880150)
Wow, very nice.
The rods mount to the steel bumper it looks like?
I want to build a similar setup but the idea of removing the nose has put me off so far.

It does connect to the steel bumper because otherwise it wouldn't have much rigidity other than the frame mounts. I definitely recommend doing something similar, and I'll definitely offer advice/ideas where I can.

xstuntman 10-09-2020 12:46 PM

Well, i guess i'm pulling the nose off and doing it.
ABS or carbon fiber is my next dilemma. If CF then i gotta build a form too but less likely to break in the long run. The jury is still out on material but either way it'll need rods.

Army of Wuzzy 10-09-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xstuntman (Post 10882305)
Well, i guess i'm pulling the nose off and doing it.
ABS or carbon fiber is my next dilemma. If CF then i gotta build a form too but less likely to break in the long run. The jury is still out on material but either way it'll need rods.

Carbon fiber is a great way to go. I worked on it in my free time and found it took me about a week. If you need any assistance in design, feel free to message me!

1JEWLDSSRS 10-29-2020 03:35 PM

Bro, that looks freakin amazing !! Nice work and looks great on your Camaro!!!

greyscale 05-11-2021 11:45 AM

Looks awesome, a buddy of mine started doing carbon on his own cars and friends cars and now owns an amazing carbon fiber company that makes whatever you can think of! Might be a good idea for you as well, can never have enough good people working on carbon.

rocknroll_jeph 05-11-2021 09:16 PM

That is very beautiful work. I've had a splitter on my car for almost as long as I've owned it (though I doubt it actually does anything) and I've been pretty careful and its remained relatively scratch free. I just curbed it while parallel parking soon after I bought it. I learned my lesson real quick and haven't had any more bumps after that. I hope yours also stays mint too.

I was wondering about your fog lights, are you using them as ducts for brakes?

Army of Wuzzy 08-30-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocknroll_jeph (Post 11008839)
That is very beautiful work. I've had a splitter on my car for almost as long as I've owned it (though I doubt it actually does anything) and I've been pretty careful and its remained relatively scratch free. I just curbed it while parallel parking soon after I bought it. I learned my lesson real quick and haven't had any more bumps after that. I hope yours also stays mint too.

I was wondering about your fog lights, are you using them as ducts for brakes?

Yeah that was the original use for the holes. I didn't have foglights so I fitted in the ducting systems. Pulled them out a while ago to refine the system and life got in the way so I never got around to redoing them although its on the list.

Army of Wuzzy 08-30-2021 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greyscale (Post 11008490)
Looks awesome, a buddy of mine started doing carbon on his own cars and friends cars and now owns an amazing carbon fiber company that makes whatever you can think of! Might be a good idea for you as well, can never have enough good people working on carbon.

I've definitely considered composites work for a career. My engineering class that covered those topics was one of my favorite classes I've taken. They're super awesome to work with!

Army of Wuzzy 08-30-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS (Post 10894023)
Bro, that looks freakin amazing !! Nice work and looks great on your Camaro!!!

Thank you! It was a lot of work, but I love it. I still want to do some side skirts but I'm planning to get more in depth with the process.

rocknroll_jeph 08-30-2021 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Army of Wuzzy (Post 11062590)
Yeah that was the original use for the holes. I didn't have foglights so I fitted in the ducting systems. Pulled them out a while ago to refine the system and life got in the way so I never got around to redoing them although its on the list.

I'd love to see how you make the fog lights into ducts. t seems to be a bit tighter inside the Camaro's front bumper. I've installed brake ducts on my other car, a Z4. There is a company that makes backing plates that bolt on for the Z4, all I had to do was cut out a hole in the grill for the ducting.