Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Tire Monitoring System issue (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39129)

Richochet83 08-25-2009 10:31 AM

Tire Monitoring System issue

My tire monitoring system is acting crazy. Its saying I have low tire pressure on the right passenger side (31 according to the car) but when I checked the pressure manually it says 37. After I put air in the tire anyway and reset the computer, the damn thing is telling me now to service the Tire Monitoring System. So I get to work and tell my co-worker who owners a 2010 Camaro SS and he said he is having the same problem. Needless to say I'm taking it to the dealer to have it looked at but AFTER I get my free pizza from Papa John's tomorrow (lol).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

8ty8 ls1 08-25-2009 10:48 AM

did you try resetting the monitors on the tires? there's a pattern in which you let out air of each tire, then refill to reset...should be in the manual

CamaroSue 08-25-2009 11:01 AM

Yep, I'm having this same issue. Actual tire pressure is just fine - but the monitor indicates 30-32 psi - all tires. I have about 950 miles on it, so I was going to just wait and get it looked at when I get the oil changed after 1000 miles.

I did reset the system - but that didnt work. I'll check out the manual tonight.

kensill 08-25-2009 11:33 AM

TPMS sensors area a waste of time and money, just another way to pull money out of the consumer... I've always hated them...

CGM2SSRS 08-25-2009 11:53 AM

This is a big enough issue that GM has issued several TSB's on. I have been having issues since day one. The bad thing, is GM wants ONLY certain of these problems covered under warranty. If your TPS flashes for a minute or so when the key is turned on THEN just stays on your ok. But they are finding out if someone is syncing there tires near another car with tire sensors it likely will foul the others sensors. GM does not want to pay for those types of sensor problems. The first type requires going into the CPU. The TPS are in the door lock regulator program. You have to go in there to look for codes. If there are codes, they must be reset then the tires relearned. If the sensor then continues to set off, it is determined to be a warranty issue.

CGM2SSRS 08-25-2009 11:56 AM

BTW, If you have a custom tune and are worried about losing it if they go in there, it should not be a problem. Just make sure they don't reflash the entire PCM. (THAT THEY STAY IN THE DOOR LOCK PROGRAM)

Dtowndog420 08-25-2009 11:58 AM

Mine has been acting up on my G8 as well!

camaro1 08-25-2009 11:58 AM

there is a bcm update for tire pressure monitor,, have your dealer update your bcm

SSOOCH 08-25-2009 12:22 PM

I know that if I corner really hard and fast in my 2008 HHR SS I get the light stating that there is a problem with TPMS. But after I turn the car off then back on again it's gone. I really can't recreate it at the dealership unless one of their techs comes with me and I scare the **** out of him on a corner. No problems on my 2010 Camaro SS yet......

Richochet83 08-25-2009 01:29 PM

It has to be a GM thing because come to think about it, my 2001 Monte Carlo (May it R.I.P.) had TPMS problems too. But of course it started acting up AFTER the warrenty expired.

@ Camaro1 - Have no idea what a bcm is but I will surely mention that to them. thx

DarricSS 08-25-2009 03:50 PM

Might want to take the wheel off and submerge it in soapy water and look for a bad aluminum cast wheel like i had.

Here is the thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...839#post842839

Teddydog 08-25-2009 06:31 PM

Don't have my Camaro yet, but the TPMS in my 2007 Mazda 3 worked great.

I think the TPMS is a government-mandated thing starting with a certain year--2008. "Improper tire inflation kills! We want you to be safe! Your car will now tell you when you are low. Big Brother is watching....your tire pressure!"

Rob

redjewel 08-25-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richochet83 (Post 842362)
It has to be a GM thing because come to think about it, my 2001 Monte Carlo (May it R.I.P.) had TPMS problems too. But of course it started acting up AFTER the warrenty expired.

@ Camaro1 - Have no idea what a bcm is but I will surely mention that to them. thx

Your Monte didn't collect data from a sensor gauging air pressure in the tire. It used an indirect system through your anti lock brakes. If you had tire with differences in tread depth your system would think you had a low tire becasue the revolutions per mile it was measuring were different. That is why new vehicles have a direct system that actually measures air pressure.

redjewel 08-25-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richochet83 (Post 841558)
My tire monitoring system is acting crazy. Its saying I have low tire pressure on the right passenger side (31 according to the car) but when I checked the pressure manually it says 37. After I put air in the tire anyway and reset the computer, the damn thing is telling me now to service the Tire Monitoring System. So I get to work and tell my co-worker who owners a 2010 Camaro SS and he said he is having the same problem. Needless to say I'm taking it to the dealer to have it looked at but AFTER I get my free pizza from Papa John's tomorrow (lol).

Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

If you hit the reset button to reset the system you actually have to relearn the sensors. It does not do this automatically and that is why it is telling you to service it. It was not done completley. Your local tire store should be able to do it for you rather quickly.