Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Overflow's Great Thread of NASA Knowledge (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237878)

FenwickHockey65 07-17-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 5304285)
Maybe on his birthday. ;)

Awww. :wub:

Did you get my text? Phone might be being dumb, not sure.

Overflow 07-17-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5304293)
Awww. :wub:

Did you get my text? Phone might be being dumb, not sure.

Yeah, I just responded.

Caddyroger 07-17-2012 07:32 PM

Thanks overflow for linking the film again. This is the first time i have watched anythnig this long. It was very interesting.

Overflow 07-17-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caddyroger (Post 5304595)
Thanks overflow for linking the film again. This is the first time i have watched anythnig this long. It was very interesting.

No problem! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :thumbsup: Its a great documentary.

Warhead 07-17-2012 10:10 PM

Question for Overflow:

Was the Cape the only planned launch sight for the shuttle?

Overflow 07-17-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhead (Post 5305455)
Question for Overflow:

Was the Cape the only planned launch sight for the shuttle?

Actually, it wasnt. Shortly before the Challenger disaster, NASA was planning on permanently sending Space Shuttle Discovery to launch from VAFB, which is why they had a Shuttle launch facility there (I'm not quite sure of it's still there.) But after the Challenger disaster, they decided against it. Florida remains the best place to launch because of the following reasons..

1. Florida is close to the equator. Where linear velocity is at it's greatest, making it easier for the spacecraft to escape Earth's atmosphere.

2. When KSC was built, there was really nothing out at Cape Canaveral, which was good for earlier launches.

3. The shuttle needs to be launched on the east coast, over the Atlantic. Just in case debris falls or stuff explodes. They didn't want the shuttle over land if that happened, so it wouldnt hit people. Now why didn't they launch from California, and go west over the Pacific? Simple. When you're heading west, you're going against the rotation of the Earth, which is much like going against the wind. Which is why more powerful rockets are launched heading west.

BowtieBelle 07-18-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 5305786)
Actually, it wasnt. Shortly before the Challenger disaster, NASA was planning on permanently sending Space Shuttle Discovery to launch from VAFB, which is why they had a Shuttle launch facility there (I'm not quite sure of it's still there.) But after the Challenger disaster, they decided against it. Florida remains the best place to launch because of the following reasons..

1. Florida is close to the equator. Where linear velocity is at it's greatest, making it easier for the spacecraft to escape Earth's atmosphere.

2. When KSC was built, there was really nothing out at Cape Canaveral, which was good for earlier launches.

3. The shuttle needs to be launched on the east coast, over the Atlantic. Just in case debris falls or stuff explodes. They didn't want the shuttle over land if that happened, so it wouldnt hit people. Now why didn't they launch from California, and go west over the Pacific? Simple. When you're heading west, you're going against the rotation of the Earth, which is much like going against the wind. Which is why more powerful rockets are launched heading west.

:thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mysteek 07-18-2012 10:11 AM

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: I have a feeling I'm gonna learn a lot from this thread!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :thumbsup:

2010 SSRS 07-18-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek (Post 5307287)
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: I have a feeling I'm gonna learn a lot from this thread!! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: :thumbsup:

Do you want me to take you to the moon

FenwickHockey65 07-18-2012 10:21 AM

Jordy's so smart. :wub: :D

Drew10 07-18-2012 10:23 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/money/econom...obs/56234378/1

It's space shuttle related. I read this in U.S.A. Today and found it interesting.

Mysteek 07-18-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS (Post 5307316)
Do you want me to take you to the moon

And leave me there?? :iono: SURE!!! :thumbsup: I would enjoy life without bills, chaos, work, and enjoy life until my oxygen tank ran outta air and then die cruelly. :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 5307333)
Jordy's so smart. :wub: :D

:word: She knows her stuff!!

2010 SSRS 07-18-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek (Post 5307417)
And leave me there?? :iono: SURE!!! :thumbsup: I would enjoy life without bills, chaos, work, and enjoy life until my oxygen tank ran outta air and then die cruelly. :thumbup:

I would never leave you there :D

CamaroSkooter 07-18-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mysteek (Post 5307287)

I have a feeling I'm going to lose a lot of productivity in this thread...