Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Had my car back for 3 days... and this. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98635)

GPD151 08-03-2010 09:45 PM

Had my car back for 3 days... and this.

So last Sunday, I had the pass/rear tire incident (bolt in tire) and had to wait until Friday eve when the dealership called to tell me I could pick the car up on Saturday. The car drove just fine, didn't beat on it or anything. Sunday came and went, and Monday night, I was out on an old straight away and decided to play with the car a little bit. I launched, and right after I got out of the clutch I heard a bang from the passenger side rear.

My passenger asked "What was that?" and I told her, "My que to call a tow truck." So I got out and verified that my passenger rear half shaft sheared from the hub. Tow truck came, picked us up, dropped the car off at our local Chevy Dealership.

Talked to the Dealership today, and they said they should have the car back to me thursday night or friday morning, just waiting on the part which is warrantied.

Now I'm not sure why, but they said I could have a rental car from enterprise for 3 days only, that's all GM will warranty. But what if they don't get the car done in the time they expect to?

Two times in 8 days. Awesome.

GTAHVIT 08-03-2010 09:48 PM

I'm really puzzled by this... We have Robin Lawrence with an LSA powered 700 RWHP camaro on stock halfshats that he drags regularly on drag radials....

Yet ther are so many stock to mildly modded Camaro throwing shafts...

Man, Seriously sorry to hear the ride is hard down. Glad the dealer isn't giving you any crap about the repair.

Orange5thGen 08-03-2010 09:49 PM

How the heck did it break? That just doesn't sound right......Please post up the details....

2010 SSRS 08-03-2010 09:51 PM

what rpm was you at when you launched

KnightRiderSS 08-03-2010 09:52 PM

Isn't that part on b/o?

GPD151 08-03-2010 10:57 PM

I didn't thin Robin had upgraded his shafts, with him living in my town I should know this info but I don't haha. My car is stock, all except for the muffler delete and QTP Electric cut outs.

It was at 5500 or 6000, I don't recall. It was in competitive mode, which is what I thought prevented that from happening, but I vaguely remember Robin telling me to be careful with that.

Air temp was 81deg, humid out, with a cold front approaching, slight breeze. I was positioned on a straight away, activated competitive mode, applied accelerator and at 55 is when I let off the clutch and thats why I thought I saw it go to 6k.. Heard the bang, and got completely out of everything and coasted into a driveway.

According to the dealership they will have it here in 2 to 3 days tops, and it's coming out of chicago. I expect the part to be in tomorrow, and it take two to three days for them to get it in and work on it.

KnightRiderSS 08-03-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPD151 (Post 2179252)
It was at 5500 or 6000, I don't recall. It was in competitive mode, which is what I thought prevented that from happening, but I vaguely remember Robin telling me to be careful with that.

All the threads I have read say they were in competitive mode when it happened, m6, and dropped the clutch...and thunk....I haven't head of anyone cruising down the highway though? Mostly from a launch?

edneyens 08-04-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTAHVIT (Post 2178816)
I'm really puzzled by this... We have Robin Lawrence with an LSA powered 700 RWHP camaro on stock halfshats that he drags regularly on drag radials....

Yet ther are so many stock to mildly modded Camaro throwing shafts...

Man, Seriously sorry to hear the ride is hard down. Glad the dealer isn't giving you any crap about the repair.

GTAHVIT, do you know if Robin has any suspension mod's like heavy duty trailing arms, toe rods etc. - that would be interesting to know... There is a lot of talk about how effective those are to reducing wheel hop. Perhaps the stock halfshafts can with stand much more without any wheel hop? Just wondering :iono:

GTAHVIT 08-04-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edneyens (Post 2180280)
GTAHVIT, do you know if Robin has any suspension mod's like heavy duty trailing arms, toe rods etc. - that would be interesting to know... There is a lot of talk about how effective those are to reducing wheel hop. Perhaps the stock halfshafts can with stand much more without any wheel hop? Just wondering :iono:

I don't think he does.

And it doesn't seem that the breakage is from wheel hop. They are snaping at impact... so it seems???

Ironically very few people are complaining of wheel hop... :iono:

milesss 08-04-2010 10:32 AM

Im pretty sure robin has all stock rear suspension, I heard he was cutting 1.55 60 foot times up at byron last weekend.

GPD151 08-04-2010 10:58 AM

I've got a video on youtube from my last race at Cordova Dragway Park. I spun the tires briefly (Stock Prielli's) to clean them off, and when I launched, you can hear me having a bit of wheel hop issues.

I'm no expert at racing the m6 cars, all my experience has been in Auto's til now, so this year I have been taking all kinds of tips/hints about it to do it right, and Robin was the first person I've called in the spring time before my first time at the track with it.

However Monday night, I did not have any warning that this was going to happen, Everything was normal until the big bang so to speak.

Scott@Bjorn3D 08-04-2010 11:40 AM

DO NOT USE LAUNCH CONTOL. It is a very bad thing to rev up to 4500 and drop the clutch. Hell of a shock to the drive train and if you don't snap and axles some driveshaft bolts may snap.

PQ 08-04-2010 11:48 AM

Luckily, my half shaft has held up.

Sorry to hear. Glad they are getting you straight.

Ok. I know.

Dr Jkel 08-04-2010 12:09 PM

Kinda of a crazy question, but since this seems to be a problem for a good many Camaro's, if you modded your car would they still cover it?