Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   so many ask me why I suggest this (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500632)

Bo White 07-06-2017 02:49 PM

so many ask me why I suggest this

Ive always recommended keeping intake duration below 230*
This is why:
https://youtu.be/9LTDHiUftlU

By what Ive seen on a street car 230* is the breakover point for the most part of losing too much bottom end and off idle torque for real good low rpm driving and ease of tuning.
This not always the case because of cam design tweaking and real good tuning but for the most part this is why.

OmniCamaro 07-06-2017 04:50 PM

Great show!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

InFiD3ViL 07-06-2017 05:04 PM

I cannot get enough of Freiburger. Really smart guy.

I wish they were able to release these more frequently. Engine Masters & Roadkill are fantastic.

sherob 07-06-2017 05:52 PM

Thanks for these... great info and show!

Avenging Orange 07-06-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo White (Post 9805485)
Ive always recommended keeping intake duration below 230*
This is why:
https://youtu.be/9LTDHiUftlU

By what Ive seen on a street car 230* is the breakover point for the most part of losing too much bottom end and off idle torque for real good low rpm driving and ease of tuning.
This not always the case because of cam design tweaking and real good tuning but for the most part this is why.

:amen::amen::amen::amen:

BFASTNOTLAST 07-06-2017 09:24 PM

Coughing... clearing my throat over here..... :wave: :D

Cant wait for fest!

Dons 10SS 07-07-2017 07:35 AM

Thanks for sharing the link.

Olddudesrule 07-07-2017 10:00 AM

Freiburger rules! Love that they dumb it down for us shade trees.

christianchevell 07-08-2017 10:18 AM

Most ramping on a roller camshaft is much wider than a flat tappet cam helping out the roller, what they call high lift is more inline with the stock camshaft in the ls engine in its specs as far as lift though the stock bumpstick has a lot of LSA and low duration I would just like to point out. They also don't go into adding advance into the LSA or other important things to consider, but they are good at doing a comparison. Choosing a milder cam for the street myself is a choice I made until I have money for other supporting mods as yes Money matters, better anything can so much add costs.

As far as the lifts most use for a mild LS camshaft the .600 and just under area for intake and lessor for the exhaust for lift along with longer duration for the exhaust to clear out the gases is the case for a good daily driving cam shaft as far as torque curve and the engine vacuum but comparatively many will not notice much difference IMO in the drivability with a larger cam unless its much larger...
much larger as most LSA are pretty close in cams, their duration was Huge in the test more inline with a stroker cam shaft for the "larger" cam even beyond what Tick calls the Polluter cam and I believe the duration to be in excess for the lift often a thing people do for a tight LSA to get a more healthy flow and more exhaust sound with the lope.
I daily drive my car, I wanted low end grunt and went milder than my last cam with its more duration and higher lift and tight LSA. I did stroke it though and the low end torque makes all the difference in the world where I drive on the street and its easier on the valve train. The difference in driving feel though from a 235/239 .629/.623 112 lsa to a now 228 / 234 .613/.578 114+4 is damn near not felt....IMO But not just reaching for the high end HP I desire more friendly until I can afford better as in intake; airforce , maybe ls7 small bore heads for the intake also a must and a 102 other than that I will stay with the stock CNC ported because its cheaper by far and may just have to be with a fast intake for the results costs so much more.... but either way I go the cam will be a stroker cam that can use the much larger duration in a way to get the flow into the larger chamber made by stroking without going insane on lift and spring pressure and I imagine it will sound even healthier and of course the numbers will rise but shifting all the power to the top end.....Not Really that useful for the daily driver /street strip car, and as that tests shows .....the torque did not change that much and that's what moves you in a heavy Chevy.

Just my rambling, have a nice day good clip Bo. And yes I will take having higher torque than my HP any day..LOL Its totally a different beast with a stroking versus just camming the heck out of it.

Moto-Mojo 07-09-2017 10:46 AM

Great cams 101 for us novices. Do they have any vids explaining VVT?

gmcvt 11-17-2017 08:44 AM

Bo, are you saying 230 in the context of stock CI? Wouldn't that number change a bit if we were talking about 416 CI, because all things being equal, VE would be better at low speeds? Then again, I guess that would still be dependent to some degree or another on the cylinder head being used, among other things.

Bo White 11-17-2017 04:24 PM

Correct the larger the engine is the more duration ypu can run with good low end power.

gmcvt 11-18-2017 09:15 AM

So that would be true assuming either same or similar cylinder head flow characteristic, right? (ie....purchasing a stroker short block and re-using LS3 heads). But if you went to an aftermarket cylinder head with a larger(need to quantify that) cc intake runner, would you effectively be back to your original point. In other words, again, depending on the design and size of the cylinder head, if the larger cylinder head has less velocity at low lift due to its additional size, would you not find yourself back in the same position that you were highlighting? I hope that makes sense. And I realize that I'm kinda stepping into a HUGE gray area here but Im just looking at the general principle.

Bo White 11-18-2017 09:20 AM

Yes. Gray area.