Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Does anyone have or considered having water/meth injection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255021)

Godsplumber 10-11-2012 04:41 PM

Does anyone have or considered having water/meth injection

If so what do you think about it? What system are you running, what do you recommend? If not, why not?. Let me know what you think.

Z69 10-11-2012 07:24 PM

Not recommend the meth eats the coating on the rotors of the super charger

Godsplumber 10-11-2012 08:35 PM

What about just water

1MtnGoat 10-11-2012 09:02 PM

Probably will do the same. At rate of speed the rotors spin it would be like pressure washing only the rotors are hitting the water droplets.

hognutz 10-11-2012 09:20 PM

the rotors are teflon coated I do believe and depending on how the mixture atomizes it can strip the coating off.

Now if you reasearch it you will see not everbody has the same opintion of how important the coating is.

I would call eaton and snow if you really want to run meth. I think I am liking the chiller solutions better for this car.

Drew P 10-12-2012 06:54 AM

Pros: Large potential power for relatively cheap price (octane/cooling effect)
Cons: If your pump(s) fail, you will probably rebuild your motor.

As to the coating, I have not talked to Eaton directly, but found that the coatings are in fact designed to aid the wear-in process of the rotors. This said, some shops actually completely strip the coatings. I think the real fear is that the coatings will come off while using meth/water and be ingested into the engine.

If anyone has any different/additional thoughts, I too would be interested to hear them.

I have largely held off from this for fear of pump failure. Does anyone know if a two pump (redundancy) system exists?

Godsplumber 10-12-2012 12:10 PM

For some reason i feel the consensus would be to not run water/meth. Rebuilding an engine doesnt sound like something i want to do.

bumblebeecamaro 10-12-2012 01:02 PM

there's some comments in this thread that seem to be from uneducated people when it comes to water/meth injection.

first of all, water/meth has been around and has been used for a long time by a lot of people. I have yet to hear anything negative in terms of wearing this so called coating off rotors. if in fact that was the case, then why haven't these stories came about?

second, water/meth injection is completely safe as long as people don't tune the application where it is dependent on the water/meth system. it's one and only sole purpose is to cool the incoming air mixture which in turn helps to prevent or at least slow down detonation. but no tuner in his or her RIGHT MIND should ever tune an application where it's dependent on the benefits of water/meth.

Z69 10-12-2012 05:00 PM

Trust me I have seen it....the coating will come off and get ingested by the engine. I'll see if I could get some pics. If not do a googel search for your self and you will see the damage to the coating

SC2150 10-12-2012 06:14 PM

Z69 is correct.

Go with the RX Super Chiller. Install is easy and no $ to spend afterwards....it just does its job.

:thumbsup:

Godsplumber 10-13-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z69 (Post 5686810)
Trust me I have seen it....the coating will come off and get ingested by the engine. I'll see if I could get some pics. If not do a googel search for your self and you will see the damage to the coating

I would really like to see more about this

Godsplumber 10-13-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC2150 (Post 5687023)
Z69 is correct.

Go with the RX Super Chiller. Install is easy and no $ to spend afterwards....it just does its job.

:thumbsup:

What are the comparable benefits of each and what ranks better? What are the differences in benefit, ie.. power, etc? What are the cons of each?

dangjohnny 10-13-2012 05:30 PM

Try it. I'd like to see the results!