Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   [ NOT a poll ] What will the 'base' Z28 price be? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44187)

truth411 09-24-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickerda (Post 964927)
Unless GM changes direction, we should expect to see at least two trim levels on the Z28. One would be a bare bone pure muscle and the other fully loaded top end version. As for price, again I would predict GM’s behavior, based on their prior behavior, I think we can safely assume they will want to under price both the GT 500 and the SRT8 and still provide better performance and more horsepower.

Sorry man, But that is not possible. Every trim level of the camaro is more expensive than an equivilant mustang, the same will be for the Z28, it has always been that way. In no way shape or form could Gm sell a 550+hp camaro for under 42k and still be profitable and out perform the competition. Rember Ford is uping its game and are bringing the Heat next year, The 2011 Gt-500 will switch from an Iron block to an alluminum block, which will take about 100lbs off the nose, giving it even better handeling and acceleration. Ford's 5.4 v8 is going away, so a supercharged 5.0 32 Dohc V8 is a no brainer sooner or later.

truth411 09-24-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSARME (Post 965711)
Well. A S/C is about $5,000, so i'm thinking probably $41,000 - $45,000 range.

More like $6,600. But you are forgetting Beefier brakes and suspension, wheels and tires. $50k is most likely the base price.

camarokidz28 09-24-2009 10:49 PM

Going by power per dollar of the 2SS the Z28 should cost about $45,000.

UCI CamaroFan 09-24-2009 10:58 PM

I would say it has to be $50,000 at least!

Stic5 09-24-2009 11:29 PM

I'm gussing high 40's or low 50's. Either way I'm not going to be the sucker that pays $10k over sticker for it when it's new. I'm going to wait for 5 or 6 years down the road when one of those suckers wants to sell for $25k!

Mr. Wyndham 09-24-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alrox (Post 965609)
What GM wants is the car is to be priced as high as possible and people still buy it. They will maximize their profit that way.

A 2010 SRT8 Challenger MSRP is $42,XXX. There is a 0% chance a premium, limited edition Camaro 2 years away will be under that. In fact, the 2010 GT500 is 5-10 thousand dollars more than an SRT8 Challenger. They're not even in the same class because of this price difference.

With Chrylers current dismal state, look for the Challenger to be discontinued within 2 years and the company fall into their inevitable bankruptcy again.

:word: With an exception...not another bankruptcy. If the Challenger is discontinued, it will have been a call straight from Fiat, and I couldn't blame them -- it's uncompetitive, over-priced, and reports absolutely terrible sales. :( But that's neither here nor there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by truth411 (Post 965726)
Sorry man, But that is not possible. Every trim level of the camaro is more expensive than an equivilant mustang, the same will be for the Z28, it has always been that way. In no way shape or form could Gm sell a 550+hp camaro for under 42k and still be profitable and out perform the competition. Rember Ford is uping its game and are bringing the Heat next year, The 2011 Gt-500 will switch from an Iron block to an alluminum block, which will take about 100lbs off the nose, giving it even better handeling and acceleration. Ford's 5.4 v8 is going away, so a supercharged 5.0 32 Dohc V8 is a no brainer sooner or later.

I agree with you on pricing. :)

And I think GM's got a few tricks up their sleeves to keep this particular pony at bay. ;)

WYD OPN 09-25-2009 04:46 AM

Back in early Spring when the Z28 was in one of the "on-again" stages, an acquaintance of mine (sorry, can't disclose) with direct information access gave me an early heads-up about a few things, including initial pricing targets for Z28.

A $52k base including gas guzzler was the number at that time, with a heavy-content standard spec. A few additional options would push a loaded car to $55k-ish. No indication of any provision for a "stripper" de-contented version.

This is neither speculation nor current info; rather it is accurate insider info from just prior to the last Z28 program "hold". Personally, I can hardly wait.

rayainsw 09-25-2009 06:18 AM

low 40s to well into the 50s?

I have read every post here now – and I find the opinions \ speculation interesting.

Clearly my ‘estimates’ are on the low end of those posting. A few more thoughts \ clarifications of where my $$ numbers came from – FWIW. [ Again, I could be very wrong here. ]

My impression is that the S/C 6.2L V8 is fairly well established as the motor. And if an automatic trans. is offered, it will be the 6L90.

Thus, compared to the Mustang repeatedly mentioned here, this is a [ relatively ] ‘off-the-shelf’ drivetrain, with development & significant production volume already in place for the CTS-v. I think that this should allow a lower cost than a roughly equivalent HP \ TQ V8 developed & sold only in one low volume package.

The upgrade from the ‘normal’ CTS to the CTS-v [ again, just under $10K ] includes a change from a 3.6L V6 [ essentially the Camaro’s ‘base’ motor – at just over 300 HP ] all the way to the S/C V8. Where in the Camaro, the ‘normal’ top of the line drivetrain is already a 400+ HP 6.2L V8. Again, this leads me to believe that GM can hold the cost difference to less than the CTS to CTS-v difference.

And GM has shown a willingness, with the CTS-v, to price their top line Performance \ Sport Sedan aggressively, compared to competition such as the BMW M5.

Combined with the [ my guess here, again ] lack of MagRide for a Z28 and the other points I mentioned, I believe that the price increase could be held to less than $10K over a 2SS = $34K.
Thus, my guess is still $43K – ish. Base.

I have book marked this thread, and in 2 years I will see how clear my crystal ball was . . .

We shall see.
- Ray
Hoping I am right – but acknowledging that I may not be . . .

alrox 09-25-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayainsw (Post 966812)
words

The LSA is a guess. Wait atleast 12-18 months to know what motor will be in it. Anything else is pure speculation.

Price of a CTS-V has nothing to do with a Camaro as they're sold to two 100% different groups. Bad comparison from the start.

It will be priced near its relative competitor, the GT500.

Shifty 6 09-25-2009 07:57 AM

I can see the points made by both camps. My heart would live to see a mid $40's Z28 however I think even if GM could keep it that low, I think they are looking for dollars from the Z28. Therefore the pricing will not be as aggressive as they can get it, I look for the base to be just under $50 and optioned up to mid $50's.

radz28 09-25-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2SSARME (Post 965711)
Well. A S/C is about $5,000, so i'm thinking probably $41,000 - $45,000 range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by truth411 (Post 965736)
More like $6,600. But you are forgetting Beefier brakes and suspension, wheels and tires. $50k is most likely the base price.

I think that it would be even more than that. Maybe different prop' shaft, diff', and axles, let alone coils/springs/sway bars. It'd be cool to see some tech' from the ZR1/CTS-V, but I'm affraid it would drive the price WAY up (though I thought I remembered reading the Magneto' bits weren't too much more expensive... I can't see how that'd be the case though... nevermind). It'd be nice to see maybe that as a option, along with maybe upgraded 6-pot calipers on the front and bigger rotors. It sounds like the OEM 4-pots are doing just fine right now though, so who knows?

Quote:

Originally Posted by truth411 (Post 965726)

That's trouble :drool: Where will it end? :D:w00t::drinking:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 966446)
:word: With an exception...not another bankruptcy. If the Challenger is discontinued, it will have been a call straight from Fiat, and I couldn't blame them -- it's uncompetitive, over-priced, and reports absolutely terrible sales. :( But that's neither here nor there.

I agree with you on pricing. :)

And I think GM's got a few tricks up their sleeves to keep this particular pony at bay. ;)

I hope you're right about the tricks :bow::drinking::iono:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WYD OPN (Post 966760)
Back in early Spring when the Z28 was in one of the "on-again" stages, an acquaintance of mine (sorry, can't disclose) with direct information access gave me an early heads-up about a few things, including initial pricing targets for Z28.

A $52k base including gas guzzler was the number at that time, with a heavy-content standard spec. A few additional options would push a loaded car to $55k-ish. No indication of any provision for a "stripper" de-contented version.

This is neither speculation nor current info; rather it is accurate insider info from just prior to the last Z28 program "hold". Personally, I can hardly wait.

Interesting...:popcorn:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayainsw (Post 966812)
I have read every post here now – and I find the opinions \ speculation interesting.

Clearly my ‘estimates’ are on the low end of those posting. A few more thoughts \ clarifications of where my $$ numbers came from – FWIW. [ Again, I could be very wrong here. ]

My impression is that the S/C 6.2L V8 is fairly well established as the motor. And if an automatic trans. is offered, it will be the 6L90.

Thus, compared to the Mustang repeatedly mentioned here, this is a [ relatively ] ‘off-the-shelf’ drivetrain, with development & significant production volume already in place for the CTS-v. I think that this should allow a lower cost than a roughly equivalent HP \ TQ V8 developed & sold only in one low volume package.

The upgrade from the ‘normal’ CTS to the CTS-v [ again, just under $10K ] includes a change from a 3.6L V6 [ essentially the Camaro’s ‘base’ motor – at just over 300 HP ] all the way to the S/C V8. Where in the Camaro, the ‘normal’ top of the line drivetrain is already a 400+ HP 6.2L V8. Again, this leads me to believe that GM can hold the cost difference to less than the CTS to CTS-v difference.

And GM has shown a willingness, with the CTS-v, to price their top line Performance \ Sport Sedan aggressively, compared to competition such as the BMW M5.

Combined with the [ my guess here, again ] lack of MagRide for a Z28 and the other points I mentioned, I believe that the price increase could be held to less than $10K over a 2SS = $34K.
Thus, my guess is still $43K – ish. Base.

I have book marked this thread, and in 2 years I will see how clear my crystal ball was . . .

We shall see.
- Ray
Hoping I am right – but acknowledging that I may not be . . .

Those comparisons don't sound unreasonable, but yeah; I gotta' agee that that is VERY wishful thinking (hey - I'm hoping for it too :thumbsup::D:chevy:)

nfamous209 09-25-2009 09:54 AM

they'll price it most likely at gt500 territory. maybe 1k more.

2cnd chance 09-25-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RicMic (Post 964462)
It would have to start at less than 45K.

GM is all focused on VALUE (ZR/1 is great example) which is great! That being said I agree with the attached post.

Look at the SS/1 better performance than the SRT8 at $10K less, and it compares just under the GT500 in performance for almost $20K less.

YES YOU GO GM, WE LOVE TO SEE YOU OPTING FOR HIGH VALUE!:thumbsup:

Brokinarrow 09-25-2009 10:20 AM

I'm going to bet right around 40k - 45k. Don't really have to worry about 'competing' with the CTS-V as that is a caddy and a luxury vehicle. They will definitely want to price it under the GT500 so they can steal sales from it, and this price point sounds about right for the LSA engine and other body upgrades that will be on the Z28.