CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Track Day Helmets (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527546)

Bigdome77 04-29-2018 05:14 PM

Track Day Helmets

Hello All,

I have a dilemma in picking a helmet for track days. I have a 2018 SS 1LE and I am not a small guy...about 6'1". Seems all the helmets I have tried rub on the roof of the car and the headrest. Are there low profile helmets out there that are still certified and will be allowed at track days? Also are those Recaro Headrests adjustable beyond up and down, or will I need to just remove it for the day.

So far Shoei is my top runner, fits the best and has the smallest size/ lowest weight. Unfortunately it is really expensive.

blazzin1 04-29-2018 05:24 PM

I don’t know if they are any “thinner”, but you need to purchase a “SA2015” rated helmet, which is designed for car racing. I don’t know that Shoei makes any SA helmets, I think they only make motorcycle cycle helmets. Just google “SA2015 helmet”. Most legit sanctioned tracks will require a SA-rated helmet, some may accept the SA2010 rating.

Rock-It Man 04-29-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 10166995)
I don’t know if they are any “thinner”, but you need to purchase a “SA2015” rated helmet, which is designed for car racing. I don’t know that Shoei makes any SA helmets, I think they only make motorcycle cycle helmets. Just google “SA2015 helmet”. Most legit sanctioned tracks will require a SA-rated helmet, some may accept the SA2010 rating.

SA2010 is good until 01/01/2022. No "some" about it.

blazzin1 04-29-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock-It Man (Post 10167182)
SA2010 is good until 01/01/2022. No "some" about it.

You may be right about that. I just know that SA2015 is the most current rating, and SA2010 was the previous rating.

00 Trans Ram 04-30-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdome77 (Post 10166982)
Hello All,

I have a dilemma in picking a helmet for track days. I have a 2018 SS 1LE and I am not a small guy...about 6'1". Seems all the helmets I have tried rub on the roof of the car and the headrest. Are there low profile helmets out there that are still certified and will be allowed at track days? Also are those Recaro Headrests adjustable beyond up and down, or will I need to just remove it for the day.

So far Shoei is my top runner, fits the best and has the smallest size/ lowest weight. Unfortunately it is really expensive.

Please, find a track shop and go try on several models. They all fit VERY differently. Even ones that are the same size and model (closed face, SA2015, etc.) will be different. Some squeeze your cheeks more, some allow glasses, etc.

You can likely find a circle track, drag race, or similar shop near you. If not, call a local track and ask them. I probably tried on 7-8 different helmets at Clausen Racing (here in Louisiana) before deciding on one.

mjk3888 04-30-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdome77 (Post 10166982)
Hello All,

Do you have the seat adjusted all the way down? I clear fine with SA2015 helmet @ 6'0" I think if you are wearing some of the Motorcycle helmets they are a little taller and don't fit as well.

Whitespeed 04-30-2018 01:18 PM

I'm 6'7" and fit fine with a helmet. Mind you, my height is biased towards my legs, with a 38" inseam. I also tend to sit a a fairly reclined position, which helps a fair bit too. Hopefully you're not a T-Rex and can recline the seat more Lol! But I understand that a comfortable seating position is subjective.

Nigel