Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Supercharge vs STS turbo vs Tunning (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130622)

smokay 02-21-2011 01:40 AM

Supercharge vs STS turbo vs Tunning

So far my mods are Injen PowerFlow CAI and MRT v2.0 .. and soon I thinking of BBK Long Tube Headers and Gear Upgrade 3.73 ....

However, I was just wondering what if I just save all the money and go for either Supercharge or STS Turbo ?? :yikes:

I was curious and would like to know what yall think. Why would/wouldn't yall go for Supercharge or Turbo instead of all tunnings.. ? :iono:

And here is my stupid noob question for you....
:popcorn: does supercharge or turbo have an impact on life expectancy of the engine ??

Thank you guys... :clap:

GbrilliantQ 02-21-2011 01:46 AM

I think STS is the only option right now, IPS is doing twin turbo testing right now on C5.
I thought about going Turbo, but now I'm going SS... seems just a better route for me.

A twin turbo v6 does sound nasty though.

GretchenGotGrowl 02-21-2011 08:00 AM

At this point there is no supercharger kit for the LLT. STS makes a single turbo kit and two companies are working on twin turbo kits (SC2050 and IPS). All of these options will get you beyond the RWHP of the SS with the LS3, but they aren't cheap when compared to the Long-Tube headers. If you go with the headers, then you will have to consider what that means for future mods. If you want to later go turbos, then then you will either have to toss the LTs or go with STS.

Anytime you go with FI you will reduce the longivity of the engine. However, if you use good synthetic oils and change them frequently it probably won't be enough that you will notice. Let's say this engine in stock form is good for 200K miles before a rebuild. With FI, resonable boost (say 6-8 psi), changing oil every 3K miles, tranny and differential every 9K, then you will probably still get 150-160K miles out of it. If you frequently trade in vehicles, then you probably won't notice that. If you plan to keep it and keep improving the performance, then you will probably put forged internals in long before 150K. That's my $0.02.

CamaroFreako 02-21-2011 01:39 PM

I wonder why people making Turbo for the V6 and not supercharger.

jagan323 02-21-2011 01:40 PM

OP, I'd go Forced Induction. Just more fun LOL! However, when you go FI, you will have to baby your car even more... which isn't a bad thing, if u have time that is.

jagan323 02-21-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFreako (Post 2868961)
I wonder why people making Turbo for the V6 and not supercharger.

I think from a development standpoint, turbos have always been easier than Superchargers. Also, Turbos give you more room to push for power, as where superchargers are more limited.

Correct me if Im wrong guys lol

CamaroDreams07 02-21-2011 02:30 PM

I think I'd rather go supercharged IF it was available, but it's not. I'm very interested in seeing what these twin turbos end up doing and what price point they will be coming in around.

rtcat600man 02-21-2011 04:39 PM

There is a company out there who has a supercharger on our engine gut it is for the Cadillac. We are in touch with them now to see when they are coming around for the Camaro.

smokay 02-21-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 2867750)
At this point there is no supercharger kit for the LLT. STS makes a single turbo kit and two companies are working on twin turbo kits (SC2050 and IPS). All of these options will get you beyond the RWHP of the SS with the LS3, but they aren't cheap when compared to the Long-Tube headers. If you go with the headers, then you will have to consider what that means for future mods. If you want to later go turbos, then then you will either have to toss the LTs or go with STS.

Anytime you go with FI you will reduce the longivity of the engine. However, if you use good synthetic oils and change them frequently it probably won't be enough that you will notice. Let's say this engine in stock form is good for 200K miles before a rebuild. With FI, resonable boost (say 6-8 psi), changing oil every 3K miles, tranny and differential every 9K, then you will probably still get 150-160K miles out of it. If you frequently trade in vehicles, then you probably won't notice that. If you plan to keep it and keep improving the performance, then you will probably put forged internals in long before 150K. That's my $0.02.

Thanks a lot for this information.. For real.
Appreciate it:thumbsup:

SNV 02-21-2011 06:39 PM

As far as a super charger I think the biggest hold up is the tune. Even though Vince is doing a tune it's really now a true tune. Nobody is in it all the way :(.

smokay 02-21-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 2867750)

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/view.php?pcat=19
How about these v-5 Vortech Superchargers??
they say its made for 1.6~4.0 litter engines... since our LTs are 3.6 wouldn't these work for us too ???

GretchenGotGrowl 02-21-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokay (Post 2870100)
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/view.php?pcat=19
How about these v-5 Vortech Superchargers??
they say its made for 1.6~4.0 litter engines... since our LTs are 3.6 wouldn't these work for us too ???

Sure would, and there was a guy on the forums for a while that was trying to do this. If you have experience, you can do it. If not, you will have to find someone that can fabricate stuff.

Edit -- Just saw where you live. You might want to PM Mike Norris (Indianapolis) and see if he is interested. He certainly has the skill but may not have the time.

chozn4service 02-21-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 2870196)
Sure would, and there was a guy on the forums for a while that was trying to do this. If you have experience, you can do it. If not, you will have to find someone that can fabricate stuff.

Edit -- Just saw where you live. You might want to PM Mike Norris (Indianapolis) and see if he is interested. He certainly has the skill but may not have the time.

Mike is trying to help the V6 motor guys with TB and such. He is short on time as he travels extensively doing tunes all over the world. Not sure if he knows about this but more likely than not, he does. Mike is good people, nice shop and knows his stuff!

rtcat600man 02-21-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNV (Post 2870050)
As far as a super charger I think the biggest hold up is the tune. Even though Vince is doing a tune it's really now a true tune. Nobody is in it all the way :(.

Not true from what I have been told. He has unlocked everything you would want to work with. There was a thread that commented on this one.