Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Motorsports Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Why isn't the Camaro in NASCAR???? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61699)

CamaroScotty 01-20-2010 11:34 AM

Why isn't the Camaro in NASCAR????

Here's your answer:

Here is a quote from the head of GM Racing, Mark Kent -

"We've looked at racing the Camaro, and one thing we do not want to do is to force the car where it shouldn't be," Kent said. "We looked at NASCAR, for example--took a very hard look at running the Camaro in the Nationwide series. That was a request made of us by NASCAR, and we have had a ... See Moretremendous partnership with NASCAR, so we took a very hard look at it.

"At the end of the day, because of the quest for very close competition and the need to have templated bodies in that series, we felt that by forcing the Camaro into the Nationwide templates that we were compromising the body lines of an iconic car. So at the end of the day we just could not get the Camaro in the Nationwide series to satisfy our requirements."

:chevy:

PAUL SS 01-20-2010 11:37 AM

That would be the ugliest Camaro ever built. Have you ever seen a Mustang Funny Car? Not much resemblence (sp) except for the grill and tail lights.

greenrail 01-20-2010 11:47 AM

Scotty:

Good posting. I for one would like to harken back to the Original Trans Am series. real production based autos with necessary safety mods going head to head. Keep hem as close to stock looking as possible.

Now that would be racing to go and see. I went and watched a Mustang Challenge race here at the Autobahn race course last year. Damn, those cars looked awesome. Just had to close my eyes and imagine Camaros and Challengers in the mix.

Ah, the things of which dreams are made!

James4086 01-20-2010 11:54 AM

I agree with coolman, it went from "National Association for Stock Car Automotive Racing" to the National Association for STANDARDIZED Car Automotive Racing.

Scrapppy666 01-20-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 1398838)
All it is ,is a fricken sticker anyhow. They have nothing to do with the real cars that we drive.

true, but manufactures do claim to "learn" things from NASCAR teams.... who knows? :iono:

Angrybird 12 01-20-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenrail (Post 1398819)
Scotty:

Good posting. I for one would like to harken back to the Original Trans Am series. real production based autos with necessary safety mods going head to head. Keep hem as close to stock looking as possible.

Now that would be racing to go and see. I went and watched a Mustang Challenge race here at the Autobahn race course last year. Damn, those cars looked awesome. Just had to close my eyes and imagine Camaros and Challengers in the mix.

Ah, the things of which dreams are made!

I think a Trans Am type series would do good now.. Many of the Nascar tracks now have a roadcourse in the infield... Maybe we should all write to Bruton Smith to start his own race series like that a t all his tracks.. I bet many would go see it...I know a few years ago he looked into starting a new Stock car series, similar to Nascar, when Nascar was holding back approving some of his tracks for a second race.. Now just may be the time if he gets enough feedback.

I can see it now, the "American Muscle Car Racing Series". AMCRS.

PAUL SS 01-20-2010 12:02 PM

Hey Scotty, how's that mule your driving?

greenrail 01-20-2010 12:15 PM

A couple of years ago I was talking to a GM engineer in Detroit, and the one thing they gleaned from participation in NASCAR (and I am sure from other forms or racing also) is Discipline. Regimmented engineering and consistency of development was a key factor in assigning company engineers to work with the various racing teams.

Scrapppy666 01-20-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolman (Post 1398940)
They say that to keep the bean Counters off their backs.

probably

Brokinarrow 01-20-2010 12:17 PM

SAMECAR racing: same car, different stickers :thumbdown:

Angrybird 12 01-20-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokinarrow (Post 1398965)
SAMECAR racing: same car, different stickers :thumbdown:

The nose pieces are all different same basic shape but different indentions for the grill and headlight decals and side window shape...Specific for the car they repersent, Engines are different also. (until they all have to use the Engine Nascar is working on)
Actually the Nationwide cars will be closer in apperance to the production cars than the Cup are.

BRKLYN 01-20-2010 12:23 PM

IROC series, lol

2010 SSRS 01-20-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRKLYN (Post 1398991)
IROC series, lol

I second that:thumbup:

SamIyam 01-20-2010 12:54 PM

Who cares about NASCAR... just a bunch of jelly beans going around in circles.

They have rules to make the cars more competitive... gotta make everyone feel good...

Sam