Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   ZL1 Wheels/Tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Adding air to tires (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268089)

ZL12013 12-29-2012 08:46 AM

Adding air to tires

Is there a way to add nitrogen to your tires at home? Cold weather finally set in and my tires are showing a little low. I was told that you can add air and just replace at a later date.

One-Bad-ZL1 12-29-2012 09:00 AM

Are you telling me our cars tires come nitrogen filled? Or did you have them filled?

ZL12013 12-29-2012 09:10 AM

My car came with nitrogen check the caps on your valve stems, I got 2 sets, one has a N on the top.

DangerZL1 12-29-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by One-Bad-SS (Post 5968100)
Are you telling me our cars tires come nitrogen filled? Or did you have them filled?

Maybe his dealer put it in. I think mine did because the stems have a green cap.

I don't think you could do it unless you had a nitrogen tank. The tire places have a machine that removes the O2 from the air. It's too much trouble to go to a tire store and have them put air in, so I've decided nitrogen is more trouble than its worth.

Mouse6.2 12-29-2012 09:14 AM

I'm sure others will chime in on this. Just add air to them. The nitrogen is a joke if you ask me. I thought I would try it out when we got new tires on our Acadia. I kept fuel mileage records and the nitrogen didn't make a difference. Also the pressure changed just as much with the heat and cold like normal air did. So to me it was a waste of money. Unfortunately my camaro came new with nitrogen filled tires that the dealer installed. I had to pay for that, not like I could have them reclaim it and refill with normal air. I was tired and just wanted to get my baby home. They already took the pinstripe off for me at no charge. Heck, the air we breath is 78% nitrogen anyway.

One-Bad-ZL1 12-29-2012 09:17 AM

I just went out and checked. No green caps with N on them and I didn't read anything when I got the car about nitrogen. So I'm thinking I'm ok cuz I added air to over inflate them for winter storage on the car. Thanks for the response. :thumbsup:

Mouse6.2 12-29-2012 09:21 AM

You either get a cap with a green N on it of just green caps to indicate you have nitrogen in the tires.

DangerZL1 12-29-2012 09:23 AM

The Nitrogen still leaked out of my Accords tires over time, so I decided not to use it again. The Camaro has been a little more stable. I think the dealers add it for mark up and to reduce complaints about the air pressure sensors since it is supposed to not leak out as fast.

RiCorvette 12-29-2012 12:29 PM

KOOK stuff (Keeper Of Odd Knowledge)
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=191

hairtrigger 12-29-2012 12:38 PM

We use nitrogen in our race tires and find the pressure dosen't grow as much due to less moisture.
Nitrogen in car DD tires is a waste of money, just maintain your car and keep the inflation in check. IMO

lambo3 12-29-2012 05:02 PM

I would beg to differ with the thinking re; nitrogen. We purchased nitrogen machines in some dealerships we owned. I installed nitrogen in all my performance cars and it held an absolute pressure cold or hot and did not require adding more nitrogen or air for nearly 12 months in my Porsche turbo as an example. I am a nut about tire pressure and check it offen. If an installer has a good nitrogen machine it first cycles out all the air, and then it installs the nitrogen to the set pressure. Nitrogen is 99% dry and therefore is not technically affected by ambient air temps. Tires also carry less heat in hot temps with nitrogen.

Skylane765 12-29-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZL12013 (Post 5968074)
Is there a way to add nitrogen to your tires at home? Cold weather finally set in and my tires are showing a little low. I was told that you can add air and just replace at a later date.

I have a nitrogen tank at home with a regulator, I have nitrogen already for the plane. If it is dry air it will be ok, air is about 80% nitrogen. It is the water in the air they do not want to get to the sensors. Nitrogen leaks out just like air. We use nitrogen because of the high pressure and dry air. When you fill your tires with air it's no different than nitrogen, as long as it is dry.

Skylane765 12-29-2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerZL1 (Post 5968125)
Maybe his dealer put it in. I think mine did because the stems have a green cap.

I don't think you could do it unless you had a nitrogen tank. The tire places have a machine that removes the O2 from the air. It's too much trouble to go to a tire store and have them put air in, so I've decided nitrogen is more trouble than its worth.

the shops do not remove O2, they remove the water with a air conditioner type unit the cools the air to get the water out.

The dealer tried to sell me nitrogen fills for my tires, that a load of crap and a waist of money.

Skylane765 12-29-2012 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse6.2 (Post 5968128)
I'm sure others will chime in on this. Just add air to them. The nitrogen is a joke if you ask me. I thought I would try it out when we got new tires on our Acadia. I kept fuel mileage records and the nitrogen didn't make a difference. Also the pressure changed just as much with the heat and cold like normal air did. So to me it was a waste of money. Unfortunately my camaro came new with nitrogen filled tires that the dealer installed. I had to pay for that, not like I could have them reclaim it and refill with normal air. I was tired and just wanted to get my baby home. They already took the pinstripe off for me at no charge. Heck, the air we breath is 78% nitrogen anyway.

You are right, as long as the air does not have allot of water in it.