Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Thinking about Supercharging, have qestions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311058)

PsychoZL1 08-04-2013 01:56 PM

Thinking about Supercharging, have qestions

So I'm thinking about getting my Camaro SS supercharged and I have some questions. I already got a quote from my dealership now I'm just trying to decide if supercharging is the route I want to go.

I'm thinking about going with SLP's new TVS 2300 s/c kit. My questions are:
  1. Will I be okay running my CAI intake, ported TB, and catback using just the tune from SLP? (I know a custom tune is definitely recommended)
  2. If I will need a custom tune for all my bolt-on mods listed above, can I at least run the ported tb and catback exhaust using SLP's tune without any issues?
  3. How reliable is this kit?
  4. Can I run the 3.91 gears with a supercharger or is it best to run stock gearing?
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

POWERFREAK 08-04-2013 02:04 PM

If the SLP "canned" tune is for an otherwise stock car, I wouldn't take the chance with it....get a real tune done (or get the SLP tune checked/tweaked), it will run better, not to mention be safer.

Can you run it with those gears? Sure you can....but IMO, with 3.91 gears, I'd recommend a centri SC (like paxton, vortech, pro-charger), they make their boost at higher rpm's, so traction w/ those gears will be easier.

old motorhead 08-04-2013 03:27 PM

Like p'freak mentioned, you need a custom tune if you change much of anything upstream of downstream of the blower.

The blower, itself, may be the most reliable thing under your hood. It won't give you any trouble. Now, the extra power it enables the motor to make, can be problemsome.

3.91 gears can give you issues if you don't have sense enough to modulate the throttle. After a while, you'll know (at least you should) what you can do and what you can't throttle wise. It's going to depend on what tire you're running and the pavement type too. If you want a mindless, stab the throttle and hold on setup, you've made a bad choice with the TVS and the gears. It's a whole lot of fun if you can master it though:happy0180:

Iam Broke 08-04-2013 04:06 PM

3.45's are fine with the SLP. I think the 3.91's would be a waste. I'm traction limited in 1st & 2nd already, 3rd would be with 3.91's.

Modified my K&N MAF tube to mate with the Blackwing tube included in the S/C kit. Loads of fun, Pulley'd down for 9 psi boost. Mods in my garage. Gotta custom tune it, the canned tune is stock only.

Mchlgrrsn 08-04-2013 04:11 PM

If your gonna spend money supercharging I would think you should get a good custom tune. As far as the gears go, put it on and see what you got. You can always get drag radials or drop down in gears. I wouldn't be surprised if drag radials hooked with some good driving skills. As stated above the supercharger is reliable it's the other stuff that can become unreliable. Any way you dice it up strapping in 100plus hp is going to stress something. It's the price we pay for having bad ass cars.

epstein 08-04-2013 05:03 PM

Id do Axles before Id do gears..... just my opinion. Also running Cats ...let alone Regular cats should be a concern.

Mchlgrrsn 08-04-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epstein (Post 6856716)
Id do Axles before Id do gears..... just my opinion. Also running Cats ...let alone Regular cats should be a concern.

Thought he already had the gears. You are correct

hrpiii 08-04-2013 06:46 PM

Tune will be "okay" till you get a 'good' tune by a professional. I have the new SLP, and Rotofab, kooks headers and cat back and runs solid. My next upgrade will be axles, then maybe gears. I have an auto.

Don't go above 3.45 gears, it will be plenty for that S/C.

PsychoZL1 08-04-2013 10:55 PM

Thanks for the responses so far everyone! Looks like I'll definitely need a custom tune. I'll have to get a tuner and custom tune from Ted after I get the supercharger ;)

...and I think I'll stick with the stock rear gears.

Also, have a few other additional questions:
  1. How much rwhp can I realistically expect from the SLP TVS 2300 supercharger system with my current mods and a custom tune?
  2. Will I need to replace the OEM cats with high-flow cats or no cats with the supercharger or will I be fine without upgrading the headers and cats?

Iam Broke 08-05-2013 06:38 AM

Ditch the cats altogether. I have a set of Kooks cats in the attic for inspection time. Most will melt and get blocked causing other issues.

AL1SS/RS 08-05-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoRS (Post 6857968)
Thanks for the responses so far everyone! Looks like I'll definitely need a custom tune. I'll have to get a tuner and custom tune from Ted after I get the supercharger ;)

...and I think I'll stick with the stock rear gears.

Also, have a few other additional questions:
  1. How much rwhp can I realistically expect from the SLP TVS 2300 supercharger system with my current mods and a custom tune?
  2. Will I need to replace the OEM cats with high-flow cats or no cats with the supercharger or will I be fine without upgrading the headers and cats?

Don't know if your a stick or auto. But my set up is much
like yours and I'm at 550 with the LS3 and I'm cat delete.

Unreal 08-05-2013 04:03 PM

At high elevation, I would look into turbos. Either local shop up there can hook you up with a set.

KTWillys 08-05-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoRS (Post 6856254)
So I'm thinking about getting my Camaro SS supercharged and I have some questions. I already got a quote from my dealership now I'm just trying to decide if supercharging is the route I want to go.

I'm thinking about going with SLP's new TVS 2300 s/c kit. My questions are:
  1. Will I be okay running my CAI intake, ported TB, and catback using just the tune from SLP? (I know a custom tune is definitely recommended)
  2. If I will need a custom tune for all my bolt-on mods listed above, can I at least run the ported tb and catback exhaust using SLP's tune without any issues?
  3. How reliable is this kit?
  4. Can I run the 3.91 gears with a supercharger or is it best to run stock gearing?
Thanks in advance! :biggrin:

I have done the slp supercharger and it is a pretty good setup..
but for no reason use the slp tune for more than getting your car to the nearest good tuner..
the slp tune is a laughable joke.. I know this because I have seen it and used it on my car..
yeah your car will run but not for long or very well.
with the slp tune I got less than 400 HP and since the tuner well I now have 595 HP to the ground.. now that is a significant difference and zero knock issues.. and am able to run a much smoother tune as well.

also use a spark plug that is one heat range (6 instead of 5) colder than stock..

edit.. I also am running the stock exhaust manifolds with the stock factory cats..the factory cats will last a lot longer than any aftermarket cats. hands down and you will no emission issues either, I have no issues.
I do run an aftermarket custom exhaust that was made by a guy local to me.. Hanksville Hot Rods. excellent work.
I also live at 6000 feet..
if you have a decent CAI system it will work just fine..
and unless you intend of putting a set of slicks on the back your trans, and axles should be able to handle the HP.. don't beat it up and it will be fine

stanwilliams 08-05-2013 04:12 PM

You can run the stock cats if you want. I have for the last 15,000 miles with my whipple. I think the High flow cats are what fail with a blower. Just go catless when you upgrade to headers.