Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   LS7 availability (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12400)

domano 68 01-27-2009 12:52 PM

LS7 availability

That is LS7, sorry about that!

Can anyone tell me if the LS7 engine is available on the SS model? If so, how much additional? TIA. :chevy:

zebra 01-27-2009 12:54 PM

if you wanna put one in yourself, you can order it from GMPP, but it won't be an option from the factory. i believe the crate engine alone is around $14k

domano 68 01-27-2009 12:54 PM

Maybe some of the dealers will install. :)

LSxJunkie 01-27-2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domano 68 (Post 264876)
That is LS7, sorry about that!

Can anyone tell me if the LS7 engine is available on the SS model? If so, how much additional? TIA. :chevy:

No. LS7 Crate motor is around 17k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by domano 68 (Post 264881)
Maybe some of the dealers will install. :)

Absolutely not.

headpunter 01-27-2009 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 265101)

Absolutely not.

you can get them cheaper then that, and some dealers will do the swap...

TheClassicCarKid 01-27-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 265102)
you can get them cheaper then that, and some dealers will do the swap...

Are we talking about a dealer buying a Camaro, installing an LS7, and then putting it on the showroom? Or taking your car to a dealer and have them swap the engines.
Because I'm pretty sure they won't do the first one.

MerF 01-27-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid (Post 265109)
Are we talking about a dealer buying a Camaro, installing an LS7, and then putting it on the showroom? Or taking your car to a dealer and have them swap the engines.
Because I'm pretty sure they won't do the first one.

I took his post as the latter, personally.

pharmd 01-27-2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 265101)

Absolutely not.

You must not know my dealer...money talks.

justmeron 01-27-2009 08:20 PM

There was a thread about a dealer in Tx I think the dealership started with an H. They were building a model, I think starting price was like $107,000. Oh and with that you get one day driveing school at the track next door. Not sure, maybe it wasnt on here, but I thought it was here I read it.

headpunter 01-27-2009 10:36 PM

i meant the latter, dealers will swap motors. people need to realize that you need to pay to play. you get something like this done you have to pay for repairs. its not like you can expect to have a car customized and get a warranty to go with it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justmeron (Post 265368)
There was a thread about a dealer in Tx I think the dealership started with an H. They were building a model, I think starting price was like $107,000. Oh and with that you get one day driveing school at the track next door. Not sure, maybe it wasnt on here, but I thought it was here I read it.

hennesy isnt a dealer, its a tuner company.

LSxJunkie 01-28-2009 02:46 AM

I never meant a dealer wouldn't do it, I meant that he shouldn't even bother asking. Any stealer that actually will do it will bend you over backwards on labor and probably frak it up.

And I lied about the price. Apparently you can get the motor for 13k now. The price has come down. However, it's another 1900 for PCM and assorted other shit. So about 15k for the same amount of power you can make out of a heads/cam package that costs less than half that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 265586)
i meant the latter, dealers will swap motors. people need to realize that you need to pay to play. you get something like this done you have to pay for repairs. its not like you can expect to have a car customized and get a warranty to go with it.

hennesy isnt a dealer, its a tuner company.

Worst. Idea. Ever. I barely trust dealers to change my oil, much less do a complete motor swap. You really want an LS7? Take your money to someone who's not new at this game. Go to an LSx shop. You might even get some semblance of a warranty from the shop, and these are going to be people who are passionate about cars, not just paid a day's wage for a day's work.

headpunter 01-28-2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 265815)
I never meant a dealer wouldn't do it, I meant that he shouldn't even bother asking. Any stealer that actually will do it will bend you over backwards on labor and probably frak it up.

And I lied about the price. Apparently you can get the motor for 13k now. The price has come down. However, it's another 1900 for PCM and assorted other shit. So about 15k for the same amount of power you can make out of a heads/cam package that costs less than half that.

Worst. Idea. Ever. I barely trust dealers to change my oil, much less do a complete motor swap. You really want an LS7? Take your money to someone who's not new at this game. Go to an LSx shop. You might even get some semblance of a warranty from the shop, and these are going to be people who are passionate about cars, not just paid a day's wage for a day's work.

i can tell you 4 dealers in my area that i would trust to do these sort of things, i can also tell you 1 dealer i wouldnt give any business to. Really if you are so distrustful of your dealer you need to find somewhere else to give your business too.

CamaroScotty 01-28-2009 06:15 AM

Before you even think about this, you should go TALK to a dealer, and get an idea what they're going to charge you to do this.

Txturbo 01-28-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Its not a dealer........its Hennessey Motorsports. They are about 25 miles from my house.

hollywoodGU 01-28-2009 07:46 AM

LS7 swap

From the second i saw the ls7 concept car i wanted it. BUT there is no way i am taking my 38k dollar car and voiding the warranty by putting an additional 17k dollar motor in it. Im just going to wait till my waranty is over do an ls9 swap myself and take the hood and the tail light panel, get them painted flat black, put the LS9 on the hood like the LS7 concept and bam have one of very few, if not the only, LS9 camaros

Edrock 01-28-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSxJunkie (Post 265815)
"...So about 15k for the same amount of power you can make out of a heads/cam package that costs less than half that."

I have to agree with LSx. If you've just got to have that much power and don't mind the risk of voiding a warranty anyway, internal/external mods would be much cheaper and less of a hassle than an engine swap. From what I've been reading from several informed folks on this site is that the LS3 and transmission can certainly handle the mods and then some. And to finish it off, if you must have a badge to advertise what you've done, I'm sure it won't be too hard to find LS7/LS9 badges. Of course, I would never do that because one of my pet peeves is when a V6 mustang owner goes out and buys a 5.0 badge and sticks it on the car to then drive around puttering with a single spaghetti tailpipe like noone would notice....GEEZ! Don't get me started. The point is that you would have a modded LS3, not the actual LS7 or LS9 so don't false advertise IMO but that's just me. Good luck.

;)

Al Robinson 01-28-2009 08:33 AM

Quote:

That was hennesy, and it was not an LS7 it was a LS9 Model HPE 7000 and the starting price was $109,500. Check the homepage about half way down.

rgrizzard 01-28-2009 09:49 AM

If you really want this than do aftermarket like LSx suggested. You can probably get 1 around $20k.

radz28 01-28-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodGU (Post 265879)
From the second i saw the ls7 concept car i wanted it. BUT there is no way i am taking my 38k dollar car and voiding the warranty by putting an additional 17k dollar motor in it. Im just going to wait till my waranty is over do an ls9 swap myself and take the hood and the tail light panel, get them painted flat black, put the LS9 on the hood like the LS7 concept and bam have one of very few, if not the only, LS9 camaros

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edrock (Post 265886)
I have to agree with LSx. If you've just got to have that much power and don't mind the risk of voiding a warranty anyway, internal/external mods would be much cheaper and less of a hassle than an engine swap. From what I've been reading from several informed folks on this site is that the LS3 and transmission can certainly handle the mods and then some. And to finish it off, if you must have a badge to advertise what you've done, I'm sure it won't be too hard to find LS7/LS9 badges. Of course, I would never do that because one of my pet peeves is when a V6 mustang owner goes out and buys a 5.0 badge and sticks it on the car to then drive around puttering with a single spaghetti tailpipe like noone would notice....GEEZ! Don't get me started. The point is that you would have a modded LS3, not the actual LS7 or LS9 so don't false advertise IMO but that's just me. Good luck.

;)

:word::clap::bow: - to LSX' too. Especially about taking a brand new car and tearing it apart. But hey, if you have the money, and trust someone to do it, my hat's off to ya'. I wish you good luck and would be interested in the outcome. I'd so take it to an LSX-GM guy. Lingenfelter is the first to come to mind, followed by Tom Henry, SLP, etc. There's a tuner in my area I'd trust too, but he's about the only one outside these others that I've mentioned. Hey it's your money...

Chevyrocker 01-28-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txturbo (Post 265857)
Its not a dealer........its Hennessey Motorsports. They are about 25 miles from my house.

dude, if it's hennessey, they're putting out a blown 6.2 (LS9) for that price...707 hp 717 lb ft torque...starting price I think is $107,000. Brakes and rotors like the ZR1, wheels, body kit, interior upgrade, etc. That's the one to buy if you got the money...

headpunter 01-28-2009 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodGU (Post 265879)

definately wont be the only one

hollywoodGU 01-29-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headpunter (Post 266153)
definately wont be the only one

ya i know
but hopefully i will never actually see another
atleast that way i wont have to admit there are others haha

iCANTwait 02-06-2009 03:45 AM

Quote:

And I lied about the price. Apparently you can get the motor for 13k now. The price has come down. However, it's another 1900 for PCM and assorted other shit
If I'm not mistaken (and i might be kinda more into carbs and such), but wouldn't you be able to get the ls3 computer re-flashed to work with the ls7?

spd98 02-06-2009 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iCANTwait (Post 278462)
If I'm not mistaken (and i might be kinda more into carbs and such), but wouldn't you be able to get the ls3 computer re-flashed to work with the ls7?

not easily. The ls3 computer is newer and the harness is different.

Redwolf20 02-06-2009 07:41 AM

Thought the LS7 was going bye-bye? :iono:

TomServo 02-06-2009 08:12 AM

For what this swap will cost (car plus LS7 plus labor) you could buy a Z06 for thousands less and really enjoy bragging rights. Oh and have a warranty to back you up.

fireresq157 02-06-2009 10:30 AM

In this case I would rather install a supercharger and pay less than 8 Gs with minimal work, than 20gs with massive work and possibly another transmission (extra money). Yes you have an LS7 engine but for the most part I don't trust dealer mechanics let alone any mechanic. No one will take care of you care as much as you do unless you don't care.

Banshee 02-08-2009 05:51 PM

A Magnuson roots blower, same heads..maybe long tube headers and exhaust. Reprogram.

Good for 120-140 HP. Not bad for 8k and a few days labor.

Wikkid1 02-09-2009 06:54 PM

When I was at the auto show here in St. Louis, I was talking to a representative from a dealership in Cleveland (sorry can't remember the name) and he said his dealership was making the LS7 a $17k option (parts and labor). They take care of the whole thing and they give you the original engine back. He said they already had a few preorders lined up to do it.