Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Borla ATAK versus Stainless Works Retro Chambered (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403610)

Apex Motorsports 04-09-2015 10:34 AM

Borla ATAK versus Stainless Works Retro Chambered

Many Camaro SS owners seem end up trying to choose between these two systems. For that reason we shot videos of each in 720x486 HD and with digital stereo audio.

Note: While the Stainless Works system may seem quieter than the ATAK, that is not the case. It is actually a little louder. The ATAK was recorded first and when we filmed the Stainless Works we had to turn the levels down due to it peaking out the audio equipment.

Borla ATAK cat back system (part #: 140356)

The Camaro SS in our first video belongs to Camaro5 member CamaroHutch. It is equipped with the very popular Borla ATAK cat back system (part #: 140356) with stock exhaust manifolds and cats. It is also running a CAI Inc air intake system.

Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back (part#: CA11CB)

The Camaro SS in our next video belongs to Camaro5 member Tantalizer43. It is equipped with the Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back system (part #: CA11CB) with stock manifolds and cats.

And here is the same car with the addition of a set of Stainless Works 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats (part #: CA11HDRCATST).

winterboy8 04-09-2015 01:00 PM

OK, so if they're so close, and it's so hard to choose, which ones make more power?

Dmpsix 04-09-2015 01:26 PM

They're catbacks, catbacks aren't really there for power. So you shouldn't base your decision off of 1-3 horsepower at the very, absolute best.

I'm actually more interested in the tone between the two, I hear from numerous sources that the Atak is more raspy.

Apex Motorsports 04-09-2015 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winterboy8 (Post 8351260)
OK, so if they're so close, and it's so hard to choose, which ones make more power?

You will not gain any power with either. There is not any power to be gained in the exhaust system behind the cats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmpsix (Post 8351325)
They're catbacks, catbacks aren't really there for power. So you shouldn't base your decision off of 1-3 horsepower at the very, absolute best.

I'm actually more interested in the tone between the two, I hear from numerous sources that the Atak is more raspy.

The ATAK has a higher pitched tone and some rasp. The Retro Chambered has a deeper tone.

Burt 04-09-2015 01:53 PM

I've looked long and hard at both of these options. It's a shame Borla doesn't offer a 3" system with the ATAK mufflers.

Dmpsix 04-09-2015 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports (Post 8351360)

The ATAK has a higher pitched tone and some rasp. The Retro Chambered has a deeper tone.

I see, the retro chambered exhaust looks just like a straight pipe though other than a few changes you can see to the pipe itself.

I'm just scared for $1,000 that it will sound too similar to just a muffler delete.

Apex Motorsports 04-09-2015 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmpsix (Post 8351585)
I see, the retro chambered exhaust looks just like a straight pipe though other than a few changes you can see to the pipe itself.

I'm just scared for $1,000 that it will sound too similar to just a muffler delete.

At first glance they are easy to miss but if you look closely there are 4 sections that look like this.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...sum-630725.jpg

If you look inside it they look like this.

http://www.classicchambered.com/pic/3in.jpg

These acoustically tuned chambered section are what gives a chambered exhaust their signature raw muscle car sound.

Burt 04-09-2015 08:42 PM

If you have the opportunity would you consider re-recording the ATAK catback video, so we could have a truly direct comparison? Your videos are already the go-to for this comparison, but videos with equal audio would truly optimal. Plus you'd get to play with another Borla equipped car ;)

Apex Motorsports 04-10-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt (Post 8352337)
If you have the opportunity would you consider re-recording the ATAK catback video, so we could have a truly direct comparison? Your videos are already the go-to for this comparison, but videos with equal audio would truly optimal. Plus you'd get to play with another Borla equipped car ;)

The only change in the audio settings was we turned the sensitivity down a little because the Retro Chambered was louder. When comparing them back-to-back it will make the Retro Chambered sound not as loud but real world volume is not something you can get a feel for in video anyways.

bionick 04-10-2015 03:09 PM

SW is also cheaper than ATTAK.
I love my SW set up. Headers to tips.
Has a awesome deep growl at low RPM and just sounds like destruction at WOT.
Get compliments daily

Apex Motorsports 04-10-2015 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bionick (Post 8354074)
sounds like destruction at WOT.

:smiling1: I like that. :headbang:

Noctis 04-10-2015 09:16 PM

Throw a cam into the mix and the destructions at WOT becomes hell breaking loose people turn into owls when you go by with bulging eyes and 180 degree neck snap

oepuxuntom 04-10-2015 10:42 PM

I hear from numerous sources that the Atak is more raspy.http://financehotela.com/4k.jpg

Camaro10ss1 04-11-2015 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noctis (Post 8354793)
Throw a cam into the mix and the destructions at WOT becomes hell breaking loose people turn into owls when you go by with bulging eyes and 180 degree neck snap

How's the car been since the cam install?