Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Kev's 2011 2SS Convertible Build [COTW 3/28/11] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132722)

Drago77 03-03-2011 03:28 PM

Kev's 2011 2SS Convertible Build [COTW 3/28/11]

5 Attachment(s)
I've Been following this site for about 18 months now (estimating...) and have been consistently scouring the pages daily, dreaming of the day my car finally came, and I can show her off with pride!

This is my 3rd Camaro- I had a 92 I bought fresh outta HS, Hunter Green RS w silver metallic stripes and silver cloth interior. I did a few cosmetic mods-stripes, light covers, stereo, but nothing drastic

Later on, after selling the 92' for a "family" car, I boought my self a divorce present in 03, a 99' base model V6, stick, with leather, pwr etc... this car began my build enthusiasm. I put on a ground kit, changed wheels, 35th anniversary stripe kit, Halo headlamps, Flowmaster axle back exhaust, and some minor graphic details...

Now, on February 26, 2011 I took delivery of my NEW baby. Worked hard and saved for 4.5 years, putting money away every month- proving that there's still hope for the American way- Work hard, follow the right path, and good things WILL come!

Without further adu, lets start the pics!

These first show my 92, then my 99'

Drago77 03-03-2011 03:33 PM

Delivery- 2/26/2011

5 Attachment(s)
These shots show the car being delivered (Thanks Dave @ Starling Chevy- you were great all the way through- and EXTREMELY patient)

My initial inspection, pulling the tape and signing away nearly 5 yrs of savings!

Buffnshine 03-03-2011 03:42 PM

congrats :popcorn: :thumbsup:

Drago77 03-03-2011 03:47 PM

1st Mod- wheels

7 Attachment(s)
Fisrt thing I had done, was swapping the 20" Midnight Silver wheels for the SLP ZL's 2-" black. Same size as stock, so it was a quick swap, same tires. The new wheels are conciderably lighter, and in my opinion- much better looking and distinctive.

Followed up by her first bath!

Had to go back to detail twice- fisrt to remove some clear protective film then to "clay" the car to remove some spots.

Finally, my first drive!

Drago77 03-03-2011 03:54 PM

Initial pics at home

5 Attachment(s)
COmpletely stock- (except for the wheels)

thespymaster 03-03-2011 03:59 PM

Nice....................

Drago77 03-03-2011 03:59 PM

Stock Interior

4 Attachment(s)
Here's some random interior pics-

Overview, Tanneau cover, rear sub cover, side panel- all stock

Drago77 03-03-2011 04:06 PM

Some vinyl graphic work

3 Attachment(s)
First nights work- vinyl graphics:

Bow Tie Black Outs

Side Marker Black Outs

Faded Side Gills

Taillight Black outs

Bowties and side markers, bought off ebay, I'd give about a B, or 4/5 stars. Fits not perfect, but easy enough to work with, and look pretty good even up close.

Side Gills came from BMCExtreme, very happy with them. Thick, solid film, easy application A or 5/5

Taillights tint was HORRIBLE (another Ebay mishap) VERY, VERY difficult to work with, even after doing tint myself for years, very hard to apply, after 2 hours of work, still have bubbles. Good from afar, but far from good!

Drago77 03-03-2011 04:17 PM

Exhaust=problems!

4 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of the stock vert undercarriage and all the new bracings...

Which in turn, these bracings were found to be a serious pain in the a$$.

Project= remove stock exhaust, using (2) old as dirt floor jacks, a hydraulic hand jack, and basic tools... install Flowmaster American ThunderCat-Back Exhaust kit.

Note to future installers: see thise thin, "V" braces that come from the frame to the center of the car- they HURT whan they snap back on you!!!!!

***NOTE***
Last pic is AFTER the stock exhaust was removed

Drago77 03-03-2011 04:27 PM

ARGH! Don't fit

5 Attachment(s)
First pic shows the main clamp to remove, then the installed FM 3" X pipe...

Then begins the drama.

Note the nearly 2" space shown between the back "V" brace and the center mount...had it been a centemeter or something small, perhaps a few washer.. but this was a big a$$ gap! And, although not distinct by the pics, the actual muffler itself was an extremely tight fit- I could only imagine the rattle if it ran...

The V braces were affixed to the frame, a middle point at the rear schock/spring and the center point at the rear (as pictured)... the center location on the spring, was torqued down EXTREMELY tight, there was no removing that with hand tools... so we left it be, causing the rear portion to be a royal pain in moving to allow clearance for removal/installation of the system.

Drago77 03-03-2011 04:35 PM

Lights

5 Attachment(s)
So after epic failure on the exhaust- its on to lighting....why install regular bulbs with HID headlamps is beyond me, so that was short lived.

Lights by AAC, harness by Adaptive Performance (I've heard some people have issues with these companies, but my experience was good... I do have (1) flickering LED on one light, but I'm not that concerned)- Gotta have those DRLs/Halos on at the same time- looks killer driving around town at night with that combo and no headlamp!

Before (1-2) after (3-5)

PQ 03-03-2011 04:36 PM

Have you found an exhaust system that fit yet, or are you gonna have to fab it, or wait?

IROCanSS 03-03-2011 04:37 PM

DUDE! Your car is fan freakin tastic! I have the Flowmaster A/T, its a great system, too bad it didnt fit! I love the wheels but I suggest a set of lowering springs! They greatly improve the look and the ride.

speedbrds 03-03-2011 04:38 PM

Jealous!