Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Waxing and Clay Bar (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31894)

fieldgoal00 07-11-2009 11:39 AM

Waxing and Clay Bar

Quick question, I'm about to clay bar the car after I wash it today and then wax it after that. I'm doing it all by hand. When I clay bar it, do I go in a back and forth motion or circular? I know I have to keep it lubricated with something like Meguiars Quick detail spray. When I wax the car do I apply it in a circular motion or back and forth again? Same thing when removing it? What, if you do it by hand also, do you apply the wax with and what do you remove it with? I was going to remove it with microfiber towels, but I wasn't sure what I should apply it with? I'm going to either use Zaino or Meguiars gold wax, and I'm going to use the Meguiars clay bar. I'm getting this all at Autozone. Hopefully I'll get some replies in the next half hour. Thanks

ljustin293 07-11-2009 11:42 AM

from what I've read..back and forth.not circular

nasty2ss 07-11-2009 11:46 AM

whats clay bar?

Mr_Draco 07-11-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fieldgoal00 (Post 669433)
Quick question, I'm about to clay bar the car after I wash it today and then wax it after that. I'm doing it all by hand. When I clay bar it, do I go in a back and forth motion or circular? I know I have to keep it lubricated with something like Meguiars Quick detail spray. When I wax the car do I apply it in a circular motion or back and forth again? Same thing when removing it? What, if you do it by hand also, do you apply the wax with and what do you remove it with? I was going to remove it with microfiber towels, but I wasn't sure what I should apply it with? I'm going to either use Zaino or Meguiars gold wax, and I'm going to use the Meguiars clay bar. I'm getting this all at Autozone. Hopefully I'll get some replies in the next half hour. Thanks

Never do circular motions, always back and forth. Do up and down motions on vertical parts such as doors and do left and right motions on horizontal parts, pretty much do it in the direction the water will flow off the car.

Imo car wash soap and water is a better mixture then detail spray as it provides more lubrication and it's cheaper. When I do my car I usually go though half of a 16oz bottle so that cost really adds up.

Apply it with a 100% cotton applicator and remove it with 100% cotton towels, don't use the towels you can buy at Walmart, they are actually made with polyester backing and will scratch the car. Imo Microfiber towels are strictly interior use only and should NEVER be used on the paint of the car.

sav1 07-11-2009 01:42 PM

back and forth . Make sure you spray your bar as well as the paint before rubbing it.. Also, be sure to check the bar often as you may have some grit on it that may hurt your paint. good luck

fieldgoal00 07-11-2009 04:57 PM

I just clay bar'd the car and it looks amazing. I'm going to wax it tomorrow after I get back home from Baton Rouge. Do you think I need to clay it again tomorrow or will a simple wash & dry be sufficient before I wax it?

TheNetGarage 07-11-2009 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasty2ss (Post 669443)
whats clay bar?

Watch this:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-Videos_DVD5_16.aspx

sav1 07-11-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fieldgoal00 (Post 670194)
I just clay bar'd the car and it looks amazing. I'm going to wax it tomorrow after I get back home from Baton Rouge. Do you think I need to clay it again tomorrow or will a simple wash & dry be sufficient before I wax it?

If your driving more then 40 miles I would clay again.. if not.. save your back for extra coats of POLISH. I just finished my 3rd and 4th coat of Zaino polish, car looks wet! :drinking:

hb-rocks 07-11-2009 05:32 PM

seems we have to go over this every month...!

It really doesn't matter how you rub it.......but here's a tip!

USE SMALL PIECES OF THE CLAY BECAUSE..."WHEN" you drop it on the ground it's game over..throw it away...
The lubricant you use will make things slippery and you will drop it...trust me!

using smaller pieces gives you a back up pieces to use!

Have fun and get some good tunes to listen to while your our in the sun with your baby!

Mr_Draco 07-11-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fieldgoal00 (Post 670194)

If you're driving it, I would do it again. If you're driving something else it should be fine with a wash and dry.

PsyDoc 07-11-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Draco (Post 669504)
Never do circular motions, always back and forth.

Why? The clay bar is gliding over the paint with whatever solution you are using, so why is back and forth preferable to circular motions? If you pick-up any contaminants in the clay bar, back and forth vs. circular will not matter as you will still scratch the paint. Mike Phillips says it really does not matter one way or the other as the clay bar is non-abrasive. Personally, when I use a clay bar, I go over the car back and forth in the orientation that the wind would be traveling over the panels.

Regardless, this is nice instructional video.

Sean_W 07-12-2009 07:38 PM

I'm completly new to this clay thing. I watched the video and read the comments above and I think I have it down now. Only question is, how far will a single clay bar go? For example, the size of the one in the hand from the video. Could he keep using that same piece he started with, or would he move on to a new piece for every section of the car?

TheNetGarage 07-13-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_W (Post 673286)
I'm completly new to this clay thing. I watched the video and read the comments above and I think I have it down now. Only question is, how far will a single clay bar go? For example, the size of the one in the hand from the video. Could he keep using that same piece he started with, or would he move on to a new piece for every section of the car?

As it gets dirty you moosh it around until you find a clean spot, no more clean spots means new cay piece. There is enough in the can to do the Camaro 2 to 4 times, depending on how dirty it is and how many you drop on the ground! :laugh::laugh: