Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ugh...I hope I didn't just ticket a C5 member. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223608)

AdamZ 05-14-2012 01:57 AM

Ugh...I hope I didn't just ticket a C5 member.

BUT if I did you sure as hell deserved it.

Anyways I just ticketed a 2011 Inferno Orange SS. So...if you get home and your reading this and you just got a ticket in Warren Co. Please don't go 75 in a 45. Especially on wet roads. I could have easily arrested you there. Jesus Christ.

OffseT 05-14-2012 02:05 AM

You can arrest somebody only going 75? I thought they had to be going triple digits? Excuse my ignorance, I do understand the driving condition is dangerous though.

09'Z28 05-14-2012 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maroboy2001 (Post 4957778)
You can arrest somebody only going 75? I thought they had to be going triple digits? Excuse my ignorance, I do understand the driving condition is dangerous though.

I think in most places 30 over is where they can start arresting, I believe anyway.

AdamZ 05-14-2012 02:22 AM

This driver has had a previous traffic violation this year so I could have arrested him for 4511.20 (Ohio doesn't exactly have a "reckless op") which is "operating a vehicle with disregard to other persons" which 75 in a 45 I am sure we can all agree he wasn't thinking of others. This would normally just be a minor misdemeanor traffic ticket...but since he had that prior violation that would bump this violation up to a misdemeanor of the 4th degree, an arrestable offense. Just gave him the ticket though.

TreasureCoastCamaro 05-14-2012 02:26 AM

wow.... nice to know! Don't speed! or don't get caught speed on radar!

AdamZ 05-14-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TreasureCoastCamaro (Post 4957791)
wow.... nice to know! Don't speed! or don't get caught speed on radar!

I am trained in calculating speed in my head. A nice perk to new officers in Ohio. Don't need the gun or radar as proof anymore :D. Though I would never ticket someone without the proof of the radar or lidar. I would just warn them if I wasn't able to lock a speed in.

Brutal SS 05-14-2012 02:48 AM

I was always curious---what's to stop an officer if he or she wanted to pull someone over (who, let's say was very obviously speeding) but never actually clocked him, to just say themselves, "Hmmmm, I didn't clock it, but I just can't let this one get away.... I'll just say.... 63mph, yeah, that's gotta be close, I'll say 63" ... What would prevent this scenario from playing out??? Thanks!

christianmotox 05-14-2012 02:53 AM

He totally deserved the ticket.

AdamZ 05-14-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutal SS (Post 4957803)
I was always curious---what's to stop an officer if he or she wanted to pull someone over (who, let's say was very obviously speeding) but never actually clocked him, to just say themselves, "Hmmmm, I didn't clock it, but I just can't let this one get away.... I'll just say.... 63mph, yeah, that's gotta be close, I'll say 63" ... What would prevent this scenario from playing out??? Thanks!

Unless you are trained to in visually calculating speeds then you can't do this. BUT ultimately most departments don't require you to lock in a speed nor is it manditory in Ohio. I am not sure how your state is. So...honestly an officer can just right down whatever he/she'd like. As bad as that sounds...officers aren't just going out there seeing someone obey the speed limits then pulling them over and writing them for 20 over. It just doesn't happen. I think I explained that badly so what I am trying to say is...there is nothing to stop an officer from saying whatever he likes.

Before I was trained in reading speeds visually...if I saw someone obviously speeding but I didn't clock them I would just cite them for 4511.20 -"operating a vehicle with disregard to other persons". Which this is just me saying he was driving recklessly at high speeds. Which this is what most officers would do rather than picking a speed. I still do this even after I've gotted the training to calculate speeds viually. I am not writing a speeding ticket unless I have physical proof and I always lock my speeds in. (I am 21 I am not trying to get myself in a pickle this early in my career)

Trust me no officer wants to get caught in a lie over a traffic ticket in court. We aren't trying to piss people off out there and making up stories which is the popular belief. We are just doing our jobs and trying to keep roads safe.

OffseT 05-14-2012 03:52 AM

Absolutely that person should be grateful that you didn't take them to jail!

cam62 05-14-2012 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZ (Post 4957814)
Trust me no officer wants to get caught in a lie over a traffic ticket in court. We aren't trying to piss people off out there and making up stories which is the popular belief. We are just doing our jobs and trying to keep roads safe.

:thumbsup:

Brutal SS 05-14-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZ (Post 4957814)
Unless you are trained to in visually calculating speeds then you can't do this. BUT ultimately most departments don't require you to lock in a speed nor is it manditory in Ohio. I am not sure how your state is. So...honestly an officer can just right down whatever he/she'd like. As bad as that sounds...officers aren't just going out there seeing someone obey the speed limits then pulling them over and writing them for 20 over. It just doesn't happen. I think I explained that badly so what I am trying to say is...there is nothing to stop an officer from saying whatever he likes.

Before I was trained in reading speeds visually...if I saw someone obviously speeding but I didn't clock them I would just cite them for 4511.20 -"operating a vehicle with disregard to other persons". Which this is just me saying he was driving recklessly at high speeds. Which this is what most officers would do rather than picking a speed. I still do this even after I've gotted the training to calculate speeds viually. I am not writing a speeding ticket unless I have physical proof and I always lock my speeds in. (I am 21 I am not trying to get myself in a pickle this early in my career)

Interesting... Thanks for the insight! :thumbsup:

11BEE 05-14-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamZ (Post 4957793)
I am trained in calculating speed in my head. A nice perk to new officers in Ohio. Don't need the gun or radar as proof anymore :D. Though I would never ticket someone without the proof of the radar or lidar. I would just warn them if I wasn't able to lock a speed in.

First, Thank you for putting your life on the line to protect us. I know you don't hear it enough, but we really appreciate it.

Second, How do you calculate speed in your head? What is the process?

AdamZ 05-14-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11BEE (Post 4957980)
First, Thank you for putting your life on the line to protect us. I know you don't hear it enough, but we really appreciate it.

Second, How do you calculate speed in your head? What is the process?

It's easy really. I can't just do it anywhere though. Say I have certain spots in my beat that I like to sit and watch for speeders...I need to figure out how far apart say, a fire hydrant is from a telephone pole. Then depending on the seconds it takes a car to get from the telephone pole to the hydrant determines their mph. So as long as I have a reference points, and I have a general idea of the distance between them, then I can figure out the speed of a vehicle usually within 1-2 mph. Just need to be able to multiply small numbers. Anyone can do it :D