Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Untraceable tune...?? Wha...?? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223108)

BlaqWhole 05-11-2012 03:26 PM

Untraceable tune...?? Wha...??

Hey guys, I just got off the phone with a Diablosport tech. The tech told me that their tunes are totally untraceable. I asked him if the tune throws the ECU into "Not In Readiness" mode and he assured me that it does not. I asked him a couple more times just to be sure and he was pretty confident that their tuner does not leave any trace behind and it cannot be detected. Maybe he was telling me what he thought I wanted to hear? Maybe he was just trying to add to their sales? Maybe he's a new guy and is misinformed? I don't know.

I know this subject has been beaten to death and I apologize. I'm not asking for info on this because I have read most of the posts regarding it already. I already made up my mind that I'm gonna tune my car anyway. I'm only bringing this up in a new thread because I feel like it is new info...at least I have not seen this info in any other threads. Has anyone ever confirmed whether or not this is true. I'm skeptical that their tune is totally undetectable but if it is then that info should be made general. I have a buddy with an Auto Xray scan tool so I will check and see as soon as my tuner comes in. And I will report back any info I gain. In the meantime, maybe someone who already has a scan tool and a Diablosport tuner can check and let us all know. I know I would appreciate it. Anyway, I will update as soon as I find out so check back...

Unreal 05-11-2012 04:33 PM

Any time you flash the ecu it resets the readiness states and you have to drive to reset them.

Synner 05-11-2012 05:00 PM

There's a thread in here somewhere, one of the tuning shops in OH confirmed the local dealership could tell it was tuned with a Diablo.

BlaqWhole 05-11-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 4947831)
Any time you flash the ecu it resets the readiness states and you have to drive to reset them.

Yes, I would have to drive at least 500 miles in my 03 GT to reset the readiness. I don't know how many miles it would be in the SS.

BlaqWhole 05-11-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synner (Post 4947993)
There's a thread in here somewhere, one of the tuning shops in OH confirmed the local dealership could tell it was tuned with a Diablo.

I'd like to see that thread. I will look for it but perhaps you could point me in the right direction. I would think the dealer would be able to tell. However, is it just a select few dealers that can tell or what? And how were they able to tell? I think the giveaway would be that if they tried to flash a tune then they would see that there is already a tune flashed in since the ECU can only accept 1 tune at a time (I think). Or perhaps they could monitor the parameters and determine that they are too far off from a stock tune.

But still, IF Diablosport actually did manage to make a tuner that does not alter the readiness of the ECU, then all one would have to do is re-flash to stock before any warranty work. That way the ECU will still be in readiness mode, all parameters will coincide with the stock ones, the dealer can flash check and see the spot for a tune is still available, and the dealer would be none the wiser.

Maybe tomorrow I will call Diablosport again and ask for some extensive info on how they accomplish this.

Synner 05-11-2012 06:33 PM

Search for Diablo in here. But think about it, if there were a way to make an untraceable tune don't you think every company would offer it? Read the sticky on counter information and decide for yourself. Diable hasn't provided anything independent to confirm their claims.

Whipped416 05-11-2012 07:37 PM

there are tuners that can put ghost tunes on your car and cant be traced.. just contact patrick G.

mulletman 05-12-2012 01:30 AM

Casper also does ghost tunes.

Patrick G 05-12-2012 09:27 AM

Care needs to be taken with stealth tunes. Yes, the CVNs will make your ECM and TCM calibrations appear stock, but your flash counter will have a higher number than stock. Most dealers will only look at the CVNs, but not all. If warranty is really a concern, leave it untuned and unmodifed. Of course, what fun is that?

BlaqWhole 05-12-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick G (Post 4950735)
Care needs to be taken with stealth tunes. Yes, the CVNs will make your ECM and TCM calibrations appear stock, but your flash counter will have a higher number than stock. Most dealers will only look at the CVNs, but not all. If warranty is really a concern, leave it untuned and unmodifed. Of course, what fun is that?

I really hate to ask this, but what are CVN's? And are you the Patrick G that Whipped416 was talking about?

I'm not really concerned about the warranty. I mean, I'm not gonna do anything conspicuous (like a CAI) and I'm not gonna do anything crazy (like a cam install)...at least not just yet. But I have no problem throwing a tune on her and returning it to stock for warranty work and playing dumb if they ever ask me questions. But as with anything, knowledge is power. And knowing what they're looking at and how they gain their info and whether or not they can actually tell if the ECU has been flashed is important info to me.

Patrick G 05-12-2012 10:16 PM

Calibration Verification Numbers are CVNs. When the Dealer looks at your tune file, they check to see if the stock CVNs are there. Most modified tunes change the CVN code making it easy to spot that you have a modified calibration. But a stealth tune gives you a modified tune for ECM and TCM, but with stock CVNs. The only difference is that your flash counters will show more than when it was stock. Trouble comes if you flash in the stock tune. Now you will have even more evidence of the flahses being counted.

Mr_Draco 05-13-2012 04:15 PM

Unfortunately Patrick is correct. There is no such thing as a true stealth tune. The only thing a tuner can do is make it appear on the outside to be stock however the Camaro's ECU has a flash counter and it stores the last 10 tunes. Even if you flash it back to stock, GM will still be able to see your tune.

There is a sticky up top that goes more in depth and there is also a challenge issued to all tuners on how to prove that their tune is undetectable issued 3 years ago. No one to date has accepted the challenge despite the massive monetary gain that company to get if they could prove it.

BlaqWhole 05-13-2012 05:50 PM

I see...well give it time. These cars have only been out there for a short time. Eventually somebody will discover a way around it. Either that or one day a manufacturer will advertise that they offer flash tuning devices that will not void your warranty. And everyone will flock to that car until the other manufacturers follow suit. Or maybe one day a large tuning company will offer a limited warranty. I mean look at Vortech...they now offer drivetrain warranties if you buy their kit and have it professionally installed at one of their approved certified facilities. Who'd have thought a company would ever do that? And that is gonna attract tons of money to them. If other companies don't offer the same, then they're gonna get left behind. It'll come around.

blufin 05-13-2012 07:38 PM

Warranties from supercharger company's is nothing new. Magnacharger and Edelbrock both offer warranties. They are very restrictive in that they will only honor the warranty if it was installed by a certified installer, and there are no other modifications other than the supercharger at the minimum boost level. No headers, no exhaust, no cold air intake. If you pulley down to get more hp, that warranty is now void.