Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Another reason to like the F1 Supercar G2 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319025)

boondocksaint 09-19-2013 11:11 PM

Another reason to like the F1 Supercar G2
 
Okay, it's late and this may not deserve a thread, but I had to say something. Bear with me.

I like the grippy aspect of the tires, in spite of how much road junk they toss into the paint. I thought, meh, grip is good, so I like them.

Well, I like them even more now for one little reason - the rim guard. That bead of rubber that juts out from the edge of the wheel? Yeah. I would've curbed the living daylights out of my left rear tonight if it weren't for that.

Anyone else found themselves saved by this feature?

djnice 09-19-2013 11:49 PM

Yep. Rubbed the front against a curb gong 10 mph and couldn't believe the wheel didn't have a mark.

stardok 09-20-2013 12:21 AM

Yea, took a hit and slit the guard but tire ok. As far as grip, not so good. Had my car at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA and it was loose. The instructors and Pro drivers commented on it. Recommend better tires for the track.

ZL1 TIBS 09-20-2013 05:40 AM

I've had the lip on the tire save me a few times but only when going really slow. The grip with the tires gets worse as they wear.

phantom 09-20-2013 05:57 AM

On wet pavement tonight and managed to stay away from curbs, but I couldn't avoid the wet. Couldn't hook up at all and I'm just tired of avoiding or crawling through sandy, pebbly road spots, drives me nuts how the F1's resemble glue strips to catch flies!

Drew P 09-20-2013 08:01 AM

Once you go Michelin SS you never go back.

Tyler H 09-20-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew P (Post 7020229)
Once you go Michelin SS you never go back.

I just wish Michelin made the stock sizes! I would prefer to stay with the factory sizes.

RexZL1 09-20-2013 08:53 AM

I hit a curb when I first got the car and took a big chunk out of the rim guard. It still scratched the rim, but not bad. I like the tires, but they break loose easily on city streets. I'm sure they're boss on the track, but my track is the city. I think I'm gonna try something else next go-around just for the experience.

boondocksaint 09-20-2013 12:11 PM

I find them plenty grippy on the street. I'll be doing track days next year, probably with about 7k miles on the F1s. I'm the drive-what-you-brung-and-drive-it-home type.

They'll hopefully have Michelins in the stock sizes by then (for replacement). There are already Pirellis. They're supposedly good for a couple seconds on Ferraris. Wonder if that translates to 'Murican. :lol:

cornerspeed92 09-20-2013 04:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I love mine,these things once heated up are planted and secure.I did a track day last month at Fontana and ran a 2:00 lap,which is fast for a stock car.Im an instructor here in Calif.with Speedventures,and a couple weeks ago i took a group of beginners out to show the line,and although i didn't get to get any hot laps in(almost forgot, i had the standard SS 5 spoke/pirellies on)i did hit a couple hard turns,and wow, what a difference.Here are some cool pic's of my tires when i got home and changed.

omegaman 09-20-2013 04:43 PM

The rim guards are brilliant. They've save me a rashed rim on one occasion. Any other tire manufacturers make a performance tire with the rim guard feature?

URBAN LEGEND 09-20-2013 05:36 PM

Wow. So now we take a rim protector, over grip?

URBAN LEGEND 09-20-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew P (Post 7020229)
Once you go Michelin SS you never go back.

PSS that is!

omegaman 09-20-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND (Post 7022021)
Wow. So now we take a rim protector, over grip?

No. Performance first and then other features. Ironically, my dad use to make a similar argument about steel belted radials.

URBAN LEGEND 09-20-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman (Post 7022196)
No. Performance first and then other features. Ironically, my dad use to make a similar argument about steel belted radials.

I bet he didn't have Michelin PSSs either.

boondocksaint 09-20-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND (Post 7022021)
Wow. So now we take a rim protector, over grip?

I don't think you're referring to me, but if you are, no. That's not what I said. :)

Dega Man 09-21-2013 01:15 AM

The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.

URBAN LEGEND 09-21-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boondocksaint (Post 7023026)
I don't think you're referring to me, but if you are, no. That's not what I said. :)

Cool!

URBAN LEGEND 09-21-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dega Man (Post 7023146)
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.

One day everyone will understand...

stardok 09-21-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dega Man (Post 7023146)
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.

Ditto. Felt secure in the bank turn at 120-125 MPH but on tighter turns they felt less sticky. Definitely loose on the street.

boondocksaint 09-21-2013 11:09 AM

Pirelli makes probably the grippiest tires for street applications (non-slicks). Those kwazy Italians.

jessrayo 09-21-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stardok (Post 7019803)
Had my car at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, CA and it was loose. The instructors and Pro drivers commented on it. Recommend better tires for the track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dega Man (Post 7023146)
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.

If you purchase and mount a purpose built tire like a Toyo R888 track tire you will be able to drop about 10 seconds per lap at my local road course. If you mount a drag radial you will shave at least a full second off your quarter mile time. The problem with these specialized tires is that they are unsafe in rain and just not practical on the street. There is no such thing as a do everything tire. Every tire makes compromises of some sort. The Eagle F1 needs to be warmed to operating temp and then it is about the best cornering street tire available. Some like Bridgstones, some like Michelins, I think these tires are a little better in straight line acceleration but not as good with lateral g's. They are both way better in the rain. A street tire needs to be a compromise. Personally I think the Goodyear gives up too much temp tolerance and wet grip. I mount special tires for "racing" events and when my street tires wear out I will put on the Michelin PSS. If you want to drive to the road racing course and run your car without changing a tire the Goodyear F1 is about as good a tire as you will find but is not in the same class as the track specific tires.

crangie 09-21-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dega Man (Post 7023146)
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.

I am Looking forward for the complaints about the trofeos when the z28 gets out. You will see people wondering why the trofeos won't stick on snow. :doh:

I like the goodyears, they are very sticky on the road course. I have to see yet one who can show me that he is faster with the michelin pss than with the goodyears. Never had a issue with them on normal roads being them dry or wet.

URBAN LEGEND 09-21-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crangie (Post 7023966)
I am Looking forward for the complaints about the trofeos when the z28 gets out. You will see people wondering why the trofeos won't stick on snow. :doh:

I like the goodyears, they are very sticky on the road course. I have to see yet one who can show me that he is faster with the michelin pss than with the goodyears. Never had a issue with them on normal roads being them dry or wet.

Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not reality. If you love them that much stick to the GY. Easy enough.

Drew P 09-22-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessrayo (Post 7023805)
If you purchase and mount a purpose built tire like a Toyo R888 track tire you will be able to drop about 10 seconds per lap at my local road course. If you mount a drag radial you will shave at least a full second off your quarter mile time. The problem with these specialized tires is that they are unsafe in rain and just not practical on the street. There is no such thing as a do everything tire. Every tire makes compromises of some sort. The Eagle F1 needs to be warmed to operating temp and then it is about the best cornering street tire available. Some like Bridgstones, some like Michelins, I think these tires are a little better in straight line acceleration but not as good with lateral g's. They are both way better in the rain. A street tire needs to be a compromise. Personally I think the Goodyear gives up too much temp tolerance and wet grip. I mount special tires for "racing" events and when my street tires wear out I will put on the Michelin PSS. If you want to drive to the road racing course and run your car without changing a tire the Goodyear F1 is about as good a tire as you will find but is not in the same class as the track specific tires.

Well said. I guess I should clarify that when i say "PSS or Bust" - I am referring to street driving...not track.

zl1bro 09-22-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dega Man (Post 7023146)
The tires are definitely lacking. Just think what the lap times would be on the ZL1 if it had the pirelli trofeo's that are going to be standard on the Z28! It definitely would not be 3 sec's down in lap times behind the Z28.

Anyone know if the Trofeo's are available for ZL1 size tires?

boondocksaint 09-22-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zl1bro (Post 7025738)
Anyone know if the Trofeo's are available for ZL1 size tires?

Pirelli makes a lot of "supercar" sizes and fitments. They' not always available on tirerack and their ilk, but they are made.

crangie 09-22-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND (Post 7024269)
Just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it's not reality. If you love them that much stick to the GY. Easy enough.

GM choose the GY's for a reason. They over the highest sidewall stiffness in the 285 size. Therefore they are also a major contributor for the good ZL1 and 1LE lap times.

Ass Jessrayo describes with tires you have to compromise. You can't get all in one.

The PSS might be an overall better summer street tire than the GY's but I still doubt that the PSS will be better on the road course .
First they have a softer sidewall and second based on feedbacks from the Porsche community they tend to overheat and become greasy quickly ( i have personally experienced it also in a GT2 on the ring).

Before I jump on the PSS bandwagon I would like to see some data which supports the statements about them being faster than the GY's.

crangie 09-22-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boondocksaint (Post 7025916)
Pirelli makes a lot of "supercar" sizes and fitments. They' not always available on tirerack and their ilk, but they are made.

you could run the 293/35 20 all around. Only place you can get them is at Bob woodman tires so far.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/p-zero-trofeo/

URBAN LEGEND 09-22-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crangie (Post 7025928)
GM choose the GY's for a reason. They over the highest sidewall stiffness in the 285 size. Therefore they are also a major contributor for the good ZL1 and 1LE lap times.

Ass Jessrayo describes with tires you have to compromise. You can't get all in one.

The PSS might be an overall better summer street tire than the GY's but I still doubt that the PSS will be better on the road course .
First they have a softer sidewall and second based on feedbacks from the Porsche community they tend to overheat and become greasy quickly ( i have personally experienced it also in a GT2 on the ring).

Before I jump on the PSS bandwagon I would like to see some data which supports the statements about them being faster than the GY's.

Use what you like.

If you use the Goodyears as a track tire, then I am speechless.
It's a street tire, not a track tire.

Don't jump on the PSS bandwagon. But remember that GM did on the Corvette C7. Like you said, "there is a reason GM choose them."

boondocksaint 09-22-2013 08:16 PM

I wouldn't speculate about GM's reasoning. There are too many unknown factors there to make assumptions as to reasoning, chief among them being money. The Z28 will have Pirellis. The ZL1 has the Goodyears. The Corvette has the Michelins.

Either they're all good only in one specific application - which is highly unlikely - or there are other factors at work.

I created this thread because I thought the rim guard was a bit of kitsch when I got the car. Found out, to my pleasant surprise, that it actually works. Was happy. Made post because I figured there were others out there who also thought it was a gimmick.

It's turned into tire war, and that's like bench racing. It means nothing. There are simply too many variables. One tire might own a certain track on a certain day on a certain car under certain conditions. Preferences vary widely.

Now, with that said, everyone please continue going off topic as it is, for once, interesting. :lol:

ZL1-V 09-22-2013 09:52 PM

I want slicks for the track!
 
I am still happy with my Goodyear tires. All of them Goodyear, Michelin, and Pirelli all have their strong points, I have used all three brands on different vehicles. GM has to buy thousands of tires for these vehicles, of course cost is a factor. Oh and to echo your statement I like the rim protector, I prefer them to non rim protected tires.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.