Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   How are you washing your new Camaro? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26468)

homerlex 06-08-2009 08:42 PM

How are you washing your new Camaro?

Anyone have some good tips for washing your car without getting water spots? We have hard water. Even through our water softener we get spotting. A chamois don't seem to provide very good results either.

Suggestions? Mr Clean Auto Dry?

Nezacant 06-08-2009 08:43 PM

Great question!
:popcorn:

JPAYORK 06-08-2009 08:44 PM

I use meguiars products, mirror glaze. I have not water spot issues on any of my vehicles. I don't work for them but I do love to detail my cars. A few good coats of wax (whatever kind) and water spots just wipe off.

PsyDoc 06-08-2009 08:49 PM

Well, if you already have the hard water spots on your car, then I'd go ahead and find out who the best car detailers are in your area. Perhaps even go over to the Meguiars forum and get some recommendations. Once the water spots are gone, just keep a good coat of wax on the car (wax it 1-2 times a month) and try not to let any water from your hose or sprinklers dry on the car. Over time, the sun can "bake" the minerals in the water into your paint and you might not be able to completely get rid of them. If you want to tackle the job yourself, then the products are there for you to do it but expect to take the better part of a day to do it right.

Bell040 06-08-2009 08:49 PM

Zaino Zaino Zaino...

but only on the GFX because I dont have the rest of the car yet :)

but those GFX look sweet

SSOOCH 06-08-2009 08:50 PM

In my dreams right now! LOL

JPAYORK 06-08-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsyDoc (Post 565732)
Well, if you already have the hard water spots on your car, then I'd go ahead and find out who the best car detailers are in your area. Perhaps even go over to the Meguiars forum and get some recommendations. Once the water spots are gone, just keep a good coat of wax on the car (wax it 1-2 times a month) and try not to let any water from your hose or sprinklers dry on the car. Over time, the sun can "bake" the minerals in the water into your paint and you might not be able to completely get rid of them. If you want to tackle the job yourself, then the products are there for you to do it but expect to take the better part of a day to do it right.

I love Meguiars! They even have the "how to" videos on their site that are very helpful. Order from them all the time.

kdoske 06-08-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bell040 (Post 565735)
Zaino Zaino Zaino...

but only on the GFX because I dont have the rest of the car yet :)

but those GFX look sweet

LOL, Yeah you better keep that GFX kit clean!!!!

beausbriggs 06-08-2009 09:26 PM

Zaino for sure...

Moose 06-08-2009 10:51 PM

For "hard" water, you could invest in a water softener such as this;http://crspotless.com/.

Personally, I'd do the following;

- Wash ONLY when the car is cool.
- NEVER wash in direct sunlight.
- Wash and rinse a panel at a time.
- Get a good coat of wax/polish on the car ASAP. This will be your best protection.

Prior to installing a water softener at home, as long as I followed the above steps, I never had a problem. ;)

Nexus6 06-09-2009 07:00 AM

here is a sediment and hard water filter that is much cheaper

http://www.autogeek.net/deluxe-filter-system.html

BrianGriffin78 06-09-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerlex (Post 565709)
Anyone have some good tips for washing your car without getting water spots? We have hard water. Even through our water softener we get spotting. A chamois don't seem to provide very good results either.

Suggestions? Mr Clean Auto Dry?

I wash with a good quality soap you get from Auto stores. I dry my car with those microfiber towels. I then spray the car with a detailer spray to get rid of any water spots, dirt marks, and etc left over after ther wash. I use this product from Turtle Wax called "Ice". Really great stuff and it makes your car shine. Someone also said to use two water buckets when you wash, that makes a lot of sense to me.

homerlex 06-09-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianGriffin78 (Post 567036)
I wash with a good quality soap you get from Auto stores. I dry my car with those microfiber towels. I then spray the car with a detailer spray to get rid of any water spots, dirt marks, and etc left over after ther wash. I use this product from Turtle Wax called "Ice". Really great stuff and it makes your car shine. Someone also said to use two water buckets when you wash, that makes a lot of sense to me.

I've used Ice before - works great.

Could you explain the "process" that requires 2 buckets?

SSOOCH 06-09-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 566295)

- Wash ONLY when the car is cool.
- NEVER wash in direct sunlight.
- Wash and rinse a panel at a time.
- Get a good coat of wax/polish on the car ASAP. This will be your best protection.

Copy Cat! My exact methods!