Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Tuning bushings (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135483)

Revo1 03-17-2011 03:26 PM

Tuning bushings

Planning to install my springs this weekend (with the help of some trusted friends) and I've been hearing that the bushings will need to be tuned...

Can someone enlighten me? I had no idea this was even possible, let alone how do accomplish it... :facepalm:

RAYSRT8 03-17-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 2974688)
Planning to install my springs this weekend (with the help of some trusted friends) and I've been hearing that the bushings will need to be tuned...

Can someone enlighten me? I had no idea this was even possible, let alone how do accomplish it... :facepalm:

You were close.. It's timing the bushings. Hope this helps

Originally Posted by JusticePete http://www.camaro5.com/forums/cid:im...BD5DB.1CF8C290
While some lower their cars just for the look, many lower their cars for improved function. To get the full benefit of lowering coils, you need an alignment tech that understands performance vehicles and lowered vehicles.

The first step in proper alignment on a lowered car is to break loose the bolts at every rotational suspension bolt. That would the the radius and inner control arm bolts up front. In the rear, the trailing arm, toe link, upper and lower control arm at the knuckle and he lower inner. The car then should be at least bounced. The prefer-ed method is driven gently slowly around the ship parking lot. With the weight of the vehicle on the wheels all the bolts are made tight. This process times the bonded ferule OEM rubber bushes to the new ride height.

Timing the bushings balances the car. The rotational resistance in the bushes is actually a second set of springs in the car. If they are not timed to the new ride height they are creating uneven loads as the car moves over a bump. The suspension will function correctly with the bushes timed and will also last longer. Only a professional that understand suspension will take this extra step.

Your alignment professional should discuss with you how you want to drive your car. The alignment specifications for a weekend warrior drag racer would be different than the specifications for a weekend auto cross warrior. If you want optimum tire life the alignment specs are different from those that want optimal cornering on the highway ramps or twisties.

Suspension and alignment work done well on a Camaro will produce fantastic results. Choose our alignment professional carefully. They will make a real difference in your enjoyment when driving.

Revo1 03-17-2011 03:35 PM

That helps alot, thanks Ray!! :drinking:

RAYSRT8 03-17-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 2974735)
That helps alot, thanks Ray!! :drinking:

No problem.. That's what we are all here for...:)

caverman 03-17-2011 06:41 PM

Go through this thread as well. Look at post #45.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=71994&page=2

Rob@WretchedMS 03-17-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 2975477)
Go through this thread as well. Look at post #45.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=71994&page=2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray2SS (Post 2974706)

Originally Posted by JusticePete http://www.camaro5.com/forums/cid:im...BD5DB.1CF8C290
While some lower their cars just for the look, many lower their cars for improved function. To get the full benefit of lowering coils, you need an alignment tech that understands performance vehicles and lowered vehicles.

The first step in proper alignment on a lowered car is to break loose the bolts at every rotational suspension bolt. That would the the radius and inner control arm bolts up front. In the rear, the trailing arm, toe link, upper and lower control arm at the knuckle and he lower inner. The car then should be at least bounced. The prefer-ed method is driven gently slowly around the ship parking lot. With the weight of the vehicle on the wheels all the bolts are made tight. This process times the bonded ferule OEM rubber bushes to the new ride height.

Timing the bushings balances the car. The rotational resistance in the bushes is actually a second set of springs in the car. If they are not timed to the new ride height they are creating uneven loads as the car moves over a bump. The suspension will function correctly with the bushes timed and will also last longer. Only a professional that understand suspension will take this extra step.

Your alignment professional should discuss with you how you want to drive your car. The alignment specifications for a weekend warrior drag racer would be different than the specifications for a weekend auto cross warrior. If you want optimum tire life the alignment specs are different from those that want optimal cornering on the highway ramps or twisties.

Suspension and alignment work done well on a Camaro will produce fantastic results. Choose our alignment professional carefully. They will make a real difference in your enjoyment when driving.

thank you both

Revo1 03-17-2011 06:57 PM

Thanks guys, gotta love my C5 family! :drinking:

caverman 03-17-2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray2SS (Post 2974706)

I think this was my bad.....I had called it "tune your bushings" in one or two other threads.

Nice to know that I was able to pass along the concept but it's my loss of memory on what it was called....:facepalm:

I take that blame....:bonk:

dragon22 03-18-2011 01:53 AM

That was explained brilliantly! :thumbsup:

Every car I did suspension work on had this done to them. It took a bit longer, but the end result was worth it. Everything responds better and lasts longer. This one step can really prolong the life of the bushings after lowering springs are put in, and as said before, the handling is outstanding!

JusticePete 03-18-2011 08:37 AM

Tune , time, tomatoe, tomaatoe it doesn't matter as we are doing it!

Revo1 03-18-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JusticePete (Post 2977711)
Tune , time, tomatoe, tomaatoe it doesn't matter as we are doing it!

:laugh: True that mah brotha

JusticePete 03-21-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revo1 (Post 2977894)
:laugh: True that mah brotha

Have you tuned, err timed your bushes yet?

chevy 3 03-21-2011 04:31 PM

Don't know if this is ok but this past friday I had my car allined. The guy loosened all the bolts then rolled the car back and had his Helpers bounce the car as he was under the car watching how nose what. Then they mounted stuff too the rims and a half hour later he was done. Dose this sound wright. I had put lowering springs in and he said he was tuning yes tuning the suspension. The car handles like a dream and no squeaks. Am I ok??

JusticePete 03-21-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy 3 (Post 2991219)
Don't know if this is ok but this past friday I had my car allined. The guy loosened all the bolts then rolled the car back and had his Helpers bounce the car as he was under the car watching how nose what. Then they mounted stuff too the rims and a half hour later he was done. Dose this sound wright. I had put lowering springs in and he said he was tuning yes tuning the suspension. The car handles like a dream and no squeaks. Am I ok??

I think your 5th Gen should be good to go. I can't say for sure if you are OK :D