Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Tips for Getting a Camaro! Got any? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296718)

TheAbyss 05-20-2013 09:32 PM

Tips for Getting a Camaro! Got any?

Hello,

I'm a new member that has been lurking here since 2010. I actually loved reading about Camaro5 Fest, the friendly banters between the members, including the bet between to known members!
Anyways, I digress.

It took some time to finally get this close to purchasing a Camaro SS, and I'm just wondering if you can provide any tips for it!

I'm also a beginner when it comes to dealerships. I went to get an idea on how the SS rides and the prices: For a 2013 2SS/RS (with performance shifter), I'm looking at around $50,279. Yes, I live in Canada (Calgary, AB). With $10,000 down payment, I'm looking at $560 monthly for 72 months (0.99% APR). It is something that is achievable to me; however, I'm worried that I might not be finding the best deal around. Is there any way I can get a lower price on the 2013s? Or is the price going to be similar to 2014 Camaros, so I might as well wait for them? The salesman did not do the 4 box thing that gets repeated; all he gave me was the car payments (36-84 months) for $0 and $10,000 down payments, so his interaction seemed a bit sincere to me (pardon my doubt; dealers get a bad rep, sometimes unfairly). Any tips that apply to Canadians from Alberta!?

I drive a 135i fairly regularly, so I am used to some V6 TT power. Test driving the SS proved to be a different monster: while not as nimble, the grunt it provided was incredible. Granted, the reason the SS felt heavy was because it was the convertible. This was more obvious when testing the 1LS, as that one felt light on its feet.
Once, and if, I get a SS Camaro, what can you, ladies and gents, tell me about the experiences that I will have as a long-term Camaro owner? I've seen so many of the nice posts at early years, and this post would be a good one to catch up to how you all have been handling a SS (and LS/LTs) since 2010!!

RonnieG 05-20-2013 10:27 PM

Hey TheAbyss,

I'm new as well and although i can't speak to how the SS rides, I've been dealing with dealerships quite a bit down here in Florida. I've over 10 visits to the 6 dealerships in the area as I've bought my 2LT and am in the market again looking to upgrade to 2SS with 1LE (I too was sold upon driving the SS for the first time.. I'm aware my car is quite new, but after having that rush of V8 power, I've been feening that power).

When it comes to price, I've been using aol auto's pricing section to see the invoice cost on the vehicle as well as the option pricing. With that i go to a dealership and make an offer about $200 over invoice and i don't budge telling them if they agree to my price i will sign everything immediately. With that you can find their rock bottom price and then compare to another dealership using the same method.

With regards to financing, i have no idea how to improve it and I'm super jealous because with my lousy credit all I'm offered is a 6.9% apr.. so it seems that ill have to pay it rather quickly.

Last few things i know to push a dealership into a better deal is going there at the end of a month as they will be looking to meet quota and if you're looking for a '13 then try to wait until the end of the year.. however you have fewer vehicle options.. not sure when the Canada order cutoff is for the '13's but when i called Chevy they told me i had until June 27.
(Funny though how ALl the dealerships tell me i cannot order one and insist i take one from the lot or do a vehicle search)

Looking for someone to SWAP their Ashen Gray Hood and Rear Spoiler for 1LE versions. I live in Florida and frequently travel to NY. I will drive to you if you are interested in swapping and live somewhere in between.

TheAbyss 05-20-2013 11:16 PM

Thanks!
I'll definitely keep that in mind! I'll go back again at the end of the month and tell them about sticking to $200 over invoice.
I guess I am lucky with 1% APR! I think, though, that the cutoff is likely similar. I'll have to check again!

Anymore more words, people?

EastWood-SS 05-20-2013 11:21 PM

Hey, another Canadian here

I just got my car delivered this week and was stunned by the amazing financing at Chevy Canada. 1.49 is what I got and I sure ain't complaining. Don't know if they're trying to phase out the 2013's or what.

My brother has a Dodge Challenger and he got ripped on the financing. 6.9%. Funny thing too is he's about to get a job at Chrysler so he would have saved 7% on the sale price if he waited :lol:

Anyway, it sounds like a great deal for 2SS. These cars won't be around forever and there are very few in Canada to start with. (winter for 8 months out of the year will do that :lol:) I'd say go for it.

2012-1822 05-20-2013 11:26 PM

Internet shopping my man. You email every dealer with in range of you, tell them what you want and tell them to give you your best price. Go with the winner, however, once you've picked it, print the stuff out, because by the time you get there they will have "sold" that car or change the price for whatever damn reason.

Look, negotiate the price first, don't tell them you need financing, then negotiate your trade if any, finally the financing. Best if you have financing already lined up. Like through your bank or credit union. Then go down there, don't tell the guy what your rate is, ask him for his best rate, his is better or worse, doesn't matter, don't tell him what your other financing rate is. He doesn't need to know that, if he wanted to beat it he would have already.

That's in a nutshell, never be afraid to walk away from a deal, I've made salesmen, and in particular sales managers, red in the face because I was well prepared when I got there and explained to them I wasn't paying that damn price, or better yet tell them you've got a better rate or price at a different dealership, that really pisses them off. It's all about the thrill of the hunt.

Good luck

Bumble.Bee 05-21-2013 01:03 AM

Dang man, $50K for an SS. That's rough.

slomaro3.4 05-21-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumble.Bee (Post 6569217)

This. Can you buy in the US? I'm not sure how that would work.

baum 05-21-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012-1822 (Post 6568999)
Internet shopping my man. You email every dealer with in range of you, tell them what you want and tell them to give you your best price. Go with the winner, however, once you've picked it, print the stuff out, because by the time you get there they will have "sold" that car or change the price for whatever damn reason.

Look, negotiate the price first, don't tell them you need financing, then negotiate your trade if any, finally the financing. Best if you have financing already lined up. Like through your bank or credit union. Then go down there, don't tell the guy what your rate is, ask him for his best rate, his is better or worse, doesn't matter, don't tell him what your other financing rate is. He doesn't need to know that, if he wanted to beat it he would have already.

That's in a nutshell, never be afraid to walk away from a deal, I've made salesmen, and in particular sales managers, red in the face because I was well prepared when I got there and explained to them I wasn't paying that damn price, or better yet tell them you've got a better rate or price at a different dealership, that really pisses them off. It's all about the thrill of the hunt.

Good luck

ding ding ding!!!

i agree with all of these and this is what i did.

i emailed all the dealers around me. once i got the best price i asked the others to match. none would come close to the one i purchased from.

When i went to do finance i told them what i could get at my CU and they asked if i would go through them i sad if they would beat it. that they did. my CU was at 1.9% i got 1.7%. needless to say if i carry out my loan i will be giving them a total of like $250 in interest.

keep in mind EVERYTHING on a car deal you can negotiate. the deal itself, the APR (if you have good credit), and the extended warranty

Angrybird 12 05-21-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slomaro3.4 (Post 6569230)
This. Can you buy in the US? I'm not sure how that would work.

I think that I read on here US dealers cannot sell to Canadians. Unless they live in the US. Some kind of trade agreement.

LStick 05-21-2013 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baum (Post 6569420)
ding ding ding!!!

i agree with all of these and this is what i did.

i emailed all the dealers around me. once i got the best price i asked the others to match. none would come close to the one i purchased from.

I emailed 6 dealers and visited 3 in my quest for a Camaro.

Two dealers fell out of the running when their online ad "price" was proven to be BS , adding in "programs" that virtually no one qualifies for, and then not putting any disclaimers in the text of the Ad. Pretty blatant false advertising.

Of the other 4 dealers, another 2 were "We are one price dealerships", where they inflate the vehicles price, and then lowball on the trade in. Huge margin on their numbers over what I eventually settled on. Like $5k huge. I asked them if that was their first offer. They said, "That's our price". I left.
(People actually fall for this horseshirt?)

Another dealer had a 2LS at a great price, but it was proven to be a demo from a recent car show. They insisted it was "new". Technically, it was, but driven (more like beat on) probably by about 1000 people over the course of a week. Yeah, no thanks.
IN the meantime.....courtesy of the knowledge gleaned on this site, I got a $1000.00 dollar private offer. Sweet !!!!!!
I did my own search online, and travelled 45 miles to buy my car. In the color I wanted, at a great price.

TheAbyss 05-21-2013 10:57 AM

Thanks for the tips so far, people! I'll take all what you can give!

I sent an e-mail to the person that originally helped me asking for the price he would have gave; I also told him I'll be checking other dealers for lower prices than his, because that's only fair.

Buying in the US is something I definitely considered, but I don't even know where to start.

TheAbyss 05-21-2013 11:03 AM

He wanted me to call him, so I did. He said since I know the invoice, I have an idea what the dealer gets for a gain. He wants to meet this week to discuss the options for the cars and "negotiate" a fair deal. What does he mean by that? should I be wary of something?

Ringo64 05-21-2013 11:09 AM

I emailed a bunch of dealers around town then took the best 2 and went for a chat with each. Turned out the 2nd was the better deal and was more willing to negotiate with me even further. Just have to see what they are willing to do for you and like said don't be afraid to walk away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumble.Bee (Post 6569217)

It was a vert... I believe. That seems to be the list price around me for a convertible SS

backbaconrules 05-21-2013 11:20 AM

Talk to meltdownaverted she works at the Brooks dealership.

Hope to see you cruising the streets soon. :thumbup: