Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   CEL after engine cover removal (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223994)

Cobra Kai 05-15-2012 11:02 AM

CEL after engine cover removal

I removed my engine cover for a few days while I'm having someone paint it for me. In the meantime, a couple of days later, the CEL came on. I spoke to onstar and they told me it was because of too much O2 in the mixture. They didn't know why (blocked fuel line? bad sensor, etc?). Does anyone think it could be related to removing my engine cover? That seems really weird to me but I guess anything's possible? Any help is appreciated!

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-15-2012 12:06 PM

The best thing to do is to take it to your local dealership to run any diagnostics on it. If you would like I can even help set up an appointment for you. Please keep me updated.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

Apex Motorsports 05-15-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai (Post 4965089)
I removed my engine cover for a few days while I'm having someone paint it for me. In the meantime, a couple of days later, the CEL came on. I spoke to onstar and they told me it was because of too much O2 in the mixture. They didn't know why (blocked fuel line? bad sensor, etc?). Does anyone think it could be related to removing my engine cover? That seems really weird to me but I guess anything's possible? Any help is appreciated!

The only way it could be related is if you accidentally messed something up while you were pulling it off. The cover performs no function.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc (Post 4965480)
The best thing to do is to take it to your local dealership to run any diagnostics on it. If you would like I can even help set up an appointment for you. Please keep me updated.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service

:word:

DCC1464 05-15-2012 12:14 PM

umm, did you forget to put the oil cap back on. you have to remove the oil cap to remove the engine cover and this would allow excess air not read by the MAF. could be a simple fix with no dealership hassel

Cobra Kai 05-15-2012 12:27 PM

you know what? I might not have put it back on!! I'll go check!

Cobra Kai 05-15-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCC1464 (Post 4965520)
umm, did you forget to put the oil cap back on. you have to remove the oil cap to remove the engine cover and this would allow excess air not read by the MAF. could be a simple fix with no dealership hassel

Ok I give you a lot of credit! Not only did you figure it out 100% but you somehow knew that I'm completely absent minded. I just went out to the lot of my office and looked under the hood and there's no filler cap! I can't believe I did that! Thanks so much

DCC1464 05-15-2012 05:09 PM

FTW! glad it was not a major problem

Oneslowz28 05-30-2012 08:40 PM

I'm sorry but that is funny as hell. We have all been there with something so simple and stupid. I usually call it my duh! Moment. Glad to hear it wasn't anything major