Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Motorsports Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Drag radials? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235716)

Supercharged SS 07-14-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avacamaro (Post 5287104)
The 18" corvette wheels will not work unless you buy spacers. The spacers you will need cost $135 each. This means it's not worth using the C6 wheels. I know because I tried and have C6 wheels (18"). Just buy light wheels that will fit. Buy the way I have 2- 18" X 10.5" 5 spoke C6 wheels for sale.

Can you clarify this please? I'm at the track right now with a Camaro running c6 wheels. I also ran the C6 z06 18 x 9.5 with no spacers.

Thank you.

jrpxxii 07-14-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 5287410)
Can you clarify this please? I'm at the track right now with a Camaro running c6 wheels. I also ran the C6 z06 18 x 9.5 with no spacers.

Thank you.

What times are you running Jamie?

mlee 07-15-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin1 (Post 5283945)
Thanks Mike!!! Let me know what you can find. I should have bought a set from you when you were selling them before!!! I'm such a dummy!!!

Hope to get the info on the other place which was in California on Monday. Maybe we can do a group buy or something. I'll probably be needing a set too. Like a dummy I sold my own set w/ tires thinking the ZL would use something a bit different. Still might go w/ some black Forgestars.

mikepage0007 07-16-2012 06:46 AM

the c6 aftermarket repro,s have diff backspacing then the oem rims...also ran the 18inch grand sport wheels with no spacer...only diff between the vette rim and the camaro is the bolt pattern, vette is different by less then 1mm, they slightly spread your studs and would suggest to check for tight every run...

ParisTNDude 07-16-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supercharged SS (Post 5287410)

Thank you.

I read another post somewhere that said clearly the front C6 Vette 18" wheels were a perfect fit. Thanks for clarifying that. Maybe Supercharged SS was thinking C6 Z06 19" wheels? Not sure.

Dan2510 07-23-2012 11:52 PM

Holy confused. SO which vette rim can I get that doesn't require spacers or adapters?

Can I order this rim with a 53 offset
http://www.wheelreplica.com/z06.html

Dan2510 07-23-2012 11:54 PM

And just to clarify...the C6 rim will not fit unless you get spacers?

http://www.factoryreproductions.com/...6-Z06-c141.htm

2FNQUIK 04-19-2013 07:20 PM

Bump because this is some FUNNY stuff

*ninja edit: this shit is HILARIOUS

lexlueger 04-19-2013 07:51 PM

Holy old thread batman:der:

efpardo 05-22-2013 04:02 PM

yes but kind of helpful and funny

AdamZ 06-02-2013 10:40 AM

Wow you guys brought back an ollldddd thread of mine :laugh:

Snidely Whiplash 04-23-2014 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5255743)
I will agree they are better than a stock tire but they still spin. I am not sure what your definition of "just fine" is but I have had Nittos, BFGs, and MT ET Streets and Street Radials on my street cars and Nittos are terrible for good 60 fts.

With a MT you can dump the clutch at 6 grand if you want and they will hook and that is with 850 HP in my Z06....

I have had Nitto 555Rs with 400 HP that don't hook.... To me, a 1.8 or 1.9 60 ft isn't even worth driving to the track. A stock powered car will get a 1.65 60 ft when it hooks so anything less is less than an ideal run, why bother? Because going in a straight line in 13.5 seconds is "fun?"

I race NHRA and IHRA Super Stock, race shifter karts, own some very high HP cars, tune stock cars and trucks as well as powerful ones.... I don't know what your background is besides having a supercharger on a Camaro but encouraging people to spend good money on tires to take to the track that simply do not have great traction is a horrible recommendation.

Why not just use what works best the first time??? The guy didn't say he wants a daily driver tire that works better than stock at the drag strip. he asked where he can get some decent drag radials. Key word is decent. Decent starts at BFG. Nittos are hardly decent (for the strip).

OP, if you are looking for something to use at the strip (and drive to and from the strip) I recommend Mickey Thompsons all day long. If you are looking for something you can put on your car without swapping them out, BFGs are better than Nittos but either will work.

If you go with MT, keep in mind radials are great for an automatic but if you have a stick, I only use ET Streets (non-radials). The sidewall takes the hit of the stick much better, radials hop and break parts....

Here is a clip of my old Z06 on ET Streets (non radials). Headers and a 100 dry shot only (and Pfadt coilovers on road course mode, lol):

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2001...gto_139156.htm

I see TONS of tire info explaining your take on what's good or bad. I've set up suspensions that would allow old school Goodyear Polyglass GT tires to hook. Proper suspension tuning can get most any tire to hook. There are folks running 6 second quarter mile ETs on 10" tires.

Snidely Whiplash 07-20-2014 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 5255743)
I will agree they are better than a stock tire but they still spin. I am not sure what your definition of "just fine" is but I have had Nittos, BFGs, and MT ET Streets and Street Radials on my street cars and Nittos are terrible for good 60 fts.

With a MT you can dump the clutch at 6 grand if you want and they will hook and that is with 850 HP in my Z06....

I have had Nitto 555Rs with 400 HP that don't hook.... To me, a 1.8 or 1.9 60 ft isn't even worth driving to the track. A stock powered car will get a 1.65 60 ft when it hooks so anything less is less than an ideal run, why bother? Because going in a straight line in 13.5 seconds is "fun?"

I race NHRA and IHRA Super Stock, race shifter karts, own some very high HP cars, tune stock cars and trucks as well as powerful ones.... I don't know what your background is besides having a supercharger on a Camaro but encouraging people to spend good money on tires to take to the track that simply do not have great traction is a horrible recommendation.

Why not just use what works best the first time??? The guy didn't say he wants a daily driver tire that works better than stock at the drag strip. he asked where he can get some decent drag radials. Key word is decent. Decent starts at BFG. Nittos are hardly decent (for the strip).

OP, if you are looking for something to use at the strip (and drive to and from the strip) I recommend Mickey Thompsons all day long. If you are looking for something you can put on your car without swapping them out, BFGs are better than Nittos but either will work.

If you go with MT, keep in mind radials are great for an automatic but if you have a stick, I only use ET Streets (non-radials). The sidewall takes the hit of the stick much better, radials hop and break parts....

Here is a clip of my old Z06 on ET Streets (non radials). Headers and a 100 dry shot only (and Pfadt coilovers on road course mode, lol):

http://www.streetfire.net/video/2001...gto_139156.htm

The thread isn't about YOUR car(s) - am I supposed to be impressed? I'm not) and a tire that works for you. The thread is about what will work for the OP who doesn't seem to know much about tires, suspensions, or what works. With the right suspension, you can get most ANY quality tire to hook. Suspension tuning is an art that takes years of experience, especially if you run street tires.

For all we know, the OP has a big turbo that doesn't start winding good until about 2 - 2.5 seconds of WOT. 60' times don't mean squat for that.

Instead of talking what works for YOU, I would kindly ask the OP what his combination is. A wise racer who's worth his salt from a few hundred passes, can then, and ONLY then make a recommendation.

Hell, folks that couldn't tune a suspension to hook BIG block power on "modified" Goodyear Polyglass GT tires back in the day, never made the move up

Snidely Whiplash 07-20-2014 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HufferSS (Post 5256928)
Who knows....but it was apparently a big deal to Boson Higgenbottom the professional racer/photographer and most interesting man in the world so I figured I would add one to my post too.

:D

"I don't always race on drag radials, but when I do, I prefer relined/rebelted Firestone Wide Ovals" :biggrin:

http://0.tqn.com/d/cars/1/5/i/P/1/ag...tiresmoke2.jpg